German law

LuBaby16

I have a friend moving to Germany with an infant (maybe 7 months?). As she is moving there on military orders, she was given the German car seat law, however if was very brief and not very easy to understand. The baby is currently using a Keyfit 30 and they have ordered a Radian RXT for when she outgrows it. Will the Radian be sufficient for German car seat laws? Also, does anyone know the current laws in Germany for how long they must rear-face? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!:)

ADS

mykidsmylife

If she is military then she is allowed to use her US seats there, no problem. She should still rear-face as long as possible.

The EU law is they can forward face at 9m and 10kilo (about 20lbs). They stay in a booster until age 12.

LuBaby16

If she is military then she is allowed to use her US seats there, no problem. She should still rear-face as long as possible.

The EU law is they can forward face at 9m and 10kilo (about 20lbs). They stay in a booster until age 12.

Her husband is active duty. Will the same rules be applied for any travel they do while they are in Europe?

newyorkDOC

Europe Directive 2003/20/EC of the European Parliament and the Council[28] has mandated the use of child-restraint systems in vehicles effective May 5, 2006. Children less than 150 centimetres (59 in)[citation needed] tall in vehicles fitted with safety systems must be restrained by a child restraint system suitable for the child's mass, up to 36 kg (79 lb). In practice, child restraint systems must be able to be fitted to the front, or other rows of seats. Children may not be transported using a rearward-facing child restraint system in a passenger seat protected by a front air bag, unless the air bag has been deactivated.[citation needed] Where a child restraint system is used, it must be approved by the standards of UN-ECE Regulation 44/04, Directive 77/541/EEC or any other subsequent adaptation thereto. However, until May 9, 2008 member states may have permited the use of child restraint systems approved in accordance with their national standards. EuroNCAP has developed a child-safety-protection rating to encourage improved designs. Points are awarded for universal child-restraint anchorages ISOFIX, the quality of warning labels and deactivation systems for front-passenger airbags.
Thats from wikipedia as the actual directive is 120 pages long...

She can use her American seats across Europe though.

Are they shipping their car? While not an issue now, many EU cars do not have top tethers so she may not be able to use a seat that requires one. Also she should practice with a locking clip as many EU cars do not have ARL.

LuBaby16

Are they shipping their car? While not an issue now, many EU cars do not have top tethers so she may not be able to use a seat that requires one. Also she should practice with a locking clip as many EU cars do not have ARL.

Thank you! Although I haven't spoken about what they are doing with their cars, I automatically assumed they would be (the military pays for one vehicle to be shipped). I will mention that to her though. Thank you!:)

LuBaby16

She returned her Radian. Now she could use some help finding a seat that can be used more universally. Is there a seat that you would recommend that fits well in a wide range of vehicles (both American and European)? Her daughter is 8 months right now. 17 lbs, 28" tall, wears 9 months clothes. She paid $240 for her Radian so her price point would be somewhere at or below that.

newyorkDOC

Why did she return the radian?

See the thing is that seats in Europe are VERY expensive when compared to the price of American seats. I'd day the average seat is around 200 euros and only RF to 13 kg. Swedish seats are slightly more expensive (starting around 250) but RF to 55 lbs. check out carseat.se which is owned by adventuredad.

jasminegrl

I would have kept the radian, she also needs to know that there will be very limited options on base there and most car-seats are too large to be shipped APO/FPO.

LuBaby16

I would have kept the radian, she also needs to know that there will be very limited options on base there and most car-seats are too large to be shipped APO/FPO.

She is still in the US so she is able to buy anything American at this point. She needs something that is user friendly, fits in a broad range of cars.

mykidsmylife

The Radian fit well in many of the German cars I put it in. Another great choice would be the Classic Britax Marathon from Target. It has the base which makes it fit easier in small cars and it has the built in lock offs which are great for German cars where the belts do not lock.

LuBaby16

The Radian fit well in many of the German cars I put it in. Another great choice would be the Classic Britax Marathon from Target. It has the base which makes it fit easier in small cars and it has the built in lock offs which are great for German cars where the belts do not lock.

Great! Thank you! I'll suggest the Classic Marathon ;)

Adventuredad

If you decide to use a European seat then Britax Hi-Way or Britax Max-Way will likely be great choices. Both seats are compact, light weight, have a 25 kg rear facing weight limit and will fit well in pretty much any car. These are the two best all-round seats available and are often far more compact than Radian. This might not be an issue depending on car used.

HW will last to around age 4 or 110 cm and MW to age 5 or roughly 115-120 cm of height thanks to a built in head support. Both seats have also passed the ultra strict Swedish Plus Test up to 55 lbs which only three seats in the world have done. Many seats are torn in pieces when trying to go through the Plus Test which is quite abusive.

The seats will fit fine in a large variety of cars, both in back and front seat (airbag deactivated).

LuBaby16

If you decide to use a European seat then Britax Hi-Way or Britax Max-Way will likely be great choices. Both seats are compact, light weight, have a 25 kg rear facing weight limit and will fit well in pretty much any car. These are the two best all-round seats available and are often far more compact than Radian. This might not be an issue depending on car used.

HW will last to around age 4 or 110 cm and MW to age 5 or roughly 115-120 cm of height thanks to a built in head support. Both seats have also passed the ultra strict Swedish Plus Test up to 55 lbs which only three seats in the world have done. Many seats are torn in pieces when trying to go through the Plus Test which is quite abusive.

The seats will fit fine in a large variety of cars, both in back and front seat (airbag deactivated).

Oh! Thank you! I will suggest those as well. Would she be able to buy either of those seats in the US? Thank you for your help! :)

LuBaby16

They have now decided that they won't be taking any of their American cars with them and will get a vehicle there. By any chance, do you know of some seat options that don't require the top tether? Any Britax options? I know she is considering Britax.

newyorkDOC

I'm not that familiar with American seats as I live in Europe but I'm sure a US tech can respond.
I can tell you that European toyotas have TT anchors though :)

creideamh

No American seats *require* a top tether (exception being the Safety 1st Go Hybrid, since it has a flexible back... the tether holds it up.) Our seats must pass testing without being top-tethered, but it's strongly recommended to reduce head excursion when forward-facing.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd say even a G3 Britax (Marathon, Boulevard, Roundabout 55) would also fit, it's shorter front-to-back when rearfacing than the Classic, has built in Lockoffs, super easy to use LATCH, I know it fits in small bucket-seaty cars like the Mini Cooper. The Marathon is really easy to adjust the height and has less-bulky HUGS than the Boulevard. The SafeCell Technology in the base allows the seats to meet the stricter head-excursion requirements even without a top tether.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC