HELP! Carseat on an airplane

Cristina

Hello all, I am going to be flying to Arizona alone with my 16 month old. I did buy my DD her own seat, and I would really like her to be in her carseat on the plane...both for her safety and my sanity.
I am kind of freaking out about the whole thing so I would really appreciate any advice. I have about 10 million questions
-I have a Britax Decathlon. Will it fit in a coach plane seat?
-Am I going to have any issues getting it thru security or on the plane? Do most people take seats on the plane?
-Does it count as a carry on? Most times I have flown I have ben limited to 2 things.
-Someone on my other board recommended a GoGoBaby
(http://www.gogobabyz.com/products/gogo_kids.html)
It looks like an awesome idea, and would really save me some sanity if I could just roll DD and her seat through the airport...but is it worth the $$?

Can you tell I'm freaking out? LOL
Any advice, again, would be much appreciated.

ETA:
Are the carseats easy to install in a plane? Any specific advice on this?
Thanks so much

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Good for you. Buying her own seat and taking a carseat are definitely the safest options. Her DC will not count as a carry-on and should fit fine in coach seats. I've never had a problem fitting my MA and we've flown on some pretty small planes. You shouldn't have any problems with security, but logistics of getting a toddler, a seat and your bags through the airport can be tricky.

The go-go kidz are okay. You have to remove them to put the seat through the xray and they are too wide to go down the plane aisle. A luggage cart is usually less expensive and more convenient. Are you taking a stroller?

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Good for you. Buying her own seat and taking a carseat are definitely the safest options. Her DC will not count as a carry-on and should fit fine in coach seats. I've never had a problem fitting my MA and we've flown on some pretty small planes. You shouldn't have any problems with security, but logistics of getting a toddler, a seat and your bags through the airport can be tricky.

The go-go kidz are okay. You have to remove them to put the seat through the xray and they are too wide to go down the plane aisle. A luggage cart is usually less expensive and more convenient. Are you taking a stroller?

What Crunchy said :love:.

The only think I can add to that is request a seatbelt extender from the flight attendant. It can make it easier to unbuckle the seatbelt when uninstalling. This is what I have heard anyway.

kimogilvie

Kudos to you on buying DD a seat! For a child that young, she'll have to have a car seat on the plane. The Decathalon will fit RF-ing. The passenger in front of DD won't be able to recline, but other than that - it fits. There will be no issues getting it through security. As you walk on the plane, an attendant might want to check if the seat is FAA approved. I've always just informed them that it is and keep going. (But they might actually want to check their manual). It does not count as a carry on. A Diaper bag does not count as a carry on either. And since you bought 2 seats - you now get 4 carry ons anyway. Are you bringing a stroller? If so, then I wouldn't recommend the gogobaby. I would instead get a car seat bag that you can wheel or carry on your back (babies r us has them for 22 dollars). If you aren't bringing a stroller, then the gogobaby isn't a bad idea, but there are some logistical problems - it doesn't fit down plane aisles, you'll have to remove it to go through security.

Ask for a belt extender when you get on the plane - you'll need it to install the DC rear facing (she should still face rear facing on the plane).

Cristina

Thank you all so much.
I had not thought about RF on the plane. I just assumed it would not fit, thanks for letting me know it does. I was kind of worried about DD facing forward mainly because then she could not see me as well. She rides RF in the car and LOVES having company back there because she can look right at them LOL
I was not planning on taking a stroller, I just don't see how I could carry that much stuff. Do the carseat backpack things work? I saw one, but it looked really awkward...like I might accidentally take somebody out of I turned around too quickly. Or like I would have trouble bending over...or trouble taking it off to put through security.
ACK! I'm just so stressed about it all...but then I look out the window at our massive snowstorm and think it'll be worth it to go see my sis in AZ LOL
Have any of you used the GoGoKids contraption? It just looks too god to be true. How hard is it to get the seat on and off it at security and on the plane (lame it won't roll down the aisle!).
Would they be able to hand scan it so I wouldn't have to take it off?
Sorry for the million questions, but I did warn you :ROTFLMAO:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
YW! I have a Gogo Kidz. I have not used it yet. A lot of oeple have and it has really made things easier and I have seen them being used in the airport. It depends on who is working security if they will make you run the car seat on the belt or wand it. You will have to remove baby from the seat when going through security. They will help you though. I would check your bags other than the neccesities.

kimogilvie

I personally use the wheeling/backpack carry bag for my car seats because I always take a stroller. That back pack was a great investment because I don't know how else I would get my kid through the airport. That being said, if I wasn't taking a stroller, I think for a toddler of that age, I would prefer the gogo thing despite any small inconveniences so that I could contain my DC and push them through the airport.

ANother interesting airline "secret". They reserve the bulkhead rows for special circumstances. So when you get o the airport and are checking in, if you inform the attendant that you would like a bulkhead row in order to accomodate the car seat more easily - they are usually happy to help you out. Sometimes, they can do it at the counter and sometimes you have to wait until you get to the plane gate. But the bulkhead does give you more room and makes installing the car seat RF-ing easier.

brightredmtn

Your seat will fit RF or FF. It does NOT count as a carry on either.

I have a Gogo kidz and I HATE it. You have to un do it when going through security. It attaches with giant screws that take several minutes to screw in. Not so easy to do when trying to hold your kiddo in line in security with your shoes off, other bags dangeling off your shouldler all the while the passengers behind you in line giving you dirty looks for holding things up.

natysr

I use a travelling toddler when I fly. It is about $15 at amazon.com. It connects your seat to a rolling carry-on luggage. Then you can use the seat/luggage as a stroller through the airport. It is great for layovers, especially if flying alone if you have to use the restroom. I usually bring that, and a backpack. The seat still has to be removed from the luggage for security, but that is pretty easy with the Britax latch clips.

Also, I end up gate checking the luggage itself, and just carry the carseat and baby down the plane aisle. I've even uninstalled with a sleeping 2 year old in it and carried him off the plane. I was able to reattach it to the luggage and get to my next gate before he woke up.

lovemyfamily

ANother interesting airline "secret". They reserve the bulkhead rows for special circumstances. So when you get o the airport and are checking in, if you inform the attendant that you would like a bulkhead row in order to accomodate the car seat more easily - they are usually happy to help you out. Sometimes, they can do it at the counter and sometimes you have to wait until you get to the plane gate. But the bulkhead does give you more room and makes installing the car seat RF-ing easier.

There is issue with bulkhead seats though as all your carry on items must then be stored in the overhead, nothing can be at your feet there, since there is no seat in front of you to put your bags in. You would then not be able to access your bags until either the seat belt sign is turned off, or you ask a flight attendant to get your bags from the overhead for you. I find this to be frustrating when traveling with kids and don't chose these seats, for this reason.

Tammyfh

I didn't read all the posts kinda short on time so you may have already got all the answers ;)

As for running out of bags... If you buy a seat for your baby you they HAVE to give you her share of bags too. So on most airlines that is 2 checked bags, a carry on, and a personal item. As far as I know if she's sitting in the seat is does not count as a carryon. They did count our gate check stroller as a carryon.

We've flown with my 9 month old son several times and he has always had his own seat. Biggest issue is getting organized with all the security stuff (our last trip has 3 connections on the way home and had to go through security twice and then customs :p)
Little organization and deep breaths along the way (be sure to give yourself a little extra time) and it's really not bad!

good luck

Cedarmom

Okay. I *just* did this by myself with a 23 month old. :)

1. On the GoGoKidz. I had them attached to my MA. Once I got to security, they asked if the wheels came off. I told them that it was a HUGE pain, but they *would* come off if needed. They took the seat and did a hand wand on it in both airports (one of which was PHX). As far as moving through the airport, it was a lifesaver, and one less thing for me to deal with since I didn't have to take a stroller. It does not fit up the aisles, but I just lifted the seat over my head (baby on back) and carried it those 10 ft. I undid the wheels once I got to the seat. No biggie. :) I stored them overhead and then redid them before getting off.

I had an Ergo carrier for my little one in case it was needed for getting the wheels off at security, but that was a non-issue.

I did use it for getting on and off the plane, but found that the flight attendants and the pilots went way above and beyond by helping me on and off the planes. I flew Southwest, btw. LOVED them. American has treated me like crap, so it was a nice change. :)

2. Put the baby rfing on the plane. It will save your sanity as you won't have to either hold their feet so they don't kick or as in my little one's case, he figured out he could undo the tray table with his toes. That was tons of fun during the time the tray table had to be up :rolleyes: He was only ffing on one leg of our trip as a result. :p

3. Definitely get the seat belt extender. It is nice to have rfing and it is almost impossible to remove the seat without it when ffing.

4. With two seats, you are each allowed a carry on and a personal item. Car seat does not count, and I don't think the diaper bag counts either. In other words, more than you can carry is allowed. ;)

5. Since you are travelling with a small child, you can bring juice (can she have juice yet?) and stuff through security. You just have to 'declare' that you have it. I recommend bringing your own rather than buying it once you are through. Much cheaper. :twocents: I filled a sippy halfway with water and brought juice boxes. On the plane I was able to custom make his juice and I had some leftover to drink myself. ;)

If you have any other questions, just ask. I swear getting through the airport and on and off the planes is the absolute most stressful part of travelling with youngins. :love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC