Graco My Ride confusion and Evenflo questions

Hazelandlucy

So this was supposed to be my easy carseat decision. Need a spare seat for flying/driving in the UK/Grandmother's car. I need a safe, light, narrow and comfortable seat because she will be on a plane for 8-9 hrs (we go to England about 4x/yr) and has to survive driving with my MIL, (who has lost her license in the past for speeding multiple times) in a car with no side airbags!

I think I am going with the Evenflo Sureride - what is the difference between the LX and DLX models?

Graco My Ride - soooo confused between the 65 and the 70 (difference is weight only?) and which ones have "safety surround." It seems like only certain colors do, like the Capri? Is this a good seat to fly with?

Which is easier for the last need of the seat - my mother in the US - to harness and buckle correctly?

Which is better padded?

I want her to RF to 4. She is 35% height (but torso seems long) and 65% weight at 22 months (32.5 inches, 26 lbs).

I would just get a Britax BLVD and turn her FF at 3 or whenever she outgrows it for just my mom's car, but it's in the UK with my MIL that I especially want to RF. The Classic MA doesn't have side wings or enough SIP (in my mind) to make me feel good. I like bells and whistles!

ADS

linneabw

What about the graco headwise, I think it's pretty light and narrow (we have it) and resurfaces to 40 and has tallest rfing height and would def make it to 4 if your dd stays on same curve.

1mommy

The Sureride is light (9-10 lbs) and approved for airline, not the most narrow but not the most wide either. Has a 40" standing height limit for rear-facing though as opposed the gracos which just go by 1 inch. Don't know the difference between the LX and DLX. I would choose the Sureride over the Guide 65, the Sureride is currently on sale at diapers.com and kohls.com for around the same price but I don't need a pool noodle to install it rear-facing, the Guide 65 can be kind of a pain to install. Not to mention the Guide 65 is a fairly shallow seat, you many not feel it provides enough SIP for your peace for mind. The Sureride doesn't have all the bells and whistles though, but its a very nice seat for the price.

Hazelandlucy

MyRide is a huge beast... Traveling with one might be difficult. Sureride is a very tall seat and does not fit all cars RFing. Neither does Myride 65/70. Have you looked at Safety 1st My Guide 65 at walmart? Cheap ($78), rather compact, not too heavy, RFs till 40". http://www.walmart.com/ip/Safety-1st-Guide-65-Sport-Convertible-Car-Seat-Glam/26845788 •Airplane ready Since she is only 32" tall, it should serve you for quite some time.

I have never even heard of this seat! Does the cup holder come off? Might be obnoxious on the plane. Is the shell high enough to RF until 40"? My dd is short but all torso.

I guess the my ride is out!

I hope the CCO lasts longer than I hope, it's the easiest seat ever to travel with! However with new baby in January I don't think our next trip will be until next spring.

Will look into my size ...thought that was huge and heavy too?

Is the sureride really difficult? It seems to be everything I want

U

Unregistered

I actually have the MyRide 65 DLX and the Evenflo SureRide. The difference between the two seats is a) the MyRide is a HEAVY and wide seat. I like it's support wings and padding but my son actually hates it because it is shallow and he can't see around the wings well. FYI difference between LX and DLX is thickness of padding (DLX has the most).

The SureRide is our secondary seat, we got it because it was on sale for $70 at Kohl's and can RF for a long time. I loathe this seat, the padding is sparse and no matter how hard I try clicking the buckle into the crotch is a pain! Maybe mine is defective, but I won't put my son in it, I make the hubby do it since it's his car. It is very tall (hence ability to RF for a long time) and it only fits RF'ing in my Journey when I move my seat up a few notches to accommodate. It fits easily in Hubby's F150 but he has the full double cab. Even then, many people have commented on how big it is. It is lightweight however.

Overall, they both have great RF'ing abilities for long term use, but I definitely would not travel with the MyRide it is a beast. The Diono Radian had great safety reviews and is light and compact for travel. I found it on sale at Albeebaby.com this week! It does have sparse padding though. Worth a look. I really like the Safety 1st onSide Air Convertible Car Seat as well, much lighter and easier to travel with, nice wings and padding. Can RF until 40lbs, and at $70 it's a deal!

Good Luck!

Itchy&Scratchy

the Radian is very heavy, but it does fold flat for travel. But I would not want to travel with it (although others do and love it). I got the Radian RXT to ERF my child, but geez - even carrying from the house to the car in the driveway makes me tired. It's steel reinforced - hence, the weight.
Radian 120 and RXT are well padded, but R100 is not.

Hazelandlucy

So I tried the Evenflo and the crotch buckle really dug into her thighs (as did the neck harness). Is that a known problem? It seems awfully short. Would I be able to put thin harness covers if I made sure the harness was tight beforehand?

Love how light and it seems comfortable and padded.

Does the Guide 65 get most kids to 3-4 rear facing?

1mommy

I've heard that for the sure ride display models the harness is not as long as on the actual seat, which might be the problem. I think the guide 65 is also recommended as a convertible that will get you to booster age. My son is 18 months and has lots of room to grow, but I can't give you any specifics, sorry, tomorrow I might be able to measure if you want, but he recently got car suck so the seat is dissembled while the seat cushion is hanging up to dry.

Hazelandlucy

I've heard that for the sure ride display models the harness is not as long as on the actual seat, which might be the problem. I think the guide 65 is also recommended as a convertible that will get you to booster age. My son is 18 months and has lots of room to grow, but I can't give you any specifics, sorry, tomorrow I might be able to measure if you want, but he recently got car suck so the seat is dissembled while the seat cushion is hanging up to dry.

I tried the Guide 65 today and loved how compact it is! Reminded me of my beloved Coccoro. I think it would be great to fly with and easier to RF on a plane than the Sureride. Do you find the sticker on the head wing is bothersome? I have no idea why they stuck it there!

How many inches is your son?

Thank you!

kaharris83

I tried the Guide 65 today and loved how compact it is! Reminded me of my beloved Coccoro. I think it would be great to fly with and easier to RF on a plane than the Sureride. Do you find the sticker on the head wing is bothersome? I have no idea why they stuck it there!

Thank you!

My small at the time DS1 outgrew the CCO and Guide65 at the same time rear facing when he was 25 months. He was 34" which put him in the 35%. Our only lightweight option at the point was the Sureride if we wanted to RF him.

The Sureride is great for plane travel. The harness doesn't dig into my DS1s neck or thighs. Not sure if it is an issue with the floor model like a PP mentioned.

1mommy

Thank you!

You mean that stupid sewn on label not to put the seat rear facing in front of an airbag? I hate it solely from the visual standpoint (i think its ugly) but once hes in it its not so bad. I have debated about carefully taking a seam ripper to it but don't want to damage the seat. Also he gets head slump as the sides don't really support his head when he sleeps.

At his doc appt last week he was 32.5 inches- at his 15 month appointment they told me he was tall (like 69%) but skinny (3rd%) they didn't tell me what his groups were last time. He has just outgrown most 12 month onsies and now is into 18 months but still wears 12 months pants. To be honest the toddler sizes to vary so much I never found them to be an accurate judge of his size I have some 12 months that are the same size as 24 months, or 18 months. Anyways long story short, I will measure him in the seat tonight and let you know his height and take a picture.

Last edited:

Hazelandlucy

You mean that stupid sewn on label not to put the seat rear facing in front of an airbag? I hate it solely from the visual standpoint (i think its ugly) but once hes in it its not so bad. I have debated about carefully taking a seam ripper to it but don't want to damage the seat. Also he gets head slump as the sides don't really support his head when he sleeps.

At his doc appt last week he was 32.5 inches- at his 15 month appointment they told me he was tall (like 69%) but skinny (3rd%) they didn't tell me what his groups were last time. He has just outgrown most 12 month onsies and now is into 18 months but still wears 12 months pants. To be honest the toddler sizes to vary so much I never found them to be an accurate judge of his size I have some 12 months that are the same size as 24 months, or 18 months. Anyways long story short, I will measure him in the seat tonight and let you know his height and take a picture.

Thanks so much! I love the seat but am nervous she is going to outgrow it too fast and then I will have to be all over this forum again in 6 months! Trying to knock out all my new carseat buying now, lol.

1mommy

I wouldn't worry about it being outgrown too soon it has 17-17.5 in. top harness slots no restrictions on what harness slots you can use rf except that the child has to be 40 inches or less and their head cant be above the top of the headrest. It looks compact but the headrest goes up pretty far which extends the seat length. Apparently the way the headrest is designed in how it pushes the childs head forward can bother some children, especially forward facing so keep that in mind, but it doesn't bother my son at all, in general he's easygoing and doesn't complain about much unless mommy is ignoring him *sigh* And I will take picts tonight or tomorrow, no problem :)

Here is a link to the manual if you want to check it out.

http://safety1st.djgusa.com/product_instructions/en/4358-5721 Guide 65.pdf

Hazelandlucy

Oh that's great!! I was assuming the inch rule from top of shell...head top of headrest will give a good amount of room. I don't worry about the 40" rule, just a tall shell/headrest, because she is short but her torso is relatively long.

I couldn't buckle her in at Walmart because they had the harness clipped to the shelf and I couldn't loosen it. Is the crotch buckle long enough to not dig into her thighs?

I think my Mom will love this seat because it's not hugely tall and overwhelming and it's nicely padded for flying overseas.

Is your son's head actually pushed forward or does that only happen with some kids?

Thanks so much for all your help!

Hazelandlucy

What about the graco headwise, I think it's pretty light and narrow (we have it) and resurfaces to 40 and has tallest rfing height and would def make it to 4 if your dd stays on same curve.

I think it's 20 lbs or so. Maybe it doesn't matter if we just bungee it to the stroller through the airport. It's 3 inches narrower than the Advocate so definitely an improvement!

Will take a look at it! Head Wise is the one with the safety surround, right?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC