HELP! Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL installed with NO LATCH

mommie

Okay so I am buying a Radian XTSL. I have a 2000 Subaru 4 door sedan. It does NOT have LATCH. It does have the top teether for the rear middle seat only. Can I install this car seat with using the middle seat belt only?
Please help!

ADS

Maedze

Okay so I am buying a Radian XTSL. I have a 2000 Subaru 4 door sedan. It does NOT have LATCH. It does have the top teether for the rear middle seat only. Can I install this car seat with using the middle seat belt only?
Please help!

Yes, you can. What is the age and size of the child for whom the seat is intended?

Incidentally, a 2000 Subaru will have top tether anchors in all three rear seating positions, not just the middle. What is the model of your Subaru?

mommie

Thanks for your reply. My son just turned 3 and is 28 lbs. My Subaru is an L model. I took it to the dealer to verify and it only has one latch in the middle. I want to make sure it can be installed correctly using the seatbelt before I purchase it.

Maedze

Impreza? Legacy?

If you are planning to install it rear facing the top should fit between the two front seats. I will let someone else comment on compatibility with the center position of Subaru vehicles, but it's important to know exactly what you are driving.

mommie

Oh sorry! lol It is a Subaru Legacy L - 4 door sedan.

Impreza? Legacy?

If you are planning to install it rear facing the top should fit between the two front seats. I will let someone else comment on compatibility with the center position of Subaru vehicles, but it's important to know exactly what you are driving.

Maedze

What are you seatbelt stalks like? (The female end). If they are very, very long, it may be easier to just leave the entire buckle assembly completely enclosed in the belt path, rather than trying to 'twist down' the female end (which is the standard advice for long belt stalks).

mommie

They arent very long. Since I am installing rear facing in the middle seat, I would use the seat belt only? Obviously, I couldnt use the tether since it rear facing..... am I correct on that? I had him forward facing but have decided to turn him RF since its much safer. Thanks for your help!
What are you seatbelt stalks like? (The female end). If they are very, very long, it may be easier to just leave the entire buckle assembly completely enclosed in the belt path, rather than trying to 'twist down' the female end (which is the standard advice for long belt stalks).

Maedze

Correct, you use the seatbelt only.

The Radian actually can be tethered in the rear facing position, and will come with a D-ring to achieve that installation, but it's an 'extra', not a required part of the installation.

Any American/Canadian seat must be able to be installed with just a two-point belt (whether it's a seatbelt or a LATCH strap is irrelevant.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC