Has my child graduated??

brooknjas

We've been switching around car seats and I thought I'd try my oldest to see if he passes the 5 point test. He's 10, but only about 50 lbs and around 54" tall.

We have an '06, 8-passenger Toyota Sienna, and in the back on the driver's side with the seatbelt going through the guide, it looks to me like it works! But I wanted to get some expert opinions, so here's a pic (note: I would of course put the headrest back in. It's removed for the sake of the HBB my younger DS was using there)

IMG_0389.JPG

Here's a close up of the guide that lowers the seatbelt. I checked the car's owner's manual and it did say that it's intended to be used to make the seatbelt more comfortable for kids and small adults:

IMG_0390.JPG

What do you think? Does he pass? He will be so thrilled if the answer is yes! :)

ADS

ahgirls

I like all but the lap belt part. I don't know if it's the picture or the fit. I am not sure on the weight. I thought the kid needed to be 80 lbs for seat belts. My oldest dd was in nbb till halfway through 6th grade in dh car. As the lap belt fit was to high for my liking.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I agree that the lap belt is too high, and that's the important part. Also, at 10 and 50 pounds he has nowhere started puberty, so his skeleton has not yet strengthened to adulthood. He would benefit from having a booster until then.

Wendy

Keeanh

Unfortunately, he really needs to grow some more. At 56", 75lbs, my almost-10yo technically 5-steps in a few vehicles with smaller seats, but I keep him in a booster because the fit is better with a booster. What does your son usually ride in? If it's a highback, or a "bigger" backless like an Amp, he might be consoled with a Literider ;). Just show him how the lap belt will cut into his stomach and turn his intestines into mush in a crash, and how the booster will keep that from happening until his hips grow some more. That makes my boys freak out if anyone tries to get them to ride without a booster.

Actually, I've had to remind my 12yo of that too :rolleyes:. She likes to slouch in her seat so the belt comes up on her bellybutton, but unfortunately at 5'7", 135lbs, I can't really threaten her with a booster ;).

brooknjas

I agree that the lap belt is too high, and that's the important part. Also, at 10 and 50 pounds he has nowhere started puberty, so his skeleton has not yet strengthened to adulthood. He would benefit from having a booster until then.

Wendy

Bummer about the lap belt, that makes sense to me. But I don't understand how the puberty/skeleton strength makes a difference? Because if the belt fits properly, it will hit them in the same place with or without a booster, won't it?

brooknjas

Unfortunately, he really needs to grow some more. At 56", 75lbs, my almost-10yo technically 5-steps in a few vehicles with smaller seats, but I keep him in a booster because the fit is better with a booster. What does your son usually ride in? If it's a highback, or a "bigger" backless like an Amp, he might be consoled with a Literider ;). Just show him how the lap belt will cut into his stomach and turn his intestines into mush in a crash, and how the booster will keep that from happening until his hips grow some more. That makes my boys freak out if anyone tries to get them to ride without a booster.

He's currently in a Graco backless booster. It's the real basic model, though and has almost no padding. Are there backless ones that are more padded and comfortable?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Bummer about the lap belt, that makes sense to me. But I don't understand how the puberty/skeleton strength makes a difference? Because if the belt fits properly, it will hit them in the same place with or without a booster, won't it?

No. His pelvic bone is not shaped yet like an adult's. Nor is it at adult strength. Between the two in a crash the lap belt can ride up onto the soft abdomen. Kids aren't just little adults. His body is actually different.

Here's the ten year old dummy in just a seatbelt. He appears to fit at the get go. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yUl4dCK1GA"]Adult belt is not enough - YouTube[/ame]

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm

The 5-Step Test.

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

With a sixth added, do the feet reach the floor? Otherwise they'll fail all of these.

Wendy

Kat_Momof3

I agree.. the lapbelt on his right (our left... toward the middle of the vehicle) is a bit high and between that and him not going through puberty yet, I'd hold off and keep him in a booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC