Vent Had to put my 6 year old in the front seat

twin momma

:eek:

I have three kids, all in boosters - 6 year old twins and a 4 year old.

I took my car in for what was supposed to be a quick repair. They gave me a Honda Civic loaner. I asked for something bigger just in case. They didn't have anything bigger. The boys are in Britax boosters and my daughter is in a Graco booster. There is NO way to get three boosters across the back seat. I even went to Walmart and bought a Bubblegum booster hoping I could make it work.

They didn't have my car ready yesterday and I had to put my larger twin in the front seat in his booster. (He's 4' 4", and over 60 lbs.) I put the seat as far back as I could.

WELL... they won't have my car ready AGAIN. I'll try puzzling differently. I really don't want to do this again. How bad is it? They might have a larger loaner car come in today - and he said he'd hold it for me. However, he doesn't know when it will come in. I may not have it in time for pickup.

ADS

aeormsby

The usual rule of thumb is to put the oldest harnessed child in the front seat. Is the Graco your DD uses the Nautilus (with the harness)?

If not then the largest child in the front makes sense to me. Either way, put the seat back as far as works for the situation.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
As long as the child remains upright and seated properly at all times, the added risk from the airbag is minimal.

The problem arises when the child leans forward, puts his feet on the dash, fiddles with the Radio, etc. The combination of a child who is not in optimal position for restraint by the seat belt and the child's immature skeletal system is what is deadly.

Is your 4 year old's "booster" a harnessed seat or a belt positioning booster? Most of the time, we really encourage 4 year old kids to remain harnessed; and if that child's seat has a harness it might be a safer bet to put her in the front because she won't physically be able to lean out of position and be hit by the airbag.

twin momma

Unfortunately I don't have the harnessed Graco. All the boosters are HBBs. I have harnessed seats... just didn't think I needed them. GRRRRR

The 4 year old's (turns 5 in February) HBB is not harnessed. She does remain upright in her booster; on the rare occasion she has fallen asleep, the's remained upright with her head resting on the head rest of the seat. It's basically used to get her home from school. She rides in a harnessed convertible seat in Dad's car. I got her the booster because she outgrew her harnessed seat. Should I have gotten her another harnessed seat for my car?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Well, I generally prefer to see 4yos and new 5yos harnessed, but if she behaves well in the booster and she's harnessed most of the time, it's not really a high priority to change up right now.

Mommy!

If you have no choice but to put a child in a booster in the front seat, it's best to use a backless booster rather than a HBB. By using the backless instead of the highback (HBB) the child will be two or three inches further back from the airbag.

If your DD's booster (you mentioned it being Graco?) is a Graco Turbo HBB, could you remove the back to convert it to a backless, and have one of the 6 yr olds use her Turbo as a backless in the front seat, and have her use the 6 yr olds HBB in the back?

Also I'd put whichever 6 yr twin is less impulsive and more likely to stay seated correctly, not leaning forward etc, in the front seat, regardless of which is larger. With them both being at the same physical age and, likely, body/bone development I'd consider the impulsiveness to be a more important deciding factor. How much bigger is the bigger twin by the way? Does one have any medical issues?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
While a backless booster would offer an advantage, that would be negated if the child needs the highback to help stay properly seated.

Some kids tend to get pretty squirmy in backless boosters and that wouldn't be a good thing. It's really something you have to assess with your own children.

Do you have a harnessed seat from the other car that you could put in the front and put the 4 year old into, until you get your car back?

Keep in mind that it's even more important in the front seat that the car seat be used correctly. I don't want to question your ability to use a car seat, but with at least an 80% mis-use rate in the US, statistically speaking it's a possibility (actually a probability) I need to consider when I haven't actually seen the child in the seat. I would encourage you to take another pass through the seat's manual and double-check that everything is correct, and ask questions (and post pictures!) if there's any question at all.

twin momma

The bigger twin is at least 3" taller than his brother.

I actually thought of removing the back after the fact - I thought it would put him further away from the airbag. The boys' boosters are Britax Parkway SG, so I could remove the backs from them if it would be better.

I should have my car back today. Dad was able to get off of work early to pick them up yesterday. The kids might have to ride in the car one more time. However, I changed out one of the Britax Parkway SG for a Harmony booster and then was able to puzzle the seats in the back to where I think I can get them all in the back.

I read my owner's manuals and family refer to me as a "car seat nazi". The car seats are really the main line of defense for keeping the kids safe in an accident, so I try to make sure I use them properly.

Regarding my 4 year old, all thee kids ride in Radians in their dad's car. I may be able to change out the bigger boy's seat for a booster (if it will fit) and put her back in a harnessed seat without buying new seats. The only issue is that they can all buckle themselves into the harnessed seats in dad's car, which is important to me. Dad isn't on the same page as I am with regard to car seats and doesn't always buckle them in properly in the boosters. I am training the kids to get it right themselves but with three across, he may not be able to get to the buckle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC