HELP! She unclips her chest clip!!!

TexasMama

I am the mom to FIVE.

This is my youngest.

I have never had this big of a problem with car seats before.

All the rest of my kids were soooooo compliant (minus one incident)!

She has a MA 70 in my car and Radian XT in hubby's.

Her siblings are MUCH older and they are all in boosters, so she feels like she is the baby I think.

She is always talking about hating her car seat.

Sigh...her car seat is the BEST we have!

Other kids (6,8,9) are in high backed boosters and 11 year old is out of seats. So it is not like she is the only one.

I know I am supposed to love Britax, by the way, but those happen to be the only car seats my kids ever got out of in a moving vehicle. One was a long time ago...the older Roundabouts...you pressed the button straight down...they got rid of that design...and I got rid of that horrible seat! After that one indcident my son was fine....but this DD. Unbuckles the chest clip ALL THE TIME.

Any seat that is better?

Have you had this problem?

WWYD???

Thanks.

Last edited:
ADS

Stelvis

Honestly, at that age, you've just got to come up with behavioral rewards and punishments. You could show her some YouTube crash tests of dummies with no car seats and explain how she needs to be safe in an accident and how the clip keeps her safe.

Fallon

With Britax the chest clip is made to pop open during a crash ( the European seats don't even have it). So the seat will still function w out it. So hopefully this eases your mind some.

jjordan

You could try getting some sticky velcro and sticking the rough end to the parts of the chest clip that she has to squeeze to undo it. The uncomfortable pokiness might dissuade her. Otherwise, I agree with Stelvis, give her consequences and do your best to eliminate the behavior. If she continues to get away with unbuckling the chest clip, she'll move on to trying to squirm out of the harness and maybe unbuckling it entirely. :(

I assume she is forward facing and so you can see in the rear view mirror if she gets her clip undone? Otherwise I might turn her FF so that you can keep a better eye on her, or assign the older kids to "chest clip watch" and ask them frequently how she is doing.

babyherder

Does she take her arms out of the straps after unbuckling the chest clip? Or does she just ride around harnessed but with the chest clip unbuckled?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC