Help RF Max Height

milkies

Please refresh my memory. This is our 3rd child and I know I kept our others RF for a while. Our DD is 16mths and RF in her marathon (1st Canadian batch of allowed to go to 65lbs). It is stated max height of 32in which she is now. She is only 21lbs so I would much rather keep her RF since I know this is best but can I, since the max RF height is 32in?
Are there other seats that allow for higher RF heights?

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I am glad you are wanting to keep your daughter rear facing for longer - we like to see age 2 at a minimum, and definitely longer if you can swing it.

There are seats that rear face longer for height. If the below doesn't help you, let us know what vehicle you drive, and what the other kids are in and their ages and weights (torso height helps too - measure from bum to shoulder while sitting).

The newer generation of Britax seats don't give an overall height requirement, but instead require 1" of hard shell above the head. I do not know if they applied this retroactively, or at all to the older generation (referred to here as 'classic marathon'). Some people would make the parental decision to ignore the overall height limit and go with the 1" rule, but I would suggest calling Britax and seeing what they have to say about it. I'm guessing a mid-July 2007 manufacture date? That would mean it expires mid-July 2013 - judging by her weight I'm thinking she probably has quite a lot of room above her head still, and if another year and a half of rear facing time is sufficient for you, you might not need another seat. But first, find out Britax's stance on it, and please let us know!

milkies

Ok so I contacted Britax and they said that nothing was applied retroactively for the max height on the "classic/older" marathon. We are to use it to either 32in height or the max weight whichever comes first which is what I figured.
Our DD still has at least 4-5 in above her head s es like you said there is plenty of room and she has lots of weight left before she reaches the max.
OUr boys are 5 and 7. The 5 yr old is in his frontier 5 pt harness still and has 5 lbs left before he out grows it in weight before height. He's 48in with a seated torso of 18.5. He's a solid boy not chubby at all.
Our 7 yr old is in his parkway booster.
Not sure now if I should continue to use the marathon RF or purchase a new seat. I would likely get good use out of a Boulevard 65 since it has a high weight limit and max 49in standing height.
Does anyone still use their classic marathon RF past the 32in?? Anyone know how the seats/shells have changed in order for them to increase the heght btw the old/new?

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Whether you used it beyond the 32" total height would be a parental decision. The shell was changed significantly on the new models.

How long do you intend to rear face for? If you are looking for a new seat, are you particular to Britax seats? Open to anything else? There are seats that would last longer and potentially be cheaper, if so.

What vehicle do you drive (make, model, year), and where is everyone sitting?

milkies

I plan to RF as long as we can, with the boys there weren't too many options but now that we have many more options available I really feel strongly about RF! We do like Britax but haven't really tried anything else but am open to suggestions. I drive a 2010 Honda Odyssey Touring. Boys are in the back 2 outer seats and DD is in the passenger side captain chair which can be slid over.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC