Help Picking A New Car After An Accident

elliebelly

can anyone offer some quick help (i have to buy a car by tuesday :cool: )

i had a 2002 honda odyssey, which i really hated, but was sold on the safety features. sure enough, i was rear ended (drunk driver, going 55, i was at a standstill) and my dd in a britax husky at 45 lbs and 6 years came out without even a bruise. i had a minor concussion (and am still pretty spacey so i apologize if this doesn't make a lot of sense).

i need to get my new car quickly, as we dont' have another car that fits our family of four. we have ds's 14 and 12, dd is 6 (britax husky), ds is 2 (britax wizard forward facing.

what i really don't want is another minivan. but the odyssey is good, and has lots of rear storage room. i looked at the pilot and really like it, but dh doesn't like the lack of storage room. i'm concerned about how close the third seat is to the rear window. and we both wonder if the big guys will be comfortable back there.

does anyone have a suggestion? because the insurance company is concerned about the facts, i have a little money to play with. i can probably go as high as $45k. and i want something new.

i'm reseaching on the quick with about half a brain, so i would really appreciate any advice/experience here. thank you.

joyce

ADS

elliebelly

i forgot to add one other factor, which is that i'm only 5'1", which means getting something where i can have back up sensors, and even adjustable foot pedals (like the touring model of the odyssey) weighs pretty heavily.

U

Unregistered

Can't help with a car recommendation but want to say that you probably will need to replace your carseats as well. See www.carsafety.org/faq.html#Q27
which will give you info on whether or not your seats need to be replaced.
C.

elliebelly

thanks. we went out and replaced them the following morning. and in case anyone in this situation is concerned about the cost, the insurance company didn't bat an eyelash when i told them they were replacing 3 britax seats (i had two seats and a booster in the car)

U

Unregistered

That is great to hear! Just one less thing for you to be stressed out about. Did they offer to replace them or did you have to 'ask' them?
C.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
We have a Chevy Tahoe which has been great for us but we are a family of 4 not a family of 6. We looked at the Suburban but don't need something that big just yet as we have a crew cab truck right now too. I loved the suburban we drove (2nd row captain chairs like my Tahoe) and the 3rd row was a good distance from the rear cargo door. It also would give you plenty of cargo area. My Tahoe & the Suburban had adjustable foot pedals. I also love the On Star feature in my Tahoe. If I am in a crash they know it and will notify the police & EMS. I will never own another vehicle with out On Star. I have had to use it already when my almost 4yr old locked us out of my truck in the store parking lot. All I had to do was call On Star with my cell phone & they unlocked my doors in a matter of seconds.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC