Happy Booster Law, Ohio!

U

Unregistered1

Just a reminder that the new Ohio law requring children under 8 years old who are also under 4'9" to ride in a booster seat goes into effect today! Warnings are being given for the first year with full citations, fines, and possible jail time (depending on accompanying offenses, repeat offenses, etc) being given starting one year from tomorrow. For more information visit www.boostohiokids.org!

ADS
U

Unregistered1

Yikes. OK, so I just found out, the day AFTER the law was supposed to take effect, that it has been pushed back six months. It will not take effect now until October 6. Lame, IMO, but I don't make the rules.

Gena

Yikes. OK, so I just found out, the day AFTER the law was supposed to take effect, that it has been pushed back six months. It will not take effect now until October 6. Lame, IMO, but I don't make the rules.

How strange. All of our local news stations ran stories about the new law earlier this week. They never said anything about it being pushed back.

U

Unregistered1

How strange. All of our local news stations ran stories about the new law earlier this week. They never said anything about it being pushed back.

We could pretend it's taken effect! :p I'm fine a little bit of accidental deception! I've just been telling people "There's this new law that's been passed" hehe.

I guess no one knows that much about it. Maybe no one at the health department really WANTS that information out there. I only found out because I saw something on boost ohio kids and e-mailed our safe kids coordinator to find out the full story. She sent out an email to all the techs the next day.

aaminnky

Senior Community Member
I'm in Southern OH and have not heard much about the new law. I think there was a blurb on the news when it first passed, but no additional info.

Since we are so close to IN and KY, do kids in cars registered in those states have to comply with the OH law when traveling across state lines?

U

Unregistered1

I'm in Southern OH and have not heard much about the new law. I think there was a blurb on the news when it first passed, but no additional info.

Since we are so close to IN and KY, do kids in cars registered in those states have to comply with the OH law when traveling across state lines?

Any child that is under 8 years old riding in a car in the state of Ohio will have to ride in a booster seat while in Ohio starting in October. Indiana has a similar law protecting children of the same age and Kentucky's law protects children under 7 years old - so most of these children should be in a booster full time regardless of the state they're in anyways :)

MANDY1234

I hope people listens to this though i dought it! All I hear people complain about when I talk about this is how stupid it is and how inconvenient it is for them! :hitselfonhead:

Shaunam

I keep expecting to hear something about it but I never do. Remember when michigan passed theirs like a year or 2 ago and people had a FIT! Because they were going to have to spring for a $15 booster. :rolleyes: So there were a million newspaper articles trying to convince people it really was safer and that health depts would be giving out free ones to those who qualify.

In ohio....nothing. I haven't seen a single article or news blip or anything. Weird.

Why are they pushing it back, does anyone know? I'm SO sick of seeing 5 years olds in the front seat in nothing. :thumbsdown:

cheerbop

I am totally with you on this one!

I am in Ohio and I have seen and heard NOTHING i the press about it. It is so stupid. They make sure the stupidest things are advertised like crazy and this gets brushed under the rug:thumbsdown:

U

Unregistered1

I don't have a clue why it got pushed back OR why the press isn't reporting on it. When the law was first signed, it was signed along with a series of other legislation so the blurb about the booster law passing was within articles about the governor signing lots of bills, which most people didn't read. I thought there would be more about it in the following months but there has been next to nothing, and what there is you have to hunt for. I discussed this with someone at a seat check recently and she was as dismayed as I am, but she is a health department employee and didn't know any more than I did about why.

As far as it getting pushed back, I didn't even find out until the day it was supposed to take effect, I noticed something on Boost Ohio Kids and sent an e-mail to our safe kids coordinator for clarification - she sent out an email to all the techs the NEXT day with the fact that it had been pushed back but not why.

Way to keep the grass roots people informed, Ohio! :rolleyes:

ctbcleveland

It is pretty common for laws to get pushed back to give the public more time to comply - I think that happened with the smoking ban too. Either way, I will take it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC