Help - New Car, placement of car seat?

aimee123

Hello. I'm new here. :) I have a 6 month old daughter, and she is (obviously) still in a RF car seat. We use a Graco car seat with the SnugRide base. I'm getting a new car today (moving to a 4-door car from a 2-door), and I have a question about where to place the car seat base. I apologize if my question has been asked. Quite frankly, I'm leaving to get the car within a few hours, and I just don't have time to search through the posts.

My previous car had bucket seats, and there was no center position available, so the car seat was positioned behind the passenger seat (my car had LATCH, which we used). My new car will have a center seat, but does not have LATCH in the center position (I've read that most cars are like this).

So, onto my question.... Is it better to have the car seat in the center position? Or behind the passenger seat so that I can use LATCH? I will be taking it to get inspected, but I do need to put the car seat in before I'm able to get it inspected, so I want to make sure that it's in the safect possible position in the meantime.

Any input will be GREATLY appreciated!! :)

ADS

hsjwmom

Hi!
I'm not a tech, but here is my understanding:

Center is the safest position. LATCH is great and all, but it is not any safer than using a seatbelt for installation. It is just easier to use (sometimes :))
If you can get a solid install of your base in the center position with the seatbelt, that would be best. Otherwise, outboard with LATCH is fine.

Hopefully, someone else will have more detailed info for you!

lovinwaves

Hi!
I'm not a tech, but here is my understanding:

Center is the safest position. LATCH is great and all, but it is not any safer than using a seatbelt for installation. It is just easier to use (sometimes :))
If you can get a solid install of your base in the center position with the seatbelt, that would be best. Otherwise, outboard with LATCH is fine.

Hopefully, someone else will have more detailed info for you!

I couldn't have said it better myself!! :D

I also wanted to add though sometimes the center position is kind of a "bump" and can be hard to get a good install like msbeltran said. I am just concurring that LATCH is no safer than seatbelts. A seatbelt install is wonderful, if that is your option. You can also go to this database and enter your car and carseats to see if someone has been able to get a good center install. I know they are updating the site so your car may not be listed. Also give us your car model and year, maybe somebody on here has this car or has done an install on that car. That is a good possibility, as there are many TECHS on this forum. Another thing is most cars do not allow you to use latch in the center position. Just check the manual of your new car to see if they allow it.

Here is the database to check: http://www.carseatdata.org/

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Nodding in agreement with the previous posters, but wanted to post the actual URL for the compatibility database because carseat.org is a different site entirely (a good one, but it's not the database site ;)): http://www.carseatdata.org/selectseat.php (I often leave off the "data" part of the URL myself, LOL)

aimee123

Wow...thank you all so much for the responses! I really did not expect so many responses. I checked that data website that was given, but my car is not on there. It's a 2007 Toyota Camry. They do have 2005 on there, but I know that this year's model is slightly different. This is the table it gave me. I'm not sure if that link will work....

So, I'm thinking that I'll just install it on the passenger side with LATCH until I can get it inspected. I don't want to drive around using the seat belt until I can get it inspected. I'll have to call on Monday to see when they can see us to inspect it. Does that seem like my best option for now?

When they expect it, do they just inspect the base? Or do they need the car seat (w/baby in it)? I just figured we'd install the base, get a babysitter, and get it inspected while she stays home.

Ha. I'm probably being a bit fanatical about it, but it just seems like this isn't something you take lightly. Everything I read says that motor vehicle accidents cause the most accidental deaths in children. That's pretty scary. :eek: Anyway, I appreciate everyone's help, and I will definitely continue to visit this website for more info. :)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Sounds like a reasonable plan to leave it installed outboard with LATCH if that's what you're more comfortable with and there's less than an inch of movement at the base's beltpath.

I'm not a tech but think it would be much better if you brought along the infant seat, and ideally the baby, too, when you have the carseat checked by a certified technician. The tech can do a thorough check of the whole seat for you instead of just the base and check on the seat's fit in your car and the recline angle when it's clicked on the base, etc. The tech could also possibly give you extra pointers for the harness positioning and fit of your baby in the seat, and the use of the seat in general if you have the "whole package" there. :)

lovinwaves

Sounds like a reasonable plan to leave it installed outboard with LATCH if that's what you're more comfortable with and there's less than an inch of movement at the base's beltpath.

I'm not a tech but think it would be much better if you brought along the infant seat, and ideally the baby, too, when you have the carseat checked by a certified technician. The tech can do a thorough check of the whole seat for you instead of just the base and check on the seat's fit in your car and the recline angle when it's clicked on the base, etc. The tech could also possibly give you extra pointers for the harness positioning and fit of your baby in the seat, and the use of the seat in general if you have the "whole package" there. :)

Yes, I totally agree with Jeanum. Try to bring your baby and infant seat with you. Plus they will want the serial numbers off of your infant seat. They will also probably inspect the infant seat for web fraying, stress lines, make sure there is no recall on the seat, etc... You will feel much better about the install knowing they actually got to do with your baby in there. Good luck!!

Oh, and one other thing. We are all FANATICS on here, no question is silly or to "fanatical"!! We all take this very very seriously ;)

aimee123

I'm so glad I found this website. All of you are so helpful! My friend is dealing with the same issue, so I'm researching this for both of us. Her baby is less than a week old, though, so she's brand new. :)

You make a good point about bringing her with us to get inspected. I was nervous about having her in there before it's inspected. I guess I just need to read the manual and follow the directions (and tips from this website), and I should get it in there pretty good. And then I just need to get it inspected ASAP.

I was just wondering why you don't want to use the belt installation? LATCH is not safer, it's just supposed to be easier, and it's isn't always easier.
I'm worried that I won't do it right with the belt installation. I know that the LATCH method isn't foolproof, but I guess I assumed that she'd be safer because since LATCH is easier, it's more likely to be done correct until it's inspected. Does that make sense? I guess with the things I'm reading, I'm worried that I won't know if it's "properly installed" if I do the belt installation. Now that I think about it, that doesn't really make sense. If I don't know what a proper installation looks like, it doesn't matter what method I use.

So, maybe a better question for me would be how do I know that it's properly installed, regardless of which method I choose to use? I know about how it needs to be less of an inch of movement, but is there anything else I need to look for? Anything else on a "checklist" of making sure that we have a proper installation before we can get it inspected? Mostly I'm worried about feeling safe until we get it inspected. This is kind of funny, but I know I'll feel a lot better when I get it inspected! I'll probably have this huge weight lifted off my shoulder once I can confirm that it's in right. :)

lovinwaves

I'm so glad I found this website. All of you are so helpful! My friend is dealing with the same issue, so I'm researching this for both of us. Her baby is less than a week old, though, so she's brand new. :)

You make a good point about bringing her with us to get inspected. I was nervous about having her in there before it's inspected. I guess I just need to read the manual and follow the directions (and tips from this website), and I should get it in there pretty good. And then I just need to get it inspected ASAP.

I'm worried that I won't do it right with the belt installation. I know that the LATCH method isn't foolproof, but I guess I assumed that she'd be safer because since LATCH is easier, it's more likely to be done correct until it's inspected. Does that make sense? I guess with the things I'm reading, I'm worried that I won't know if it's "properly installed" if I do the belt installation. Now that I think about it, that doesn't really make sense. If I don't know what a proper installation looks like, it doesn't matter what method I use.

So, maybe a better question for me would be how do I know that it's properly installed, regardless of which method I choose to use? I know about how it needs to be less of an inch of movement, but is there anything else I need to look for? Anything else on a "checklist" of making sure that we have a proper installation before we can get it inspected? Mostly I'm worried about feeling safe until we get it inspected. This is kind of funny, but I know I'll feel a lot better when I get it inspected! I'll probably have this huge weight lifted off my shoulder once I can confirm that it's in right. :)

Just make sure you have the less than an inch movement like you said, and if you daughter can hold her up fine then you don't need to worry so much about the 45 degree angle. The reason for the angle is to keep newborns positioned so they don't cut off their air supply if their heads were to fall forward. At 6 months though I think your dd should be fine. You'll do fine!! :)

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
There are already lots of helpful answers here for the OP, but I wanted to add that in certain cars with LATCH only on outboard positions, you can *sometimes* use it in the center, too. In my MIL's Escape (not sure what year - 2003?) I read the manual, and it says that with really wide car seats (wider than 18"?) you can use the latch in the center position. It was very confusing to me, but we had an Evenflo Triumph for DS at the time and could put it in the center. It is even more confusing for me now because I have learned how latch systems are designed, like this H_____H (H stands for hook), so the two hooks actually have a bar between them. I don't think you can use it center in very many cars, but you might want to read the car's manual just to make sure. If you can get a tight install in the center with the seat belt, that would be a good option, but if you feel like you have it installed better outboard with LATCH, then you should just do that, at least until you get to see a tech.

markf1971

Senior Community Member
I agree with the previous posters that the center rear position is best, and that LATCH isn't necessarily better than the seat belt. LATCH is just suppose to be easier and that is not even always the case. Also, that the best way to check the CSS is with the child to arrive harnessed in a CSS that has already been installed. Otherwise, they really can't check everything. :D

ALWAYS read you manual completely prior to installing a CSS (Child Safety Seat). I hope that your CSS is not a 5pt harness that adjusts in the rear, as those are a serious pain to adjust vs the front adjust 5pt harness. Here are a few tips on properly harnessing the child in the CSS.

Dress the child normally, no thick clothing or jacket. Bundle around child after they are harnessed in the CSS if more clothing is required for warmth.

Child should sit fully back against seat back and bottom, no space behind or underneath the child.

Harness should lie flatly against the child without any kinks or twists.

Harness height, where webbing threads through the back of the CSS, for RF (Rear Facing) should be at or below the height of the child's shoulders.

Harness should be so snug on the child that only a finger can be inserted, between the harness and the child, on each side at the collarbone level and no slack or room remains, if so then tighten harness and recheck.

Harness retainer clip should be at the child's armpit level, and threaded or buckled correctly as per CSS manual.

CSS handle should be positioned in an approved position when transporting.

Base should be snugly belted in vehicle. Grasp the base at the belt path and attempt to move it in a straight line sideways at the belt path. The base should not move more than an inch side to side or front to back at the belt path. I strive to have no or virtually no movement when I'm installing them. The recommendation is to check the base/CSS before use.

Most infant carrier CSS snap, click, or make some sort of noise when connecting to the base. You should ALWAYS pull the 2 apart or lift up on the CSS to ensure that they have securely locked together, even if you did hear them lock together. If the base is firmly fastened in the car and the child is firmly fastened in the harness, but they are not securely connected together, then someone could still have a bad day.

Check that the recline angle is at 45'. The CSS should never be reclined more than 45', but as the child gains head control the angle can be more upright, as little as 30'.

All of these things should be mentioned to you when go and get your CSS checked. These are things that you need to know NOW and that I thought would help you with you anxiety prior to getting the CSS checked by a CPST. Below I am sharing things will apply now and later.

The following are considered 'Best Practices' and are the safest recommendations that parents can follow.

Keep children in the back seat until age 13.

Read car seat and vehicle manuals and follow them.

Have a CPST (Child Passenger Safety Technician) inspect your vehicle,
CSS, and child.

Rear face as long as possible up to the limits of the seat.

Keep your child harnessed as long as possible (65 or 80#).

Use safest position which is center rear if possible, AND IT IS MOST
OF THE TIME.

Keep child in a BPB after they have outgrown high/weight limit of
harness, until they fit the vehicle seat. 5 things are required for a
child to fit the vehicle seat BEFORE they no longer need a BPB.
1. child can sit all the way back in the seat
2. child's knees comfortably bend at the seat's edge
3. lap belt falls across upper thigh/lower hip NOT tummy
4. shoulder belt falls across the middle of the chest and shoulder
5. child has the self-control to remain still and stay put

HTH

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Wow...thank you all so much for the responses! I really did not expect so many responses. I checked that data website that was given, but my car is not on there. It's a 2007 Toyota Camry. They do have 2005 on there, but I know that this year's model is slightly different. This is the table it gave me. I'm not sure if that link will work....

So, I'm thinking that I'll just install it on the passenger side with LATCH until I can get it inspected. I don't want to drive around using the seat belt until I can get it inspected. I'll have to call on Monday to see when they can see us to inspect it. Does that seem like my best option for now?

When they expect it, do they just inspect the base? Or do they need the car seat (w/baby in it)? I just figured we'd install the base, get a babysitter, and get it inspected while she stays home.

Ha. I'm probably being a bit fanatical about it, but it just seems like this isn't something you take lightly. Everything I read says that motor vehicle accidents cause the most accidental deaths in children. That's pretty scary. :eek: Anyway, I appreciate everyone's help, and I will definitely continue to visit this website for more info. :)

Congrats on the new car!!

I have an '05 Camry and LOVE it!!! While they did redesign the Camry for '07, I can't imagine the interior being THAT different. A center install with the seatbelt should be do-able, but I've only have FF in my car.

I prefer the center (in addition to the safety factor) because then I can kneel on the seat while positioning and buckling the child in. [My primary passenger is only 41 pounds/36" at age 7 but she has cerebral palsy so it can be difficult to transition in/out of seat and car because she extends or tenses up - I had the seat outboard once because of another passenger and it killed my back to have the seat outboard and have to bend over to position, buckle, or pick her up].

And yes, please do bring your DD with you for the check. As a tech, we want to make sure that not only is the seat installed correctly, but that you "install" your DD in the seat correctly. Besides, talking to and holding the little ones is one of the few fringe benefits us voluteers techs get!

I've seen people put the baby's legs through the harness, effectively turning their' 5pt. seat into a 3 point one and all kinds of misuse.

The tech should discuss/demonstrate how to know when your child has outgrown her seat and needs to move to a convertible as well as how to dress (not bundled) for the cold weather so she is snug in her seat.

aimee123

Again, I appreciate all the help!! I can't thank all of you enough! :)

So, DH tried installing the seat in the center position with the seat belt, but he ended up just getting frustrated. I don't know why he was having problems, but he said that it kept coming loose (the seat belt). Right now, we have it behind the passenger seat, using latch. I've left a message for the inspection place nearest to us, but I haven't received a return phone call. Tomorrow, I'm going to try calling another.

Are they able to help us install it in the center position? Or can they only inspect what you've already done? That probably seems like a silly question. I just remember when we left the hospital that the nurse said that they weren't allowed to install the car seat for us or even check it. I'm hoping that they can help us install it so that we can use the center position. I would feel a lot better about that.

Also, when using the seat belt, does it ever come loose? Do all of you check the base every time you put your child in the car?

Thanks again!! You've all been VERY helpful!

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Are you using a locking clip or pulling your seat belt out until it locks? I'm guessing that you have a shoulder belt in the middle?! I quite often, if not everytime, check my seat each time I put it in. I still do even now when he is in a convertable!
Hope you figure something out!

aimee123

Are you using a locking clip or pulling your seat belt out until it locks?
Apparently, this was the problem. DH wasn't doing that. :rolleyes: I didn't even try myself (not that I would've known that...), because I figured if he couldn't do it, I couldn't do it. But he's such a guy...he doesn't bother to read the instructions thoroughly (no offense, guys!). :D

Anyway, I had the car seat checked today. I must say that I'm very glad I did, and I'm also feeling guilty for not doing it sooner. There were only a few minor things that needed to be corrected. And she showed me how to do the install with the seat belt. I feel that DD is much safer now. Now, I can drive without panicking!

Jewels

Senior Community Member
:)
Anyway, I had the car seat checked today. I must say that I'm very glad I did, and I'm also feeling guilty for not doing it sooner. There were only a few minor things that needed to be corrected. And she showed me how to do the install with the seat belt. I feel that DD is much safer now. Now, I can drive without panicking!
I am glad you got it all figured out:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC