Question Help! Britax Pavillion or Radian RXT

estrella81tpa

Good morning, I'm in need of anybody's expertise. I'm sure this question has been asked before. But I'm in a bit of a dilemma. This is the first time we are traveling with the baby via airplane and to another country next month. My DD is 13mths. Her infant carseat seat was the Britax B-safe and we absolutely love the B-Agile stroller. I am looking for a second convertible carseat for DH or my car whichever fits better in his/or my car. Currently we have the Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 (we picked b/c it had the highest height limit forward facing 52"), which we love but it's becoming a pain to take in and out of car when picking up DD. I figured since I have to buy another one I'm hoping I can buy one that will last the longest, DD is very tall for her age she is in the 90% in height. My question is does anybody have any experience installing the Radian XRT in a double cabin truck? (2011 Nissan Frontier in the backseat) Which one would be better for airplane and truck and still be able to use for second car at home? Any ideas or inputs would be very helpful. Thanks!

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Good morning, I'm in need of anybody's expertise. I'm sure this question has been asked before. But I'm in a bit of a dilemma. This is the first time we are traveling with the baby via airplane and to another country next month. My DD is 13mths. Her infant carseat seat was the Britax B-safe and we absolutely love the B-Agile stroller. I am looking for a second convertible carseat for DH or my car whichever fits better in his/or my car. Currently we have the Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 (we picked b/c it had the highest height limit forward facing 52"), which we love but it's becoming a pain to take in and out of car when picking up DD. I figured since I have to buy another one I'm hoping I can buy one that will last the longest, DD is very tall for her age she is in the 90% in height. My question is does anybody have any experience installing the Radian XRT in a double cabin truck? (2011 Nissan Frontier in the backseat) Which one would be better for airplane and truck and still be able to use for second car at home? Any ideas or inputs would be very helpful. Thanks!

As you probably know, your 13-month old should remain rear-facing until at least 2 years old, preferably longer if at all possible. Rear-facing seats can be problematic in vehicles like pick-ups and smaller cars. Those that tend to last the longest for tall kids also tend to be the ones that take up more room in the car and may not fit rear-facing in smaller back seats!

The Pria is actually a good choice overall for space when used rear-facing. I would suggest that the Britax Pavilion will tend to be easier to install and take up less space than the Radian RXT in most vehicles. On the other hand, the Radian RXT will tend to last longer for taller kids, both rear-facing and forward-facing.

The chart in this link may help you find some models that tend to fit better in smaller back seats, along with their harness height limits for rear-facing:

http://carseatblog.com/22818/the-ul...ertible-space-comparison-review-size-matters/

estrella81tpa

Thank-You CPSDarren,

I'm torn between the Britax Pavillion and the Diono Radian XRT. We are traveling to Panama and visiting my father who owns the 2011 Nissan Frontier double cabin. I have a 2011 VW Jetta (4-door) and my husband has a 2007 VW Rabbit (2-door). The maxi-cosi fits nicely in both of our cars. With your experience do you think the XRT would work in the truck? And either of our cars with the angle adjuster? And how well does it travel? I've read that it's pretty heavy. How well does it fit in an airplane seat? I just feel like if I buy the Britax Pavillion she will outgrow it before the Maxi-cosi. And then I have to buy another carseat. :( Thanks for your help.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Most people buy the Radian for being narrow (3-across carseats) or for its extended rear-facing limits. It can be tricky to install in some vehicles, it is relatively heavy and some adjustments require you to uninstall it when forward facing.

For travel, maybe an option is a Cosco Scenera? It's usually under $40 at Walmart. It's a basic seat and it's relatively small and light for travel compared to these other models. For the price, the fact that it doesn't fit taller kids as long may not be a big deal? One tip is that it may need a pool noodle or rolled towel to be a little more upright for a 13-month old in a smaller vehicle. The Britax Roundabout G4 would be another somewhat less expensive option if you prefer Britax: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Britax-Roundabout-Convertible-Seat-Onyx/dp/B00F9Q3FPC/"]Amazon.com: Britax Roundabout G4 Convertible Car Seat, Onyx: Baby[/ame] .

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
For travel, maybe an option is a Cosco Scenera? It's usually under $40 at Walmart. It's a basic seat and it's relatively small and light for travel compared to these other models. For the price, the fact that it doesn't fit taller kids as long may not be a big deal? One tip is that it may need a pool noodle or rolled towel to be a little more upright for a 13-month old in a smaller vehicle.

Darren, can you give a little more detail about where the pool noodle/rolled towel goes if you are making the seat more upright? Maybe a picture of how this is done? I didn't know you could use devices to make the seat more upright -- I thought they were only allowed for making the seat more reclined.

Thanks!

estrella81tpa, you might check out the Nextfit too. It wouldn't be great for travel (quite heavy, although it is FAA approved), but it would likely fit your other needs (tall height limit when rear-facing, compact).

Will your father be picking you up from the airport in Panama? If so, and if your DD is (or will be) at least 22 lbs, then you might also consider a CARES harness. This is a great option for keeping your daughter secure in her seat on the plane, but you will need to have a carseat waiting for you upon arrival. If you have your father pick up a carseat to use once you arrive (or ship one to him), then you can avoid lugging the carseat on the plane itself.

http://kidsflysafe.com/

The downside, of course, is that your DD would have to be forward-facing on the plane, which would mean that she'd be less likely to sleep and might just generally be less comfortable. I also don't have enough experience with CARES harnesses to know how well they fit younger toddlers. I have a friend who flew with one when her daughter was 12 months old, though. I'm hoping a tech or someone with more experience can chime in if this is not an appropriate choice for your child at her age.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Darren, can you give a little more detail about where the pool noodle/rolled towel goes if you are making the seat more upright? Maybe a picture of how this is done? I didn't know you could use devices to make the seat more upright -- I thought they were only allowed for making the seat more reclined.

Doh you got me;-) Of course I meant to say less upright, or more reclined. More recline may or may not be needed for a 13-month old. Sometimes it installs pretty upright in some vehicles, so it may still need a little extra recline for comfort.

estrella81tpa

And Yes, my dad will be picking us up at the airport. I have a Titan 65 that was given to me, I'm thinking of using it while we are on our trip.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC