Help, opinions, experiences please!

mamakaimon

My 14 month old is rf in an alpha omega elite. She is a tiny 19-20 lbs and gains weight very slowly so I anticipate it will be a long time before she hits the 30lb limit. We have another baby on the way, due in January. The infant seat we have (that DD used) is a peg perego prima viaggio sip. I believe it is the 2007 model. Our car is a 2003 pontiac grand am. Not a tiny car (not huge, but a decent size).

We cannot fit a rear facing seat behind DH (driver). I don't understand how people with tiny cars have two rf seats. DH is not super tall (he's tall but just a bit taller than average. It's not like he's exceptionally tall). But he can't move his seat forward and drive with his knees too high. That's not any safer.

I don't want to ff my 14 month old until the limit on her seat. So I need help. How do you do it? What seat(s) do you have, and where do you place them? I know I have lots of time - but I would like to figure this out during the summer. If we wait until mid-winter when the baby is due it will be h*ll to freeze our butts off trying to figure out how we're going to do this. We won't be leaving them both installed, but at least once we figure it out it'll be easier.

So advice? experiences? opinions? please?

Thanks

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hi and welcome to the forums at Car-Seat.org. Good for you for wanting to keep your dd rf'ing to the limits of her seat. :)

For your current install of your dd's seat, have you removed the base from the 3-in-1? That will make it quite a bit narrower and should free up enough room for the peg perego to fit in the middle. You could also try the other way too - the 3in1 in the middle and the peg perego behind the passenger seat.

With your dd being older, you don't need a 45* recline anymore, so if you haven't done it already, you can try installing it more upright. With your dh being tall, it probably wont' fit behind his seat, but it should fit in the middle and the top go between the 2 front seats. The seat can be as upright as 30* measured from vertical.

Between those 2 things, I'm thinking you may be able to fit both your current seats in. Let us know how you make out or if you've already done both those things I'm sure we'll be able to come up with some other ideas.

Depending on how fast your dd gains weight, it may not even be an option to place her ff'ing when the baby arrives as her seat has a 22lb minimum ff'ing weight limit. So I think your plan to figure this out well in advance is a very wise one. :thumbsup:

canadiangie

Hello, and welcome. :)

I agree with Trudy. If you haven't done so already, try taking the base off of your 3-in-1 seat. By doing this it will take up less front to back room while rf. You may need to use one piece of pool noodle to create a touch of recline, but as Trudy said, you can have the seat as upright as 30 degrees because of your dd's age. Taking the base off will also make the seat a bit narrower, which may allow you to install it and the Peg infant seat side by side.

Good for you for keeping your dd rf for as long as possible. :thumbsup:

mamakaimon

Hi and welcome to the forums at Car-Seat.org. Good for you for wanting to keep your dd rf'ing to the limits of her seat. :)

For your current install of your dd's seat, have you removed the base from the 3-in-1? That will make it quite a bit narrower and should free up enough room for the peg perego to fit in the middle. You could also try the other way too - the 3in1 in the middle and the peg perego behind the passenger seat.

With your dd being older, you don't need a 45* recline anymore, so if you haven't done it already, you can try installing it more upright. With your dh being tall, it probably wont' fit behind his seat, but it should fit in the middle and the top go between the 2 front seats. The seat can be as upright as 30* measured from vertical.

Between those 2 things, I'm thinking you may be able to fit both your current seats in. Let us know how you make out or if you've already done both those things I'm sure we'll be able to come up with some other ideas.

Depending on how fast your dd gains weight, it may not even be an option to place her ff'ing when the baby arrives as her seat has a 22lb minimum ff'ing weight limit. So I think your plan to figure this out well in advance is a very wise one. :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for your reply! I have installed the 3-in-1 without the base earlier today actually. It helps a bit, I think just enough that we can put the 3-in-1 in the middle. DH's seat touches the corner of the seat but it doesn't press against it.

I hadn't thought of putting the peg perego in the middle. Silly me. I guess I just assumed since I would usually take the whole seat out it would be more convenient by the door. Plus I think it will be easier for DD to climb into the chair by herself by then.

You're very right about the part I bolded. DD is a very slow gainer. I was telling this to DH earlier. He hasn't argued with me, but I know he doesn't quite believe me that ERF is safer. Thank goodness he just goes with what I say.

I am very thankful for your post! You have put my mind at ease that this can be done!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC