GN install in 2000 chevy blazer

D&L's-mommy

our car is in the garage (and gonna be for at least a week). My father in law is generously letting us borrow his 2000 Chevy Blazer. My question is how do I install my DD's Graco Nautilus (she uses the harness)? I imagine it doesn't have LATCH, so I'll do a belt install, but does it have top tethers? If not is it ok to install without the top tether? She will be outboard since I have a DS in a HBB. She's about 42-45lbs dressed. thanks!

ADS

D&L's-mommy

my FIL brought the Blazer over, no top tethers. I was able to get a good belt install (it's not rock solid how I like it, but there's barely any wiggle). I just don't know what to do about no top tethers. Do we have to use it at her current weight? Is it safer just to switch her to booster mode while we have the blazer?

Baylor

D&L's-mommy said:
my FIL brought the Blazer over, no top tethers. I was able to get a good belt install (it's not rock solid how I like it, but there's barely any wiggle). I just don't know what to do about no top tethers. Do we have to use it at her current weight? Is it safer just to switch her to booster mode while we have the blazer?

The gn does well without top tether.

auto correct hates me

Jessica61624

Baylor said:
The gn does well without top tether.

auto correct hates me

This is a pet peeve of mine. Has anyone actually seen the numbers? All seats pass without the TT.

Did you check out the manual? 2000 should have tt. Sometimes they're in the cargo area. Hopeful someone with a latch manual.

Baylor

Jessica61624 said:
This is a pet peeve of mine. Has anyone actually seen the numbers? All seats pass without the TT.

Did you check out the manual? 2000 should have tt. Sometimes they're in the cargo area. Hopeful someone with a latch manual.

I haven't But I do trust the techs that have claimed that the GN is one that dies well without tt.

As for tether anchor, dh has a 2000 explorer that allows cargo tie downs to be used for TA. I would Check manual.

auto correct hates me

kalamos23

Yeah, check the manual, our 99 Tahoe allows th use of the cargo tie downs by the back door as tether anchors. The Blazer is a Chevy so I am guessing they might as well.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
According to the LATCH Manual there are no TAs in a 2000 Blazer and nothing mentioned about using the cargo tie downs. If he has the vehicle owners manual you can check to see if there is anything in there about tethering child restraints.

If not, it's probably not worth retrofitting them unless you think there's a chance your vehicle might be in the shop for a while or you're going to use this vehicle more often in the future.

Unless someone has access to crash test data comparing different carseats in a 2000 Blazer, we cannot say that Nautilus is fine without a tether nor can we say that it's better than another seat in that vehicle.

But you've got a nice tight install (which is great) and you're making the best of what you have to work with, so don't worry about it! :)

Does that vehicle have seatbelts with switchable retractors? (seatbelts that lock by pulling the shoulder belt all the way out)

kalamos23

Ok, just googled 2000 chevrolet blazer owners manual and the first link is to a pdf of the manual. On page 1-47, it shows you can use the cargo tie downs CLOSEST to the back seat as the anchors for the outside seats. I would link but I am on my phone, hope that works!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

D&L's-mommy

thanks everyone. He doesn't have the owner's manual in the vehicle. It does have the seatbelts that lock when you pull them all the way out, I did lock them, and was able to squeeze a few more clicks out of by really pushing hard on the CR. I thought the cargo hook looked like it might be able to be used as a TR cuz of the way it's secured to the vehicle, but wanted to be sure.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC