HBB for wiggly 6.5 year old?

turtlejd

I have a 2010 Honda Odyssey. 6.5 yo DS (55lbs, 49") was recently moved out of his Frontier 85 to a turbobooster and I moved 4 yo DD (38lbs, 41") into his Frontier. She was riding in a Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL, a seat which I have not gotten along with and is being passed on to MIL. DS though is soooo wiggly and he can't seem to stay in the booster. He's leaning this way and that, hanging upside down......:mad: Should I move them all back to their old seats? Or is it the turbo that might be uncomfortable for him? He's fine in our other car, a Subaru Outback, in a Rodifix. It might be though because he's so squished in the back with his older sister in there too.

I'm thinking either:
1. Move DS back to his Frontier 85 in the 5 point harness. It just fits him still for height and put DD back in the Radian. (This solution would probably make everyone unhappy, including myself, but it's the most economical for now.)
2. Move DS back to his Frontier in the 5 point harness and he can eventually use it as a booster and get DD a Nautilus or something to last her the rest of her carseat days.
3. Try another booster with DS and keep DD in the Frontier 85. And if this is the option, booster suggestions?

Thanks for any suggestions! :)

ADS

Athena

If he's really riding properly in the Rodi and you think it might be the booster, then I'd test the theory by trying him in the Rodi in your car before replacing the turbo. But if he can't stay in position, then I'd put him in a harness asap because he's not safe riding out of position in a booster.

Also, have you explained to him why he needs to stay in position, that he won't be protected in a crash if he's not? I've found that's a crucial step in booster training. I wouldn't get any more graphic than needed, just be to the point about it.

aeormsby

If he's really riding properly in the Rodi and you think it might be the booster, then I'd test the theory by trying him in the Rodi in your car before replacing the turbo. But if he can't stay in position, then I'd put him in a harness asap because he's not safe riding out of position in a booster.

Also, have you explained to him why he needs to stay in position, that he won't be protected in a crash if he's not? I've found that's a crucial step in booster training. I wouldn't get any more graphic than needed, just be to the point about it.

:yeahthat:

turtlejd

Thank you! I will try him in the Rodifix in the Odyssey. Somehow didn't think of that one! And then back to frontier he must go if he can't sit. I've explained it to him many times why he needs to sit. He'll sit for a bit then gets all wiggly or silly with his sisters. When he's in the third row in the booster, he always leans toward the middle I think so he can see. Maybe he needs a frontier 90....the harness height is taller than the 85 right? Thanks again!

Athena

Thank you! I will try him in the Rodifix in the Odyssey. Somehow didn't think of that one! And then back to frontier he must go if he can't sit. I've explained it to him many times why he needs to sit. He'll sit for a bit then gets all wiggly or silly with his sisters. When he's in the third row in the booster, he always leans toward the middle I think so he can see. Maybe he needs a frontier 90....the harness height is taller than the 85 right? Thanks again!

The 90 is a little taller, but not by more than an inch.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC