FYI-Older Roundabouts

mamamia

From www.britaxusa.com under "customer support" then FAQ's" then "Roundabout"

Q. What is the weight capacity for the Roundabout child restraint?
A. Refer to the owner's manual and labels located on the child restraint. Current production is certified up to 33 lbs. rear facing and 40 lbs. forward facing. Older restraints were certified up to 30 lbs. rear facing and 40 lbs. forward facing.
Q. Previously I was advised I could use my older Roundabout rear facing up to 33 lbs. and no standing height requirement. Why is Britax now saying I cannot?
A. Britax continuously tests and reviews products, as well as our frequently asked questions. Based on continuous improvement reviews, Britax Child Safety has determined rear facing weight capacity and height limitations should be followed as recommended per the manual supplied and labels affixed to the individual restraint. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Isn't that a shame? So many of those 30pound/30inch seats still floating around :( We can hope they'll go back to their more lenient (and MUCH safer, 33 pound, no standing height limit for RF)recommendations, I guess.

mamamia

I know-I am not terribly concerned about the height thing. My kids were 30 inches before a year, and well under 20 lbs, and there's not a way on earth they would have gone FF at that weight! :)

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yeah, I just looked back through my records and dd was 30" at her 12 month checkup. Granted, she was 24 lbs., so I could have turned her then, but I didn't. She's now 34.5" and nearing the top of the seat--probably has another 2 months left in it rf.

I gotta say that since Tom Baloga left Britax, they have flip-flopped and flop-flipped on so many instruction manuals and guidelines that I don't know what to believe any more. Really makes you wonder what's going on there . . .

mamamia

The new statement makes you wonder, did they test the old seats before changing the weight limit to 33 lbs or did they just assume that they made no significant design changes that the old ones would be good to the same weight as the new ones?

I think I will be just turning the one in DH's car FF since she is 2 years, 26 lbs and 35 inches. Her head is almost to the top anyway.

groovymom2000

I just re-read my 2000 RA manual, and I can't find

a height limit anywhere in there. I know I must be missing it--the only things that I see are the weight limits: 5-30 rf, and 20-40 ff. The only other thing that I see in regards to height is the section demonstrating where the shoulder straps should be. Of course, it's not really an issue right now, and most likely won't be, since I'll most likely move Ian to a MA in a few years....just wondering for my own curiosity....:D

Beth~mom to Elliot (12/05/00) and Ian (5/13/04)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Boy, all those manuals are different, lol.
Mamamia, you are busy now (with your new baby, hope you are getting some sleep!), but I missed your comment...you know, all seats that RF to 30 pounds had to pass testing with the 38 inch, 33 pound standard 3yo dummy, most likely they said 30 pounds at first just to give that extra margin of error (I think? Sounds good? who weighs their kids as much as we do and knows precisiely when they are 33 pounds? lol)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC