Help I'm so confused...

eveandbetty

HELP!!!! I have a Diono Radian rxt and I drive a Mazda Protege 5 2002. I just recently was thinking of turning dd forward facing and am so confused. We have the LATCH system and then there are the other straps for top tethering... So several questions,

1.I would like her to be in the middle seat so is that possible? It seems to fit there and I can get the LATCH straps super tight.

2. I think I read it correctly that I have to use the top tether with it whether it is in the middle position or side seats... but I'm confused with that.

3 My husband has a 1997 Ford F150 extended cab, I do not think that the top tether works with that type of car... and he already uses the seat belt to strap down so I am assuming the same for the forward facing just will be running it through the forward facing belt path...

4. Grandparents have a 2011 Rav 4. top tether?

Please help I am trying to do the right thing, just got so confused. I have even watched the videos on the Diono website so I know the installation that i have done is correct just need to make sure about the top tethering and the middle seat in my Mazda Prtege5.

Thank you in advance

ADS

1mommy

Hi and welcome! First off how old is your daughter and how much does she weigh? The radian requires you to use the safe stop while forward facing if your daughter is under a certain weight. Also what model radian do you have?" Also note that you can't use center latch in all vehicles (not sure about the Mazda) and there is a combined weight limit of 65 pounds (child plus car seat) for the lower anchors. I know it's all a bit confusing but I'm glad you realized you needed help and hopefully someone more familiar with your car and the radian will chime in.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
To use LATCH in the middle of the Mazda, you must read both manuals (Car and carseat) and they both must say yes. In general, they will only specify the outboard seats with LATCH in that model year, so I would bet that you need to use the seatbelt in the middle.
For forward facing, tethering is always preferred, if you have one, use it.
For a child under 40 pounds, you must use the safestop when the seat is tethered. So you'd use the safestop (extra strap) and top tether in the Mazda and Toyota, but don't use it in the Ford, since it has no top tether anchors. Take it off and keep tethering when she weighs 40 pounds. Discontinue the lower anchors and use the seatbelt at, I think, 48 pounds (though it's likely average or petite kiddos are too tall for the harness by then, anyway, so you might not have to worry about it!)
I hope that helps! Easier to just keep her rearfacing, lol (which is a good choice till the full weight limit or her head is 1.5" from the top of the seatback, if you need it more upright, the Diono Angle Adjuster is a nice accessory sold specifically for Radians---not that you asked, just throwing it out there for information's sake :)).

eveandbetty

So ok, I read both manuals and that is when I started getting confused. She is still rear facing and I use the angle adjuster already with it. I guess I will just put her in one of the side seats, which I dont want to but if I have to...and use the top tether. Are you saying that with the LATCH I have to use the safe stop or only if I use the seat belt or both? Looks like I need to make an appointment with a car seat technician to get this taken care of.. I have two of the same Radian Rxts so one stays in my car and the other gets moved from my husbands to the grandparents.

I also found another thread/post on here from a while ago that says i can use the seat belt in the middle position in the Mazda, as the Radian RXT does not allow the LATCH in a no standard/spacing position, so then that would mean I need the safe stop and the top tether correct?

Thank you and sorry, just want to install this correctly.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I think it's a great idea to take it to a technician to help show you how to do it! If you want to experiment before you get a chance to meet with someone, though, here's my understanding of what Jools is saying, as explained in a "decision tree":

1. Is is more important to you to have the child in the center or is it more important to use LATCH? (No judgement either way -- the safest install is the one that you can do correctly, but keep in mind that there will come a time when LATCH won't be an option because she will hit the weight limit for LATCH.)
a) If CENTER is more important, then place the child seat in the center seating position and install with a seatbelt.
b) If LATCH is more important, then place in an outboard position and install with LATCH. Make sure that when you meet with a tech, you ask them to teach you how to install it with a seatbelt for the future (or make a separate appointment when your child is closer to the weight limit for LATCH).

2. For the Mazda and the Rav (the cars with tether anchors): Once the seat is installed with EITHER seatbelt or LATCH, then answer the question of whether your daughter is under 40 lbs or over 40 lbs.
a) If UNDER 40 lbs, use the safestop and top tether.
b) If OVER 40 lbs, use the top tether without the safestop.

I hope that helps! If it doesn't, then definitely set up an appointment to meet with a technician. Hopefully it will make more sense in person! :-D

Cnidaria

It would be most ideal to always use the top tether with a forward-facing harnessed seat. But you can't in the truck since it doesn't have a tether anchor (one thing to look into is whether you can get one retrofitted? Someone with a LATCH manual?)

So forward-facing in a Diono seat in the truck, you would not use the SafeStop regardless of how much she weighs, because you can't top tether it.

For the other two cars, if she weighs less than 40 lbs, you would install the SafeStop in the harness before you install the seat in the car. Then you would either install it with lower anchors + top tether or seatbelt + top tether.

If she weighs > 40 lbs, you don't have to worry about the SafeStop at all.

eveandbetty

Thanks everyone that helped clear it up.. I got it installed with the top tether and the safestop. My hubby and I looked at it together and he helped me figure it all out with your very helpful information.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC