Harness systems

ADS

skaterbabs

I may need to fit 6 in my Suburban. There are no tether anchor locations in the 3rd row; I have a call in to EZ-on about possible locations. The four older kids are fine outboard with shoulder belts; it's the 7 yo. that's left over. She fit in the MA until about 4 months ago, but there's no way I can fit the Regent in the 3rd row and the MA doesn't fit with the boosters. A DC might (no LATCH bars) but that's more than I can spend and would still involve moving the Regent in and out of the Suburban every time she rides with us. I have no issues installing it, but physically getting it in and out of the 2 door Jeep is more than I want to do often.

A harness system is an ideal solution. The 7 yo and her two siblings could then fit in the third row (or the 7 yo, her 11 yo brother and CJ, leaving Joy, Gregory and the 10 yo in the second row.)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
What year Suburban? There was a post recently about using the cargo hooks for TA's (they are approved tether anchors).

You probably already know that. Could you install the heavy-weight TA's yourself?

I think the Ride Safer Travel Vest is the only one that doesn't require a tether, but that's ONLY if you have a lap/shoulder belt. With lap-only belts, they do require a tether.

I haven't tackled the other two companies that make bus harness systems; I'm still working on the heavy-weight TA. If my latest lead doesn't pan out, I plan to see if I can get one of the other companies to find me a solution. :D

skaterbabs

The Radian won't work; the boosters won't fit next to it.

The 'burban is a '93. When I ordered the tether anchor for the 2nd row, GM corporate told me that the part number was the same for the 2nd and 3rd row, but the "tether anchor" is actually nothing more than a male seatbelt end with a loop, so I can't even tether a second row seat if I'm using all three third row seats.

crunchierthanthou

The Radian won't work; the boosters won't fit next to it.

The 'burban is a '93. When I ordered the tether anchor for the 2nd row, GM corporate told me that the part number was the same for the 2nd and 3rd row, but the "tether anchor" is actually nothing more than a male seatbelt end with a loop, so I can't even tether a second row seat if I'm using all three third row seats.

Someone posted one of those a few months ago. I thought you used it d-ring style with the tether clipping to the metal buckle tongue? That's what they were showing pictures of.

off to search...

skaterbabs

No, the pics are on the laptop, but it's all metal, by appearance basically an old male end from a sewn-on seatbelt assembly.

magoose

If you find out I would love to know. I am also still strugling to get both more tethers in and replacing two tethers with higher weight tethers so we can put 86 Y harnesses on the tethers. We have a 15 seater passenger van Dodge Ram "99. At this piont looking for some one to do it for us and if we can't find some one we will try it ourselves. We had a suburban before the passenger van. I have one booster set up with a 86 Y harness and that is working nice for the child that fits within that weight limit but i would like solutions for the other passengers too. Picture in another thread regarding 86 Y harness and booster use. Scroll down to see it.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=26264

Anna

Which harness systems do NOT require a top tether?

nisi

Senior Community Member
Which harness systems do NOT require a top tether?

You aren't going to like my answer, but the only harness system I can think of that can be used with a lap belt and no tether is the FreedomRide/JoeySafe, and (for the benefit of newbies or lurkers, I know skaterbabs knows this) that is NOT an acceptable solution. Really, I don't see how there could be any harness system that can be used with a lap belt and no tether that we'd find acceptable. If you don't have a shoulder belt, you need someting else to provide upper body support - eg a tether. The only other option I can think of would be to run the lap belt through the back of a harness/vest, and... well... that gives you the JoeySafe :( I just don't see another design possibility, though I'd be thrilled if someone proved me wrong.

If you could get your hands on a Laptop, would that work?

skaterbabs

I thought that's what you'd say. :( The LT would be too wide; if the LT would work the Radian would. The other solution is a Radian and not having the two 11 yo's boostered.

Breakdown:
11 b., fairly tall but I'm not sure of his exact weight. He passes the 5 Step test in the third row. Possibly might pass in second as well.

CJ, does pass the 5 step test in the third row.

10 yo g., needs a booster, she's slightly shorter than Gregory.

Gregory, needs a booster, but has a long torso and might pass 5 step test in third row. (But not second.)

7 yo g., just outgrew the MA by height in July, but she's a lightweight. Line her pockets with rocks and she might hit 50 lbs.

Joyjoy, fits MA, Radian, Regent just fine - she's the easy one.

In a harness like the EZ-on her head would be below the vehicle seatback, but everyone else is SOL because of the short seatbacks. The 7 yo might come in under by the midpoint of her head.

From what I can tell there simply isn't a 3rd row tether location.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC