HB booster in Farm truck

jenfrogmom

So, my Father in Law snuck my son (that he has no permission to leave with, and NO car seat!) in his farm truck and drove "around the block" as he calls it (2-5 miles radius). In order to avoid this situation again, should I get my 4.5 year old 43lbs, 43", a turbo booster or the like? He most likely will be on the back country roads, fields, or woods, or do I need to get him a 5 pt. harness. He only goes to Grandpa's like 4 times a year, so this isn't an every day thing. Id the Evenflo HBB or Graco better? Thanks.

ADS

cmcki737

Does he have any exprience with HBB's? Also will the grandparents be able to install the seat correctly on their own or will they

cmcki737

So sent the message by accident. Will they leave a five point in please or be able to install it on their own?

Brianna

Do you trust that FIL would harness him correctly, or that DS would put up a fight if grandpa didn't do it correctly? Or is it more likely for him to use a booster correctly?

jenfrogmom

I know 100% for a fact he would not be able to install a harnessed seat correctly, or even keep the straps tight enough. I almost fall over when I see how they have my nephew's seat installed in there van. Grandpa would never take the time to install a seat. He is of the mentality that they are "only going around the block". Parker has never rode in a highback booster before.

jenfrogmom

Parker sure didn't put up a fight when he got into the truck and rode around unrestrained. He thought it was cool. I was red hot flaming mad!

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
My son, who is also 4.5, has a booster for our farm truck (for emergency daycare pick ups) and in dh's car (also for emergency use). He's only been in it a few times, but he does well for those short rides. He rides harnessed in my vehicle, which is the every day vehicle. He balked at first, asking for his booster, but after a week or so of it, quit asking and is back to being content in his FR85.

Your son is the same height as mine, but a couple of pounds heavier. I don't like the TB (especially for grandparents) since the base can easily seperate from the back and you may find them using it as a backless. I just got a Compass B530 to use as a spare booster due to how easy it is to use. I find it easier then the ProBooster we have and I would think it would make a great grandparent's booster.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Recaro's are good. I've already found my Dad and my dh routing the shoulder belt wrong w/the arm rests though. I'm hoping with the Compass and the flip up arm rests, that it will help them get it right. Oh, don't forget...you can't lock the seat belt with a Recaro...at least not with the ProBooster.

I ordered my Compass from http://www.dealomite.com/infant-toddler/The-First-Years-Compass-Booster-Seat-Air-Cargo. Ha, they raised the price since I ordered mine. LOL Oh, and it has a 7yr lifespan...but the one we got was already over a year old. So essentially a 6yr life left. Not bad for the price IMO.

jenfrogmom

That is a good price. Yeah, the Recaro is out since it is 3 years old and 69.99. They won't budge on price. I have to get something tonight because he is leaving tomorrow. Is the Evenflo HBB good?

mamom

Personally I really like the evenflo big kid booster for grandparents. It stays together well. The adjustment is out of the way and can be carried about anyway and not affect the height. Also (PERSONALLY) I think it is much harder to route the seat belt incorrectly since the armrests move up and down and can be shown to "move out of the way so grandpa can buckle then put them back for ease" (you could tell FIL this)

I do HATE the lack of headwings, but I think of the alternative of a horrible buckle and take the trade off

mamom

safety first air requires a headrest behind the seat. Most farm trucks I am familiar with (they tend to be older trucks) don't have them, but yours might. Not familiar with ease of use with this seat

jenfrogmom

Good point, it is only a bench seat. I think the truck is like a 1972 or something. Sad but true, it is the coolest farm truck I have ever seen. LOL!

babyherder

Just throwing out a different opinion (feel free to ignore). I would no longer let your FIL be alone with your ds. He ignored your rules and took your child somewhere without your permission.

I think he'll be safest in a booster if you do let your ds ride with your FIL again.

jenfrogmom

Trust me babyherder, I wish I could do that. They see the kids so rarely and the in laws already think I am an uber b****. The HBB might be the best solution. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC