Help for Twins in Germany

Twinklefae

Hi - I am trying to help an online friend choose seats for her upcoming twins.

She is trying to avoid buying capsules, but I'm not familiar enough with the rear facing Group 0+(?) and Group 1 seats to advise whether or not potential preemies would fit.

This is her current top choice:
http://cybex-online.com/en/carseats/sirona.html

I know that Eu seats don't require the straps to be below the shoulders, and it is rated to 0kg, but I'm not sure if it is an appropriate choice. If it is, that's golden, if not, what would you advise?

If they end up having to get capsules, it is unlikely they'll be able to afford seats for ERF.

ADS

_juune

To the best of my knowledge Sirona is not really a good fit for young babies, let alone small newborns :( Too upright. It may depend on the slope of vehicle seats a bit. In any case they should really check the recline in their car, because with isofix install only there is very little one can do about it in case it's too upright.

Maybe a system of base that fits both 0+ and stage 1 RF seat would be more suitable? There are several like that now, MaxiCosi 2WayPearl+base+carrier, Joie AnchorSafe, Klippan base+Dinofix+Triofix [likely the longest lasting of all], and probably some other that I'm forgetting. Sirona I think is quite expensive, some of the systems might come close in price to it.

Besides the Sirona I think is quite short in back compared to others, so not the longest lasting out there at all :(

Added: a thread about Sirona and the baby insert -- people who have tried it seem to think it's not really a good fit for the smallest. [Do use translate.google.com if needed.]

newyorkDOC

Hauck varioguard. She needs two so doubtful she will want to spring for Swedish seats plus there are very few rated group 0+. The varioguard is ~€250 off Amazon.de. DS loves his.

Adventuredad

There are a few different choices available. Kiss 2, Britax Dualfix and Britax-MaxFix would all work well. While Sirona might be her top choice this seat should be the absolute last choice on earth for a car seat.

Sirona will last rear facing for a short time, 18-24 months. It must then be used forward facing with the horrible shield system which is warm, uncomfortable and has serious safety issues with submarining, chest deflaton, rollover ejection and off the carts abdominal pressure. The shield seats are also usually made with cheap blow moulding.

We are trying to get rid of these seats in by adding more stringent testing to the EU standard. Currently the shield seats use a "loophole" in the standard to pass testing. Abdominal pressure is not tested and that's where all the forces end up.

We have so far added a more difficult rollover ejection test to the standard which makes it more difficult for the shield seats to pass. We will be adding sensor points to the new UN 129 standard since the new Q dummies have improved capabilities. This will make it far more difficult, but not impossible, to create a shield seat which pass testing.

Kiss 2 will work from birth to around age 4 or 110 cm. It's the most narrow rear facing seat togehter with Klippan Triofix at 42-43 cm. Kiss 2 can be installed with Isofix or seat belt and has nice recline. The seat is basically an infant seat which slides into an Isofix base. That means the infant part of the seat can be removed and carried/wheeled around. Quite practical.

Max-Fix is installed with Isofix and last about as long or slightly longer than Kiss 2. It has adjustable recline in seven positions, steepest angle is a bit less than Kiss 2.

Dualfix is installed with Isofix and can be used rear or forward facing. It also has a function to turn the seat sideways which some parents find useful. Kids like to climb into the car seats by themselves at an early age so the usefulness can be debated. Dualfix has a shorter seat shell and will last RF from birth to around age 3-4 or about 100 cm.

These seats have the lowr 18 kg rear facing wegiht limit since they use Isofix Britax Hi-Way and Besafe Izi Plus are approved 0-25 kg but we recommend to start using these seats when a child can sit unassisted.

What car is beind used? Does it have Isofix? Can front passenger airbag be turned off?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC