Got a ticket...

Cherbear013

Was pulled over for speeding, which was questionable anyway. Cop saw that my son (2.5) had his arms out of the seat belt. He has done this for months now and we always get on him and make him put his arms back in. I had stopped and then the cop asked me to pull up further before he walked up to my car. I am so livid as the ticket says I failed to restrain the child properly. I've spent hours researching the best car seat and just got him a new one about a month ago. On his last seat he was able to pull the chest clip down and slide his arms out too. I've researched and asked questions on forums but there is no solution to this problem. This is going to cost me lots of money as I had a mandatory court date and I'll have to go to some class which is difficult because we own our own business and I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 7 month old. Is there anything I can say, do or prove for my court date?

ADS

Cherbear013

Recaro Performance Sport. He previously had the Recaro ProRide and I briefly tried the Radian RXT. He can move his arms on them all even when pulled tight.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Get a lightweight button-up shirt. Put it on the child over his regular clothes with the front unbuttoned. Sit the child in the carseat with the shirt opened and pulled to the sides. Buckle the harness and chest clip over his regular clothes but not the extra shirt. Button the extra shirt OVER the harness.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Yes, it is safe and legal. Use the thinnest shirt you can find and try to make sure it isn't bunched up, but carseats are meant to be used by clothed children ;) so it should be fine.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC