Graco Nautilus--with our without Safety Surround?

U

Unregistered

Hello,

I need to purchase a new car seat for my DD and I think I've decide to go with the Graco Nautilus. Seems simple, but now I see there is the older version with the regular headwings and the new version with "Safety Surround." I love the idea of the Safety Surround adding an extra measure of protection, but I'm wondering if the fact that they stick out more is going to be annoying to her? She likes to look out the window and watch the world go by and I'm concerned she will be constantly craning her neck. Does anyone have firsthand experience that can lend some input?

Thank you so much!

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Hello,

I need to purchase a new car seat for my DD and I think I've decide to go with the Graco Nautilus. Seems simple, but now I see there is the older version with the regular headwings and the new version with "Safety Surround." I love the idea of the Safety Surround adding an extra measure of protection, but I'm wondering if the fact that they stick out more is going to be annoying to her? She likes to look out the window and watch the world go by and I'm concerned she will be constantly craning her neck. Does anyone have firsthand experience that can lend some input?

Thank you so much!

Hi and welcome! Just a bump for your thread, because I'm not familiar with the newer Safety Surround version. I have purchased a number of seats with headwings, however, and my kids don't find them annoying. :)

How old is your daughter, and how much does she weigh? What is your budget? Maybe we can provide some other recommendations to look into as well. :)

MotoMommaNH

I think the Safety Surround as sort of a feel good feature. Yes, it looks like it has more protection and maybe it does, but there's no standardized testing for side impact protection in the US so you just have to take the manufacturers claim of increased safety with a grain of salt.

If I were choosing, and were thinking of spending that little extra for another feature, I'd much rather a lockoff and go with the Nautilus Elite instead. A lockoff can really help with the required seatbelt installs on the higher weight harnessed seats (LATCH weight limit on that seat is a 48 lb child and may even be lower for certain vehicles). Just my :2cents:

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If I were choosing, and were thinking of spending that little extra for another feature, I'd much rather a lockoff and go with the Nautilus Elite instead. A lockoff can really help with the required seatbelt installs on the higher weight harnessed seats (LATCH weight limit on that seat is a 48 lb child and may even be lower for certain vehicles). Just my :2cents:

I'm with you on that! :)

U

Unregistered

OP here, thanks for the input so far! DD is 3.5, 38" and 29lbs. She has been in an Evenflo Momentum but I am going to pass the on to my younger DS and purchase a new seat for her rather than purchasing another convertible (DD has been FF for awhile now so RF is not an issue). I was leaning towards the Nautilus based on price, reviews, etc. I know the Britax Frontier also gets high marks but I just didn't like it as much when looking at it in the store, especially for the higher price point. What am I missing?

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
OP here, thanks for the input so far! DD is 3.5, 38" and 29lbs. She has been in an Evenflo Momentum but I am going to pass the on to my younger DS and purchase a new seat for her rather than purchasing another convertible (DD has been FF for awhile now so RF is not an issue). I was leaning towards the Nautilus based on price, reviews, etc. I know the Britax Frontier also gets high marks but I just didn't like it as much when looking at it in the store, especially for the higher price point. What am I missing?

The new Frontier 90? It's got a new seat belt install method that is supposed to be much easier. How often you move seats, if your car is a PITA to put seats in, that factors in. It's got a higher max weight and height, but that is way overkill, for most kids the Nautilus will easily get them to or well above a safe boostering age/weight.

When we were deciding on combination seats for our son, the Nautilus won. Not to sway you from the Fr90, it's a great seat too, just to let you know that a mom who is a tech picked the GN, in case that makes you feel any better about your own decision. :)

U

Unregistered

What about the Argos Elite? From what I understand it is an upgraded version of the Nautilus Elite, the difference being some padding and no-rethread straps. I like that last feature because I've really gotten used to the strap adjustment on the Momentum that also has the no-rethread. However, does Graco even make the Argos Elite anymore? The only one I can find is a 2011 and that means two years are already gone from its useful life. Not sure I want to invest in a seat that only has four years left on it. Ugh, whoever thought choosing car seats would be so hard?

U

Unregistered

Meant to add, I have the same concern about the Nautilus Elite. I see it on Amazon but it doesn't appear from Graco's Web site that they currently manufacture the Elite. I'm afraid of getting a seat that is already a few years old. :(

MotoMommaNH

Check out the carseatblog's review on the Argos Elite and it also has a handy comparision chart if you want to look at that http://carseatblog.com/23979/graco-argos-70-elite-review-reliable-versatile/

I see a few on Amazon.com and I'm thinking maybe they are just going to be coming out with some new covers soon so that's why you don't see a lot of them?

the ABC kids expo is next week where a bunch of manufacturers show their next season stuff so maybe wait until then and recheck.

Also, not to confuse you more but if you like the Frontier but not for the higher price point, you can always check out the Pioneer70. It's not quite as high height and weight limit but still will get most average kiddos to booster age just fine.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC