Question Help me choose! Chicco Keyfit 22 and Onboard Air 35

MommaTo3inNH

I was going to use bff's Graco 35, but her baby isn't anywhere near being big enough to go into a convertible (actually, bff isn't anywhere near putting her in one, but that's cool lol!)

I drive a 2011 hyundai sonata. I have DD (almost 5yrs, 39lbs) FF in a Radian 80 and DS (9yrs, 84lbs) in seatbelt only (perfect fit and passes the tests, thanks.)

I want either the keyfit 22 or onboard air because of the following features: lock-offs, lightweight seat, handle can be in any locked position, narrow fit, and they are cheaper than the graco 35. The keyfit 22 will get my baby to at least 1, probably 18 months, as my kids both were in their snugride 22's til 18 months, and when baby has outgrown the bucket the Radian (DOM 3-2011) is hers and dd will be booster ready.

All things being equal, what would you choose?

I'm heading to BRU today or tomorrow to try each in my car but am wondering if the keyfit 22 and 35 have the same bases/shells (since I don't know if BRU has the 22 still) ... and same question about the safety 1st, do the Air and non-Air version have the same base and shells?

I am confident both will fit in my car, since the graco 35 fits and that seems to be a way bigger seat but don't want to ASSume and just order online and be stuck with having to return.

eta - I want lockoffs because the kids fight like cats and dogs and I want to put the baby in the middle so they have a buffer. My seat belt buckle strap is rather long making a tight seatbelt install impossible even with twisting the stalk...

etaa - I also realize that I may *have* to put ds in the middle. When I approached him with this possibility he said "oh that's fine, I'll just be closer to the baby than (dd1) and she will like me better" *sigh*

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The keyfit 22 and 30 are the same shell. The Onboard will last longer.

eta - I want lockoffs because the kids fight like cats and dogs and I want to put the baby in the middle so they have a buffer. My seat belt buckle strap is rather long making a tight seatbelt install impossible even with twisting the stalk...

If it is impossible, even with twisting the stalk down, how do you plan to use it?

MommaTo3inNH

The keyfit 22 and 30 are the same shell. The Onboard will last longer.

If it is impossible, even with twisting the stalk down, how do you plan to use it?

The lock-offs will make it work... worked with the graco 35. I was going to get the baby trend flex-loc (saw some great deals on the travel system) but no lock-offs made for a loose install.

MommaTo3inNH

See, this scares me. Seems like a false good install.

I don't get what you're saying. Isn't this the point of lock-offs? To make a seatbelt install tight? Without the lockoffs, I get the seatbelt tight, but the buckle kind of makes the seatbelt wiggle loose with pulling back and forth. With the lockoffs, it was rock solid. (and independently rock solid, I did it w/out dd's radian installed)

If I am mis-using or mis-understanding the lockoffs, I need to know, since it will change my whole plan of how to fit my 3 kids in the car LOL...

Thanks.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Did you not lock the seat belt when not using the lock off? That would be the problem. It that is it, then you are fine. In your car, locking the seat belt means pulling the shoulder belt aaaaallllll the way out. It switches it to locking.

MommaTo3inNH

Did you not lock the seat belt when not using the lock off? That would be the problem. It that is it, then you are fine. In your car, locking the seat belt means pulling the shoulder belt aaaaallllll the way out. It switches it to locking.

I did pull it all the way out first and it clicked and made the chchchchch noise as it went back in (lol) ... it just would stay kind of tight for a second then the long seat belt buckle strap kind of loosened it up when I wiggled it. eta: I don't think it was ever solid enough, because the buckle slid around and interfered. I wonder if it's not a matter of the lockoffs, but rather the shape of the base and location of the belt path?

As long as it's all the way pulled out and locked, and then I use the lock off, is that safe?

eta - ok now i'm all worried about this seatbelt install, lol. I wonder if I need to just bite the bullet and put ds in the middle. Or dd's Radian (though, there's no tether in the middle I don't think)... ugh. such stress.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I did pull it all the way out first and it clicked and made the chchchchch noise as it went back in (lol) ... it just would stay kind of tight for a second then the long seat belt buckle strap kind of loosened it up when I wiggled it. eta: I don't think it was ever solid enough, because the buckle slid around and interfered. I wonder if it's not a matter of the lockoffs, but rather the shape of the base and location of the belt path?

As long as it's all the way pulled out and locked, and then I use the lock off, is that safe?

You don't need to use the switchable retractor and a lock off. Just trying to figure out the issue with your prior install. How many times did you twist down the belt stalk?

MommaTo3inNH

You don't need to use the switchable retractor and a lock off. Just trying to figure out the issue with your prior install. How many times did you twist down the belt stalk?

I twisted it probably 5-6 times, as many as I could maneuver between holding it down and holding the seat belt with my other hand. The buckle was definitely interfering, that much I am sure of. It was right at the entrance of the belt path. Which is what made me twist it. But I don't think I twisted it tight enough?

(thanks for helping me, I'm totally worried about this now.)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Usually we do no more than three full 360 degree twists. If you can post pics, it would be great. I have texted a friend that has a Hyundai. What did you try to install there before?

MommaTo3inNH

seatbeltinstallflex-loc.jpg

I'm hoping this works... I drive a 2011 Sonata. This is the Flex Loc attempt. I just could not get it tight, even with pulling the seatbelt all the way out. The buckle is too close, I think, to the belt path. I definitely did more than 3 full twists, and that didn't help. I had a Graco 35 there, used the lock offs though (with the belt pulled all the way out first) ... Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. I have to go get lunch for the kids and get ds off to camp... I'll bbl.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Pictures would definitely help.

I will say I have fairly long buckle stocks in my '93 Toyota pickup (which doesn't even have locking a locking retractor) and I only have to twist the buckle stock one full turn to install the Onboard Air's base nice and tight in that car. But if the buckle stock is TOO crazy long you may actually be better off with something that does NOT have lock-offs. The downside of lock-offs is that if they're placed in a spot where your seat belt has a buckle, seam, or "button," sometimes it makes the seat incompatible with your seat belt.

The Onboard and the Onboard Air have interchangeable bases, but they're not the same. The Onboard comes with a basic base that doesn't have lock-offs. The Air comes with a premium base that does have lock-offs. You can buy either base separately and use with either seat.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Any pictures of how long the belt stock is?

The Flex-Lock is so narrow that it can make it tough with some seat belts. I think I know what you're talking about. I think the biggest difference is that the Snug Ride has a wider belt path than the Flex-Lock. Not that the Snug Ride has lock-offs.

If you use lock-offs, you do NOT need to lock the seat belt by pulling it all the way out.

MommaTo3inNH

Thanks again ladies. I will take a picture of the stalk when I go out later. The low belt path makes sense... I was thinking the lock offs would help with the buckle hindering my install but that's not the reason for it, most likely. I'm going to try the keyfit and the safety 1st still, since their bases are way different than the flex loc, and maybe one of them will work - without lock offs :0) So IF bru only has the onboard, not the air, will I get the same fit? What about keyfit 30 instead of the 22, same fit?

Since I have your ears and eyes, I do you mind telling me if this is safe: this is the graco 35 in dh's corolla... is this safe, having the base hang off the seat? Otherwise a perfect fit (angle bubble was in the right place and no movement at the belt path, using seat belt install)

heading off for a bit bbl, thanks again SO much!!

graco35corolla.jpg

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
It can hang off 20%, so no problem there.

The keyfit 22 and 30 both have the same base.

The OnBoard, there are bases with and without lock offs.

If you get a car seat with a lock off, use it. I just wanted to check what the problem was before getting in too deep.

MommaTo3inNH

(hey! There's a carseat.org app!!)

I am feeling better about the situation. So you are telling me that you think the problem is with the baby trend base design not with my seat belt... I can twist the stalk three times if I have to. As long as the install is tight without the lockoffs go ahead and use them anyway, they can't hurt. And the base can be 20% hanging off the seat.

Are there any other bases with a low seat belt path like baby trend I should avoid?

Is the OnBoard (or any other brand) base longer than the graco 35 (concerned about hangover in dh's car)

Knowing lock offs aren't necessary opens up the buying field quite a bit, thanks :0)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yes! That was what I was trying to say.

The base difference. I think they are about the same. The OnBoard may be a tad shorter. But really, the 35 is not an issue in the truck.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC