Help! DS upset with Marathon going to baby

my3sweeties

I turned the DS's marathon around for DD and he is very, very upset. All morning he's making comments and refusing to do things b/c I "took his seat away." What should I do?

I thought about changing the cover, maybe that wouldn't make it "his" seat anymore?

Is there any safety issues to having a home-made cover?

I feel so bad for DS - he's the middle child as it is and I can understand how he feels. I am all for doing what's best, even if they don't like it, but I just understand that he's kind of attached to his seat and it's symbolic. Yes, I did try to tell him the Radian is his big boy seat, but it's not working at all!

TIA!

Oh, DS is 4.5, 45#, 42in., 14in torso so I don't know how much longer he would be in the Marathon to justify buying a new Marathon for the baby. BUT, I would do it if that's the only option.

ADS

ZephyrBlue

My kids are very propietary about their seats, too, and my almost 2.5yo DS cried for an hour one day when we let a friends' baby ride in his BLVD. If you can swing it, I'd buy another MA (maybe the one at albeebaby for $209?) and let the baby have that. My middle child had a tough time with the new baby, too. Big hugs to your DS.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Aw, poor guy! And poor mom, too, LOL! I've got four kids pretty close in age, so I know how the can make you feel so torn.

One bit of advice I got was to not refer to my older child as "big." They say it puts too much pressure on them. I found this to be very helpful with my kids whenever we had a new baby.

Here's a question - could the baby use the Radian for now? Maybe he just needs a bit more warning, and if he hasn't outgrown his Marathon yet, letting him use it for a few more months might give him enough to time to feel okay about passing it down.

Auntie2Avi

I would give your older ds back his MA if possible, and buy the baby a Scerena, or use the Radian RF. Then in a few months I would take the MA out to wash the cover, and have a new cover available to put on the seat for your DD. Maybe your DS would be happier if he could pick the cover of his Radian? Would you be able to get him a different color cover? I personally would not buy another MA, i would use the Radian RF for your baby or buy a scerena. If that is not possible maybe talk up the Radian with your son, easier to climb into and buckle, etc. Maybe a positive reinforcement chart would help. This might be him trying to be the baby again, and he would benefit from one-on-one time with you, even 10 minutes a day can totally change the child's behavior.

sfeitler

Did you tell him beforehand that his seat was going to the new baby? My DD1 (5yo now, was 3y 8m when DD2 was born) needs some warning before we make a change like that.

I think give him the MA back for now, and give the baby the Radian or buy a Scenera. Start talking to him about how things are going to change when he outgrows the MA. When the time comes to switch the seats, get a new cover for the MA so that it looks like the baby's seat and not DS's. I agree with PP who said don't push the "you're a big boy" angle--at least for my DD, she sometimes still needs to know she's my baby.

-Sarah

Ericak95

Had the exact (MA to Radian) same issue with DD in July. She was absolutely in tears that her sister was getting her seat. It took a few trips in the new seat for her to calm down. We made a big deal about her NEW seat. She got to help install it and talked up how much more comfortable it is, and how easy it was for her to get in it, ect....

So I would say stick with it -- I'm sure he'll like his new seat.

GOOD LUCK

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC