HBB weight limit question

scout

Hi.

DS is a pretty dense (physically, that is) child. At almost 54", he's at least 70 pounds. So am I crazy to look at HBBs with 80 pound limits? (I'm thinking Jane Indy Plus and Recaro Start.)
I can understand harnessed seats having limits like this, but I'm perplexed :eek: by weight limits for boosters.

He's still a car sleeper, and we are on the road a lot. I'm keeping him in the regent as long as possible, but we need a booster, too, at this point. Or in the near-ish future.

Thanks.

ADS

scout

Yeah, we borrowed a turbo, and he was not particularly comfortable - not enough leg support. Plus, he's getting tall -- I'm looking for more torso growth room.

Thanks, though.

NVMBR02

What about the sunshine kids monterey? I don't know to much about it, but I believe it is rated to 120lbs and has a tall back and good leg support. There are some pictures of kids in it in a different thread.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'm not positive about the weight limit, but the Graco Air Booster provides considerably more leg-support than the TB. It's also roomier in the hips. :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
We love our Starts, but my ds isn't much taller than yours (at age 10 and 68 pounds) and doesn't have a lot of growing room, regardless of the stated weight limit. I'd go with the Monarch or Monterey for the best width and sleep support if it were me. I hear the Jane is pretty tall, but I haven't seen one in real life (know an 11 yo that's just growing out of his).
I'm not sure why they have lower weight limits, these European brand seats... probably just based on the average 11 yo being 80 pounds and tall enough for a seatbelt? Doesn't take into account kids that vary from the average by much :(

scout

Thanks all, I appreciate the input. :)

I think I should rephrase my question.

Is the weight limit for boosters hard and fast, like it is for harnesses?
I understand harness weight limits, but am really struggling with the physics of a booster limit.

As for DS, he's shockingly slim for his weight. The doctor rechecks it after the nurse weighs him almost every time.

I've been watching the Monterey info with great hope. I'll keep watching for more reviews.

Thanks again.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I know Britax doesn't include weight information in most of the booster manuals any longer.

If there is a published weight limit, you need to abide by it (although to be perfectly honest and this is my mama opinion and not my CPST one, I would be far less panicky over an 82-pound child in an 80-pound booster than a 42-pound child in a 40-pound harness).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC