Giant Baby, Tiny Car. Help, Please!

Miyelani

My 4 mos old is 20 lbs and 28" tall. In 2", he will be out of the 30 lb infant seat I bought. Guess I could have just gone with the 22 lb one! :) He is already on the largest setting for torso.

I have a 2007 Prius. My daughter is in a Radian behind the driver and our KeyFit is in the middle. I am reading conflicting things about the Radian working or not for the Prius on the forums. And would my son be too young for an angle adjuster, if the seat touches the front seats? I would love to keep him in the middle and still be able to fit my husband next to them (passenger side) for long trips.Would a Radian for him make sense? Would it block my vision?

I have an older Boulevard that still has 1 1/2 years left on the foam, but I doubt it will fit next to the Radian.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ADS

Miyelani

Oh and I forgot to mention, my daughter is 5 and forward facing in her Radian.

I expect my son will be very tall, like his sister.

turtlemama

I'm not familiar with Radians in Prius' but I do know that the angle adjuster cannot be used with children under 1 year old.
Hopefully someone else will chime in for the rest.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
There are some variations in the back seats of different model years of Prius. What I would do is just go out and try your Radian rear-facing in the center and see if you can get it to fit without the angle adjuster. Then go from there depending on what you find out. If you can get a RF Radian in the center then you should also be able to get a FF Radian outboard next to it and you're golden.

jjordan

Since you already have a radian, I would just try it in the center and see if you think it will work out. You could also try using it outboard behind the passenger and putting the FF radian in the center. Really the concern with two radians would be limited to the front-back space that the RF radian takes up. I am 95% sure that the width of the radians would be fine with one FF and one RF.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
The new adjuster can be use when the child has good head control. The age was required by the lawyers. Wendy has posted more info in some of her posts. I would try the Radian RF. See if it works.

henrietta

My 4 mos old is 20 lbs and 28" tall. In 2", he will be out of the 30 lb infant seat I bought. Guess I could have just gone with the 22 lb one! :) He is already on the largest setting for torso.

I have a 2007 Prius. My daughter is in a Radian behind the driver and our KeyFit is in the middle. I am reading conflicting things about the Radian working or not for the Prius on the forums. And would my son be too young for an angle adjuster, if the seat touches the front seats? I would love to keep him in the middle and still be able to fit my husband next to them (passenger side) for long trips.Would a Radian for him make sense? Would it block my vision?

I have an older Boulevard that still has 1 1/2 years left on the foam, but I doubt it will fit next to the Radian.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

First, what do you mean by the Blvd has 1.5 yrs left on the foam? What about the rest of the seat? The expiration date applies to the *whole seat*. (and for the older Britax, the expiration is 6 yrs from date of manufacture)

I would probably put your ds in the Blvd when he outgrows the infant seat (put dd1 in the center in her Radian, and put ds on whichever outboard side works for you...if that doesn't work, just try other combos until you get one that works well for you). I'd leave dd1 in her Radian for now. Whenever the Blvd expires or he outgrows it rearfacing, I'd give him the Radian and look into other seats for her (could booster her then--she'd be 6 or older or a combo seat like the Evenflo Secure Kid 300/400, Graco Nautilus, Recaro Prosport, or Britax Frontier--I'd probably do the Nautilus or Frontier since they last so long and would be handed down to ds).

As for your vision and your tall hubby, putting a rearfacing seat in the center of the back seat does help w/those, but if you can see okay and hubby is sitting safely, I would consider putting dd in the center b/c rearfacing is significantly safer than forward facing, plus it's easier to hand her things to help w/baby that way. Otherwise, go ahead and put him in the middle and her outboard.
hths

henrietta

Kaitsmom

How much hard shell is still over his head in the infant seat. The iverall height limit is a suggestion of what size kids fit, its not a written in stone rule like the weight. Are the straps coming from below his shoulders or above?

kam1011

The Diono rep (Allana Pinkerton) has stated publicly that the one year was a very conservative gesture by an engineer, and she has said that were she wording it, it would be acceptable basically for a child who can withstand the angle which it achieves. So as long as the five month old baby is ok with the angle, it's golden. That's very car dependent, though.

Wendy

Wendy's previously mentioned post about angle adjuster...

KaiLing

With the angle adjuster the Radian worked great in my mom's 2010 Prius. I put it in the middle and outboard behind the passenger. It might have impacted my vision a tad, but not enough to write home about (though that's not a car I'm used to and I'm used to having to look around a 6'9" husband in the back seat since he doesn't fit in the front).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC