Graco Nautilus vs. Britax Frontier

Momma2PnS

We were in a car accident yesterday. Everyone is okay, but I need to replace all of my car seats. My 4 year old (39", 38 lbs) was in a Britax Regent. He loved the seat, but I HATED the bulk and weight. I want to replace it with either the Graco Nautilus or the Britax Frontier. I'd like something that will move him into a booster way down the road. We also fly to California once a year & I'd like a seat that will be easy to gate check and install in a 2005 Toyota Tundra (car we use in California). It also needs to be safe and simple in our older 1998 Toyota Tacoma...the car we tow are boat in during the summer.

My son also likes to fall asleep in his car seat, so head comfort is a big deal. Cost isn't really an issue since the insurance company will be reimbursing us...but I do need to stay under the MSRP for the Regent.

Thanks for your help.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I wouldn't gate check either. That'd be like crashing it. I'd probably bring a booster on board and stow it, use the seat as a harnessed seat on board, buy a Ride Safer Travel Vest, or ship a booster to your destination.

What kind of Tacoma? If you have a tiny backseat neither may work long term.

Wendy

Momma2PnS

So then what seat would you recommend for flying? I thought you couldn't use the Frontier on an airplane? I know people here are against gate check, but sometimes we aren't given an option when flying certain airlines.

It's been a long time since I've had to research all of this and now I have to replace 3 seats at once.

I know the Tacoma won't work long term..but it is the ONLY car we have when we take the boat on vacation. Short of buying a new truck or taking two cars, I need to figure out the best option. In the past they have used a Marathon and the Compass. But the Marathon is about to expire this October.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You can use either the Nautilus or Frontier (or I'd bring your attention to the Graco Argos as well, and the Evenflo SecureKid) in harness mode on the plane. They're FAA approved in harness mode.

And if you're using them as a booster, there are far lighter and easier boosters to travel with, so I wouldn't check them.

If you were using them as harnessed seats on an American carrier, then you had every single right in the world to use them for ticketed children, and the flight attendants were wrong. American carriers cannot make you check seats that are FAA approved for children you have bought tickets for. Someone here (on her way back from a carseat conference, no less) had a flight attendant tell her to gate check her infant seat or get off, and she had the airline buy her a new carseat, since they couldn't guarantee that it would work again after being gate checked. And the flight attendant realized his mistake (a ticketed six month old in an FAA approved infant seat) just after take off, when it was too late.

What kind of Tacoma do you have? Does it have a full backseat, fold down backseats, etc?

Wendy

Momma2PnS

I made that confusing, didn't I? Sorry. The truck in California is not a big deal. I'm sure I can travel with either the frontier or the Nautilus. We aren't there often enough to buy a seat to keep there.

My big concern is will either the GN or Frontier (or both) work in the access cab on the 1998 Toyota Tundra? This is my husband's truck that the kids ride in when my car isn't available or we are towing our boat in the summer. There are no tether anchors and the back seat isn't super deep. I think it's called an access cab. It's not an "extra" cab and they aren't jump seats. Just a long bench seat that folds down, with passengers facing forward.

I saw that GN allows for 20% overhang if needed, but can it also been installed without being tethered? What about the Frontier? Can it be installed safely without being tethered?

FWIW, our Marathon fit just perfectly on the seat. the base did not hang over one bit. But that Marathon will expire in October.

sorry to sound obsessed. but I need to replace these seats soon and i don't want to do it twice. I took DS to TRU today and he sat in both the GN & Frontier. He was much more comfy in the Frontier, but both seem easy enough to install.

jkrkmama

We have a Honda Ridgeline and a Frontier outboard on the passenger side. It's a bigger truck than the Tacoma, but still with limited space and we have no problem. I really like the frontier. We had a nautilus briefly and found it to be a PITA.

Kaitsmom

Aahh, I thought you meant the truck was in California.

The Frontier is huge, with a whole lot of pushing I can get it all the way onto the back seat in my dads crew cab F150, but when I just sit it on the seat without buckling it theres a good bit of overhang, the whole foot prop is hanging off of the seat. Can you take the truck to BRU and try them out?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Nautilus and Frontier allow for 20% overhang in harness mode. The Frontier allows 20% overhang as a booster, the Nautilus requires 100% on the seat. Both can be installed without a tether, though the Frontier 85 requires one after 65 pounds harnessed. The SICT does not.

Wendy

Momma2PnS

Thanks to everyone for your quick responses and help. We've decided to buy both. LOL! I will use the Frontier in my car. The Nautilus will go in Grandma's car (the Marathon she uses expires in April). I'll get a chance to try both the BF & GN in the truck before figuring out what our next seat will be for the truck. We have until October to use the Marathon that has been working so well.

Again, thank you. It's been a whirlwind few days with the car accident & I knew I could count on the ladies here to answer some confusing questions. :love:

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Sounds like a great plan. By October he will also be 6m older (closer to 5y or possibly 5y already). So you might even want to look at a booster for the truck. You could also use the booster for travelling.

Many use a RSTV or a booster like the turbo for travel. The back of the turbo comes off, so you put the back in your checked luggage with clothes around it to protect it and carry the backless part onboard.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC