graco snugride vs. chicco keyfit

soranea

Needing a little help here. I am trying to fit 3 across in the back of an 09 mitsubishi lancer. I have heard it is tough, but possible. So I am wondering in regard to infant seats which would be better. The graco snugride 30 says it is 16.5" wide, and the chicco keyfit 22 is 16.75". Are these the width with or without the bases? I was at first thinking to go with the graco snugride, since it is just that 1/4" narrower, and it can go up to 30 lbs, so might give us just a bit more bang for our buck. But now I am questioning that, since I am not sure if there is more of a difference if the seats are baseless. TIA for any help :)

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I really don't know if the extra 1/4" would matter - and it might have just depended on who was measuring the seat, and where. It's probably at the widest point with the base on, but where that widest point is matters a lot depending on what seats are next to it. It also matters if your centre seat is raised up on a hump or not, and how scooped the outboard seats are. What I mean is the various elevation of the vehicle seats means a tight 3-across would work in one car with a particular set of seats but not in another if the widest spots don't puzzle in well with the seat next to it. If both work I too would get the Snugride 30 because it gives you more weight (the same height though), and is generally cheaper.

Unless someone has done one in your exact car, there's really no way to know for sure except to go and try it out. Are you near a Babies R Us? They let you try seats and would have both of those seats. Try different orders, as sometimes that matters greatly. You must install the centre seat with a seat belt, and doing the outboard seats with the seat belt too will likely give you more room again as you can shove the seat to the side before tightening. All three need to be independently tight and not relying on the one next to it for a tight installation, with less than 1" of movement at the belt path.

snowbird25ca

I think in actual use you'll find the snugride 30 to be narrower. The Keyfit is close enough that it likely will work as well. I don't know what the buckle stalks are like in the Mitsubishi, and haven't done a ton of seatbelt installs with the snugride 30, but I see potential for a seatbelt install with longer buckle stalks to be problematic. The base on the SR30 is definitely lower profile than the keyfit base, and I think the belt path is slightly narrower as well.

One thing to note, is that if you plan to buy an extra base for the SR30, you will lose the narrow factor because the extra base for the SR30 is the SR35 base. If that's the case, you may have an extra reason to choose a keyfit - though I think Keyfit bases are a little harder to find.

Hope this helps.

soranea

thanks for the responses. I was hoping to get a myride 65 for our toddler, and hopefully the snugride will fit beside the base under the cupholder parts, since the base of the myride is so narrow.
I didn't know BRU let you try the seats out. I have one fairly close to my house, so maybe we will make a trip there soon to try things out.

@snowbird, do you mean the snugride30 might have problems installing with just a seatbelt? How so, do you think?
I don't think we will need a second base, but if we do get one it can go in our van. I'm thinking that either seat will most likely have to be installed without the base, but I am hoping we can do some puzzling and get the base in there for the ease factor.

snowbird25ca

@snowbird, do you mean the snugride30 might have problems installing with just a seatbelt? How so, do you think?
I don't think we will need a second base, but if we do get one it can go in our van. I'm thinking that either seat will most likely have to be installed without the base, but I am hoping we can do some puzzling and get the base in there for the ease factor.

It will depend on the seatbelts - seating positions with long buckle stalks may be problematic. I'm pretty sure in the vehicles I drive it'd be no problem, but I can think of a few vehicles where it might be so I'm mentioning it because I really don't know what the seatbelts in the back of your vehicle are like. (I don't think I've ever worked in your model of vehicle to know off the top of my head if the buckle stalks are "normal" or prone to being a problem.).

tiggercat

I'd go with the snugride 30, personally, because you will likely be doing seatbelt installs, and I've had a few nice 3 acrosses foiled by the keyfit's lock off slipping (you can't use a locking clip with the keyfit base, you have to use the built in lock off so if it doesn't hold you are out of luck). With the Snugride you can use a locking clip, and it is a tiny bit narrower.

ETA, my best friend has a similar model year lancer ralliart and I've helped her put a variety of seats in it with no trouble. I know she had a snug22 in the middle (seatbelt of course, no center latch) with no problem. I don't recall the buckle stalks being especially long or problematic.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

canadiangie

Success!

Rear facing MyRide65 behind driver with seatbelt.

Apramo backless middle with seatbelt, obviously.

BabyTrend FlexLoc with UAS.

I tried MR65 middle with KF, SR35 (I don't have a 22 or 30), and FlexLoc. No go, even baseless.

I tried MR65 middle with backless Turbobooster and Apramo beside, and neither would sit flush against the seatback.

I also tried a backless Turbobooster in between the MR65 and FlexLoc and the armrests are just too high. You will need an Apramo middle. Or a Harmony backless -- they are essentially the same shape and size.

Anyone will tell you the FlexLoc isn't the friendliest seat to install, but in this case you might need one. You will see in the pics that I'm going to send [to OP].

soranea

thanks. I'm wondering wit the turbo booster, couldn't you just take the armrests off? They're not there for safety, just comfort, right?

Xandra

thanks. I'm wondering wit the turbo booster, couldn't you just take the armrests off? They're not there for safety, just comfort, right?

No no no! The armrests act as hips for the child, and keep the belt low. They absolutely cannot be removed.

tiggercat

The armrests (and screws attaching the armrests) do bear crash forces and are absolutely required. The seat does not pass crash tests without it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC