Having Twins

a-jmoore

My wife and I are having twin boys in three days. We never thought to try out the fit of our carseats until just the other day. We have major issues!!!

In April we bought a brand new 2013 Volvo XC60. We love the SUV and all the safety features that it offers. Here is the problem, I am 6'1" 280lbs. With the carseat behind me in the passenger seat there is no way I can fit in the car with my wife driving. But, without the base I can.

My question is, is it just as safe without the base?

The carseats are the Maxi-Cosi Prezi just in case that matters.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yes, without the base is fine. You could also try doing one on the driver's side and one in the middle.

Wendy

a-jmoore

We tried behind the driver and one in the middle. The problem was that it kind of canted the one closest to the door a little. We don't know if that is an issue or not? That is also with both bases.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
They need to be independently secure. As in, they can't be tight because the one next to them is there.

You tried them with the seatbelts like that? Often the seatbelts work better with two next to one another than one LATCH and one seatbelt.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC