hbb lock the seatbelt???

U

Unregistered

My son is 5 &1/2 now and just started kindergarten. I have him in a frontier 85 and was harnessed until 2 weeks ago (I felt that he was ready to switch to booster mode) my question is this, in booster mode once the seatbelt is on are you suppose to retract the belt and lock it or do you just buckle it the way you would yourself? Which is safer? He's fine with it being locked and understands that if its not locked that he can't slouch or move. I'm very weary of the booster mode cause I feel like he was more protected in a 5 point harness. He hasn't outgrown the harness yet I just figured that since he's riding a bus now with just a lapbelt that he is getting too old for the internal harness. He's 48" tall and about 53 lbs...big kid. Would you recommend just switching it back to harness mode? I just want to do what's safest for him. We rear faced until he was 2...all my friends thought I was nuts. I was getting funny looks lately too when people saw him still in a 5 point harness. Sorry for being so long winded...I'm just confused!!!

ADS

Brianna

Welcome to car-seat.org :)

He's met the minimum requirement for booster mode on the Frontier, so as long as he sits properly all of the time then we have no evidence that he would be safer in a booster or 5 point harness. You can lock the seat belt in booster mode if the booster and vehicle permit it but otherwise you should not.

Be sure that you moved the recline block back and removed the screw. You may use LATCH in booster mode to ensure the seat won't be thrown around when not occupied. Just remove the slack from the straps, you don't need to pull as tight as if you were installing a harnessed seat. And great job on keeping him RF until 2!

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

Baylor

I am of the opinion that if the belt needs to be locked the child is not ready for booster. I used to think it was okay until I read some really well thought out posts from techs that make that argument.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC