Help! Harnessed Car seat for a 4 year old.

etoilech

less than 40 lbs and living in Switzerland. We have a Britax Marathon... we need a second car seat with a harness above 40 lbs (18kg). My boy is just too small and too immature to have a booster.

These are the choices I have here

Those are most of the car seat available... a few more possibly.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

ADS

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
wowser some of those are some wacky looking seats. Not anything like the seats we have here. Lots seem to have the lap part for use with a lap belt only but i guess its actually being used with a lap and shoulder belt with a baby that looks like hes 1. Interesting site.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
wowser some of those are some wacky looking seats. Not anything like the seats we have here. Lots seem to have the lap part for use with a lap belt only but i guess its actually being used with a lap and shoulder belt with a baby that looks like hes 1. Interesting site.

You can see how all of them have rated over the years if you google 'oeamtc kindersitze' (translate the page!) and check out the crash testing results...it's like the Austrian version of a AAA/Consumer Reports site...you might be surprised that the ones with the shields do really well, and some of the ones that were for sale here are absolute crapola (Nania/Team-Tex), even though they LOOK really cool :whistle:

gwenvet

Without knowing any German, it looks like the Recaro Young Sport and the Starlight harness up to 36kg (about 75 or 80lbs). Boy would I LOVE the Young Sport to be approved up to that weight in the US!!!

scatterbunny

Without knowing any German, it looks like the Recaro Young Sport and the Starlight harness up to 36kg (about 75 or 80lbs). Boy would I LOVE the Young Sport to be approved up to that weight in the US!!!

I'm pretty sure that's the booster weight, not the harnessed weight. :(

Connor's Mom

I am ganna be of no help here as I can't read a word on that page :D but I do want to say I think that multicolored seat with the wormy looking man up the side is super cute. :p

2bugsmom

Do you have family/friends in the US? I have a friend who lives in Israel and she ordered a Sunshine Kids Radian 65 ($169ish) and had it mailed to me in the US. then I mailed it to her for about $45. It is a great seat. Small, compact. and Harnessed up to 65lbs. something to think about

etoilech

I'm pretty sure that's the booster weight, not the harnessed weight. :(

Unfortunately that is true. The harness can only be used up to 18 kg (40 lbs.).

I am looking at seats tested for the Swedish market now. They have a seat that goes to 25 kg rear facing, but the install is a mess.

I might do the Sunshine Radian thing, that the previous poster suggested. Were can I get a good look at one? We're planning on a third child and we'll have to have three across our Volvo wagon.

Have any of you looked at the boosters they have here? They are heavily padded for side impact protection. I was wondering if I can't get something, I might get a really good booster, I'd rather not though.

Argh.

Thanks!

laurenrachey

Let me guess, you're talking about this one...

http://www.hts.no/svenska/frameset_svensk.htm
(Click on produkter-->gruup 0/1--> BeSafe Izi Kid X1 It wouldn't link directly to the seat)

Not that i could read a word of it, but I looked through the pictures in the manual, and it made my head hurt! A lot having to do with the seat in front of the carseat I think.

This may help some of us with the german... http://babelfish.altavista.com/
you can copy and paste in the website given above and be able to read a good portion of it.

etoilech

Not that one but the Maxi Cosi equivalent. It was just as stupefying as far as an install. Fried my brain, and I can read Swedish. :confused:

In any case, I'll likely be shipping one of those Sunshine radian seats over. Europeans can be positively great (side impact protections, stay put straps)at some stuff and absolutely abysmal at others (harnessed, high weight limit seats and lack of convertible options).

P.S. The above sit is in English too.

http://www.hts.no/english/frameset_english.htm

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
No real suggestions other than what's already been mentioned above. A few families in the US have used the Swedish Britax Two-Way Plus, which has a 25 kg./55 lb. weight limit and isn't too hard to use.

Anyway, HI!!! How are you and your family doing? :)

etoilech

Are you allowed to ship and use an American seat?

Yes, Swiss law states that we can use a seat that meets or exceeds Swiss (or European) safety standards. Don't forget Switzerland is not part of the EU.

Even if it was "illegal" my children are my responsibility and it would be *me* who would pay in guilt and tears if something happened to him and he was in a booster that was too big for him, not the law (obviously). Since the only seats available here are of inferior safety and inappropriate for my own child, I'd take the risk and if I got in trouble I'd fight it out in court. My son is a *small* four year old (born at 29 weeks) and has mild cerebral palsy affecting his ability to walk by himself, he needs a harnessed seat, they don't have one that does the job (harnessed over 18 kg). I'd never suggest someone else do it, as a professional, but since he's my kid... it's my responsibility.

Why would I be *not* allowed to ship a seat? My mum mails stuff for me often and we've shipped car seats before. No biggie. ;)

etoilech

No real suggestions other than what's already been mentioned above. A few families in the US have used the Swedish Britax Two-Way Plus, which has a 25 kg./55 lb. weight limit and isn't too hard to use.

Anyway, HI!!! How are you and your family doing? :)

We're all fine, I read on here you've expecting!? Congratulations! That's wonderful. We have our second, she's 16 months. Healthy as a horse and born at term (fortunately).

How are your kids, getting big I suppose. I guess we should take this to pm...;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC