Growth Chart Gurus? Whaddaya think? (Leah RF in RN till 40?)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
So here's Leah in the RN this morning... http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#5356813280476135874 I got about 4 inches over her head in the RN (tried to lean the seat back to simulate RF...). She runs about 80-95th percentile for weight/height, but seems to be averaging out on weight (been 33ish for 7 months now :rolleyes:). And here's her older sister with her head even with the top FF at 6 and 45 pounds http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#5356813923758656946 (she's sitting stock straight upright, I'm sure she'd sink down some if she were RF, but I can't go back in time to test that theory, lol).

I'm getting 25 inches for the top of the middle of the back of the RN, is that what others get? And, isn't the Complete Air supposedly 27?

And for a historical perspective on my 'buy an RF seat for a 3 yo...' craziness, here's DD1, I bought her a Marathon as soon as I could afford it to turn her back RF...http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

ADS

zeo2ski

Well as for the shell height...I get 25 for the RN also--which is also what I (and others) get for the MA/BLVD, but we all know the RN lasts eons longer.
ETA: My point there was that we don't yet know how the shell height of the Air will impact how kids fit it.

On the CDC growth charts right now Leah is right in the 50th percentile for weight. At 50%, 40 lbs would be reached at age 59 months. If she jumped back up to the 75-95% range 40 lbs would be between ages 44-51 months.

Assuming 2" overall height increase for 1" of torso growth, 3" of torso growth gives 6" height increase=46.5". Her current 40.5" puts her in the 90-95%, and in that % she'd reach 46.5" at 64-67 months.

So to sum it up, yep, you're good to go! She should hit 40 lbs before outgrowing by height. Now I gotta go do that math for my kid:p

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Thank you thank you thank you :) I'm glad I remembered I had that picture of Bitsy in my Photobucket to get a half a glimpse into the future for Leah (though Bitsy was, well...bitsy... she was always 25th-50th for weight and height, she got that nickname in the womb when she was measuring too small, lol).

I really need to get rid of some seats before DH starts going ballistic on me for buying even more.... <whistle>

zeo2ski

Ack, my kid won't make it as long! 44-50 mos on weight and 61 mos by height...maybe his weight will level off by then. There's always hope they'll up the limit more, but in the next 10 months? I doubt it.

zeo2ski

(though Bitsy was, well...bitsy... she was always 25th-50th for weight and height, she got that nickname in the womb when she was measuring too small, lol).

Hehe, my DS2 was a real peanut for a while, so we started calling him pumpkin and he's living up to the name now! He's gained 5 lbs from 11-15 mos and is now back on the growth charts. With his current percentiles (but assuming the same torso proportions as his brother, since I haven't measured what's left over his head in the RN), he'll last to 68-75 mos by weight and 67-73 mos by height in the RN!!!! But he's tough to predict lately, having an unidentified metabolic disorder...

jeno

Senior Community Member
Jools, I've been following you around since you were pregnant with Leah. My DS1 was born 3/1/06 and I still credit you for my interest in carseat safety and being on the leading trend of owning a Keyfit. Thank YOU!!!

So do you own a Radian that can RFace to 40lbs. Mine is older so if I want to put Will back to RF, I'd have to buy another seat. Not sure how well that would go over with him. I've got to talk to DH tonight to see what he thinks.

My hang-up is that he's been consistently 37.5-38lbs for a few months and looks about even with Leah's height. Once fall/winter hit we're going to be really close to 40lbs.

What to do, what to do?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Hi! Yeah, I remember you getting that Key Fit, lol :)
I have to buy a new RN, mine was made 1/06, and only the 9/08 and newer ones will RF to 40. I'm still pondering whether I should do it, I probably only will get one if I can find a wicked cheap deal on it somewhere. We do like it FF and will get another couple years out of it that way, so it's not *just* for 1 years' use RF, too....if you like yours and will find a use for your younger kiddo in it, then it's not a bad idea.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC