Question Harness tightening strap access

little

Im about to purchase a convertible seat for my 6 1/2 month old son who has outgrown his infant carrier seat. I've zeroed in on a consistent problem regarding access to the strap and latch located on the seat below the crotch which is used to tighten and loosen the harness. It appears that when in the rear facing position, access is blocked by the automobiles back seat. Ive seen the most complaints and solutions for the First Years True Fit, but Im wondering if this is a problem for every seat based on the way the access area is smashed into the back seat of the car when in the rear facing position. I compared the True Fit to the Marathon 70, but both seem to share the problem. Aside from the workaround solutions Ive already read, is this just a design flaw?

ADS

mominabigtruck

Seats that sit up on bases generally don't have that problem. The true fit and some cheaper seats like the safety 1st onside air and evenflo tribute tend to be harder to adjust because of the fact that they sit so low on the seat and the adjuster is low also.

It also depends on the vehicle seat. I have captain's chairs in my van and have never had the problem of not being able to reach the adjuster in any of my seats. That's opposed to a sedan where you don't have the option of reclining the seat to get a better install.

There's also the evenflo triumph advanced that has knobs on the side instead of the front adjuster. It's one of those love it or hate it kind of thing, it worked great rfing in my pt cruiser but the knobs were almost completely unaccessible in my van.
Posted via Mobile Device

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The True Fit has a continuous harness, so I rarely loosen and tighten it. The saving grace.

As MIABT said, it's most car and carseat dependent. What's a pain in my car may be fantastic in yours. Or great on the outer seat, but horrid in the middle.

Wendy

little

Thank you for the helpful replies. I will check into the evenflo triumph with the knob mechanism on the side for tightening the harness. I understand the continuous harness on the First Years True Fit does help with this issue, but I like the idea of being able to pull the strap to tighten like its intended.

Does anyone have experience routing the pull strap up the back of the vehicles seat in order to access it? I just dont see how you could pull the tightening strap straight out or down since it is blocked, especially when placing the car seat in a more upright 30 degree position. Thanks.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
little said:
Does anyone have experience routing the pull strap up the back of the vehicles seat in order to access it? I just dont see how you could pull the tightening strap straight out or down since it is blocked, especially when placing the car seat in a more upright 30 degree position. Thanks.

You basically just pull it out/up. I know people complain about the adjuster strap getting buried on the True Fit. I have installed them, but haven't used them myself. I have used about a dozen or so other seats an have never had a problem reaching or using the adjuster strap.

cpsaddict

I have a Marathon 70 and have never had an issue getting to the adjuster. It's actually very easy to adjust the harness. I tighten and loosen each ride because it's just that easy. I drive a Ford Escape, but have had the seat in a variety of vehicles.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC