Graco Nautilus in new Odyssey

Sarabela

We are picking up a new 2011 Odyssey tomorrow and we have 4.5 year old twins harnessed in Graco Nautilus'. We currently have them in our 2008 Odyssey in the captain's chairs but if we need to use the seat in between the captain's chairs then the others who need to get in the third row have to climb in and out of the trunk or wait until the 3 in the middle row are out and put the center seat down. I am hoping that since they widened the Odyssey and the center row middle seat is quite a bit wider that we can put the 2 Nautilus' side by side, one in a captains chair, one in the middle seat. Has anyone tried this yet?

ADS

npauli

I bet width won't be a problem. If there is a problem, It would most likely be with getting a good install RF on the middle seat - the carseat has to be narrow in all the right places to fit in between the plastic hinge cover things.

OOPS - just reread your post. Sounds like it would be FF then. In that case, I'd be surprised if it didn't work. I don't have a Nautilus or even know what it looks like, but there should be enough width for most combinations of seats. We've got an advocate (really wide) in next to a MyRide 65. It helps that all the seats can slide fore/aft quite a bit so seats can nest/puzzle better.

Sarabela

As it turns out it does not work. The footings of the nautilus hang over the side of the seat, just a teeny bit but it's enough that it makes it not do-able. Darn it.

bnsnyde

We just got the 2011 Odyssey with 8 seats. We have 4 kids (as of this April). I think it will work for you.

We have a Britax Advocate behind the passenger front seat, and a Britax Chaperone in the middle seat, right next to the Advocate. There IS wide-mode, so the seats could be spread out more and fit with even more room. But, then the kid next to the door is really close to the door (and in a crash that's probably not as safe, technically). The handle of my infant seat brushes against the Advocate only because this new Advocate has HUGE side protection (which I like). If I used wide-mode I'd have no touching of the seats. Both are pretty big seats, too.

My 3 and 4-year-old sit in the third row, one on each side. Radian XT. This leaves me JUST the chair behind the driver's seat to move each time I go back there to buckle them in/out. It is not hard, and I am 7 months pregnant.

It's a good van!
DID YOU TRY WIDE MODE? THE SEATS MOVE APART TO SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM. You have to ask the dealer how to do this; it's easy if you know how, but not if you don't. If they really don't fit, then try two Radian XT's. They are very narrow, meant to fit 3 across in most cars. And perfect for your ages of kids. They last until the kids are OLD.

Last edited:

henrietta

As it turns out it does not work. The footings of the nautilus hang over the side of the seat, just a teeny bit but it's enough that it makes it not do-able. Darn it.

I know you probably don't really want to buy another seat...but if it's really necessary to do this, you could buy an Evenflo Maestro and try it. It's a bit more narrow, and should last as long as the Nautilus harnessed.

Also, if you don't need 3 across in the second row, you can remove the middle seat, slide over the passenger side one into the center (you can on all the Oddy's I've been in so far, from different years, so hopefully the '11 is the same???), and then have a bit of an "aisle" to access the third row. If you used the lower anchors to install that middle seat, the seatbelt will be out of the way for others to get into the back.

hths

henrietta

Sarabela

We just got the 2011 Odyssey with 8 seats. We have 4 kids (as of this April). I think it will work for you.

We have a Britax Advocate behind the passenger front seat, and a Britax Chaperone in the middle seat, right next to the Advocate. There IS wide-mode, so the seats could be spread out more and fit with even more room. But, then the kid next to the door is really close to the door (and in a crash that's probably not as safe, technically). The handle of my infant seat brushes against the Advocate only because this new Advocate has HUGE side protection (which I like). If I used wide-mode I'd have no touching of the seats. Both are pretty big seats, too.

My 3 and 4-year-old sit in the third row, one on each side. Radian XT. This leaves me JUST the chair behind the driver's seat to move each time I go back there to buckle them in/out. It is not hard, and I am 7 months pregnant.

It's a good van!
DID YOU TRY WIDE MODE? THE SEATS MOVE APART TO SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM. You have to ask the dealer how to do this; it's easy if you know how, but not if you don't. If they really don't fit, then try two Radian XT's. They are very narrow, meant to fit 3 across in most cars. And perfect for your ages of kids. They last until the kids are OLD.

The problem is that the Nautilus footings do not sit on the seat but rather hang over the edge of the seat of the car (this only happens in the center middle seat because that seat is more narrow than the others). They have to be on the seat. I have them in wide mode but that isn't the issue unfortunately.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC