Question Help me figure out seating positions for my five kids

U

Unregistered

Help! I am no carseat tech, but I like to think I am fairly knowledgeable when it comes to seats. However, I'm having major issues working out a seating arrangement for my kids.

The facts:
-We have a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. There are tethers in the two middle (captain's chair) seats, and one on the back bench, between the middle and driver's side. As unhappy as I am with this van, a new vehicle is impossible right now.
-We have four kids:
DS1, 7 years old, 49 lbs, in a Britax Frontier (harnessed)
DD1, almost 6 years old, 35 lbs, FF in a Britax Boulevard
DS2, almost 5 years old, 46 lbs, FF in a Graco MyRide 65
DD2, 4 years old, 32 lbs, RF in a Diono Radian r100
-Baby #5 is due in November

At the moment we have the boys in the middle row with their seats tethered, and the girls in the back with DD1 (FF) tethered. However, once the baby comes, we will have to do some rearranging of seats to fit everyone. We were planning on buying two more Radians in order to fit three across in the back (with DD1, DS2, and DD2- who will be rearfacing still- in them), and have DS1 in his Frontier and the baby in the infant seat in the second row. However, I've just recently realized that we cannot have another tether retrofitted to accommodate two FF seats in the third row.

So, my question... how should I best arrange these seats and children, with only one tether available in the third row? DD1 could rearface again, but that will only work for another 5lbs until this problem arises again. I would *really* rather not put DS1 in a booster yet as he doesn't sit still enough for it yet, and I'm not entirely sure that a booster would fit in the third row with two Radians (and a combination of two Radians and a Frontier will not fit three across, anyway).

Second question- can someone please explain to me how tether weight limits work? From my understanding, Chrysler's limit is 48lbs and after this, tethers for forward facing seats should not be used?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer :)

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Help! I am no carseat tech, but I like to think I am fairly knowledgeable when it comes to seats. However, I'm having major issues working out a seating arrangement for my kids.

The facts:
-We have a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. There are tethers in the two middle (captain's chair) seats, and one on the back bench, between the middle and driver's side. As unhappy as I am with this van, a new vehicle is impossible right now.
-We have four kids:
DS1, 7 years old, 49 lbs, in a Britax Frontier (harnessed)
DD1, almost 6 years old, 35 lbs, FF in a Britax Boulevard
DS2, almost 5 years old, 46 lbs, FF in a Graco MyRide 65
DD2, 4 years old, 32 lbs, RF in a Diono Radian r100
-Baby #5 is due in November

At the moment we have the boys in the middle row with their seats tethered, and the girls in the back with DD1 (FF) tethered. However, once the baby comes, we will have to do some rearranging of seats to fit everyone. We were planning on buying two more Radians in order to fit three across in the back (with DD1, DS2, and DD2- who will be rearfacing still- in them), and have DS1 in his Frontier and the baby in the infant seat in the second row. However, I've just recently realized that we cannot have another tether retrofitted to accommodate two FF seats in the third row.

So, my question... how should I best arrange these seats and children, with only one tether available in the third row? DD1 could rearface again, but that will only work for another 5lbs until this problem arises again. I would *really* rather not put DS1 in a booster yet as he doesn't sit still enough for it yet, and I'm not entirely sure that a booster would fit in the third row with two Radians (and a combination of two Radians and a Frontier will not fit three across, anyway).

Second question- can someone please explain to me how tether weight limits work? From my understanding, Chrysler's limit is 48lbs and after this, tethers for forward facing seats should not be used?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer :)

Hello and welcome!

Because you don't want to booster your eldest, I would try:

Third Row:

Newborn- RF Graco MyRide or Diono Radian (or infant seat if it'll fit and you can get to the third row to click it in)
DD1-- FF Diono Radian (tethered)
DD2-- RF Diono Radian

Second Row:
DS1-- Frontier (tethered)
DS2-- Boulevard (tethered)

I make the personal choice to use my top tethers past my vehicle's recommendation (40 pounds) because I figure if they fail, by the time they do so, they have done their job. :duck: However, I DO NOT use the lower anchors past the recommendation.

If I needed to use my top tethers for an extraordinarily heavy child, I would get heavy-duty tethers installed.

canadiangie

:confused: Did anyone recommend that she not tether? Other than the RF seats?

I didn't think tethers were required for RF seats, and those are the only seats that weren't recommended to be tethered. :confused:

I believe it was in the context of you mentioning you make the choice to tether past limits. That is a moot point for us up here because top tethering is mandatory.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I believe it was in the context if you saying you make the choice to tether past limits. That is a moot point for us up here because top tethering is mandatory.

Ah. Got it. I was just trying to answer her question about the limits of the tether anchors. I also had no way to know that the OP was in Canada because we can't see IP addressed the way the mods can. The post is in the general forum, so I wouldn't have known the OP's location.

canadiangie

Ah. Got it. I was just trying to answer her question about the limits of the tether anchors. I also had no way to know that the OP was in Canada because we can't see IP addressed the way the mods can. The post is in the general forum, so I wouldn't have known the OP's location.

Yup, I agree. I was just trying to fill the gaps here. :)

canadiangie

OP,

I've tried to come up with a seating arrangement for your crew that has your newborn in the 2nd row, but I'm just at a loss. Your 3rd row is just a royal pain, both because its so narrow and it's lack of tether anchors.

Is there any possible way your oldest child could be taught to sit still in a booster between now and the new baby?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC