Help selecting infant car seat

LisaMer

Hello!

I'm having a hard time deciding on an infant car seat for our first due in May. I've read the Consumer Reports reviews and the Safety 1st Designer 22 seems like a great option. It's available in Canada and goes up to 22 lb and 29" (my husband is quite tall). However, Sears Canada also offers a Quinny travel system and this car seat goes to 29". I'm wary about buying the Primo Viaggio b/c of it's short height guidelines and the Britax Companion has not arrived in my city yet. The other problem I have is that I don't like the Quinny stoller and can't buy the car seat on its own. Is the Safety 1st a good seat? I've also heard a lot of negative things about Graco's seats (recalls, fines, etc) and that their plastic isn't great for cold Canadian winters. All advice welcome!!

Lisa =)

ADS
U

Unregistered

Id definitely get a seat with at least a 22lbs 29" limit and no shorter. If you think you might have a large child then you will want all the growth you can get. DS comes from a large family on both sides and at 3m he outgrew his snugride(20lbs 26" limit) at 7 months he outgrew his designer 22(22lbs 29" limit) and at a year he was 32"(23lbs and in a britax marathon). He is now 2.5 and in another seat(britax husky) because he is outgrowing his marathon(US to 65lbs, he is 33-34lbs 38.5" but has a very long torso for his size/age at 15.5-16").

Personally if I had another child Id get a graco safeseat(30lbs 32") so it would last atleast a year or just skip the infant seat all together(most likely this one to save money as I found infant seats a hassle anyway).

I liked the snugride a lot, the designer 22 was ok but it was kinda clunky.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi. The Primo Viaggio definitely isn't worth the money. However, I think you're confusing the negative things you've heard about Graco with Cosco (aka Safety 1st). Cosco is the company that's had all the fines levied because they refuse to recall bad products until many children are injured, etc., etc., etc. That's not to say that Graco seats haven't had recalls, but Cosco is much worse in that dept.

The Safe Seat hasn't made it to Canada yet; it's rumored to be there sometime in March. I'd look for a SnugRide 2 and see if it's available since it goes to 22 lbs.

The Safety 1st Designer infant seat is OK, but it has its harness adjusters on the back and they can be difficult to use. I've also heard complaints about the canopy.

LisaMer

Thanks for your words of wisdom! I live in Calgary and one of the specialty stores here (Bo Bebe) spoke very disparagingly of Graco. Consumer Reports also had something on their website about fines and recalls for Graco. However, it looks like the SafeSeat is available at Sears: (http://www.searsbaby.ca/e/products/...ypeId=0&BrandID=0&ColourFamilyID=0&SizeValue=)
However, not as a travel system. Will the SafeSeat fit in other Graco strollers? Anyone had any experience with the Quinny seats/strollers?

U

Unregistered

I bought the Graco snugride and used it 4 and 5 months respectively for my very tall babies. It's handy for the first few months but has to be replaced quickly. If the Safe seat is available, get it, for the higher weight limits.

I live in cold Canada and had winter babies and found that the plastic behaved, well, like plastic should, I guess.

Dillipop

THe safeseat can be paired with most Graco strollers that have the child tray (the tray in front with the cup holders for the child). It is also compatible with many other brands strollers. THe base of the safeseat is pretty close the the base of the other graco seats. We plan on getting the safeseat for our next one due in July and using the stroller we bought 3 years ago for DS with the seat. It has the tray and should attach securely.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC