Question Graco Nautilus install in 2001 Intrepid

U

Unregistered

I have trouble securing my sons seat in my parents 2001 Dodge Intrepid. I place it in the center, but because the seat belt does not lock, I have to use the metal locking clip to secure it. However, there is not room to place the locking clip behind the latch plate of the seat belt because it will not lay flat in the belt path of the carseat. I twist the buckle 3 times at the seat crease and is still does not allow room. Is a proper install not possible in an Intrepid (2001)? Please let me know! Thanks.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Welcome.

The belts do lock. They're required to by law, so if they don't they're broken and need fixing.

Either pull the seatbelt all the way out and see if that causes it to switch, or look at the buckle. Compare it to the driver's buckle (the sliding part). If the backseat's looks different than the driver's, then they lock at the buckle with a lightweight locking latchplate. Or check the manual of the car if you have it.

This website is very good about explaining the different types of latchplates. http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

Wendy

Jessica61624

The middle belt is a lap belt and should lock at the latch plate. If it does not lock properly you will need to get it fixed. And use a different seating position until then. You cannot use a locking clip on a lap only belt. I have a 2000 intrepid. the Nautilus installs nicely in all positions. Your lap shoulder belts outboard lock at the latch plate. In my experience they slip Easily. You can turn the female buckle a full 3 turns and the seat belt part a half turn so the latch plate engages. I don't have any pictures sorry.

Eta after looking online the middle belt may be lap/shoulder. If so then try turning the latch player 1/2 turn.

U

Unregistered

Thank you both!

@ Wendy, thanks for the website, I'll check it out! I will check all the belts again, but I couldn't get any of them to lock. I thought is was strange because it is a 'newer' year. I think I know exactly what you are talking about with it locking at the buckle. I believe that is the case in this car. I will give it a try this week. :)

@ Jessica, in my parent's car it is the lap/shoulder belt. I always turn the female buckle 3 full turns so that it does not buckle in teh belt path of the Nautilus. However, I had forgotten about turning the male a half turn...that would probably solve our issue! :)

Can I turn the female buckle 3 full turns and the male buckle a half turn in any vehicle if necessary to get a good install?

Thank you both again!

Jessica61624

Unregistered said:
Thank you both!

@ Wendy, thanks for the website, I'll check it out! I will check all the belts again, but I couldn't get any of them to lock. I thought is was strange because it is a 'newer' year. I think I know exactly what you are talking about with it locking at the buckle. I believe that is the case in this car. I will give it a try this week. :)

@ Jessica, in my parent's car it is the lap/shoulder belt. I always turn the female buckle 3 full turns so that it does not buckle in teh belt path of the Nautilus. However, I had forgotten about turning the male a half turn...that would probably solve our issue! :)

Can I turn the female buckle 3 full turns and the male buckle a half turn in any vehicle if necessary to get a good install?

Thank you both again!

Yes that is acceptable in any vehicle with locking latch plates. Most cars don't have such insanely long belt stalks. Also remember to use the top tether. In a 2001 you should have them in all 3 seats.

U

Unregistered

Thank you! The belt stocks do seem very long in their car. Also, we always use the teather...and it is in all 3 positions! Thanks! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC