FYI: 3 across in 2005 Subaru Outback

U

Unregistered

I don't know where the appropriate place is for this information, so please move it if necessary. I just wanted to report that we were able to successfully install three across in our Outback this past weekend. It wasn't easy, but we did:

Chicco Keyfit behind driver (on base)
FF Radian 65 middle
RF Complete Air behind passenger

The trickiest part was getting enough space for the Keyfit base next to the Radian so that the seat could be easily clicked in and out.

We don't need this set-up until February which is when #3 is due, but we were trying things out early enough so that if it didn't work, we'd have time to look into buying another vehicle. Hope this can help someone in the future!

ADS

shashoo

Can you put the driver's seat most of the way back? Does the keyfit base sit level? I know my seats angle up on the side so I am concerned we will have tipping when we need a similar set up. I would love to see pics if it is all still installed!

U

Unregistered

This is the original poster. The driver's seat is not all the way back, but it's probably most of the way back. Very usable still. The passenger's seat is definitely up further.

The seats angle up on the side, but for the most part the base is level. If the sides of the seats weren't angled so much, it would have been easier, for sure. It is a very tight fit to get all three in there. The back of the seat also angles forward on the sides, which was actually the bigger problem with getting the base in there. It does have to dig into the part that angles forward a bit in order to fit. We did it with the latch and it seemed solid, but it's possible that using seatbelt would be better/easier.

We actually took apart the 3 across installation because baby #3 isn't due until February, but I can try to remember to take a picture in Jan/Feb when we put the seats in there again. I'm sorry - I should have thought to take a picture! It took us about 1.5 hours to get those three seats in well. I don't know if that is normal or not for 3-across installs, but it was a lot of work.

shashoo

Thanks so much for replying! I have done three across in my car (same year and everything as yours) with a baseless infant seat ff radian and ff old style Blvd and that was a pain! I later switched the infant seat out with a scenera. However that was back when I nannied, now that we are TTC our own children I was starting to worry about fitting two seats side by side. I have a rf radian in there now, but need to turn it ff soon and would like to keep it in the middle whenever we do have a baby. Anyway I was thinking the Keyfit or Aton so your post was super helpful! Thanks again and I would love to see a pic whenever you get it set up again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC