Foster mom needs help!

poolejorda

First of all, this site has been extremely helpful over the last few years. I am a full time labor and delivery nurse and see many many infants leave the hospital unsafely. I have learned so much here and have been able to teach new parents how to keep their newborns safe. So, thanks!

Anyway, I am a newly minted foster mom to children ages 0-12 months and I need a car seat that will fit that age range. I drive a 2011 Hyundai Elantra. I need something with a short base (like the B-Safe) because the opening of my door isn't tall enough to lift a seat over a tall-sided base. I can't find pictures of older babies in the B-safe to know for sure if it would last the full first year. Can you recommend another seat? I am not a fan of the keyfit, but that is the only seat I have a strong aversion to.

Also, I babysit a 4 year old who rides in a Cybex Pallas in my car. I brought the Pallas back from Europe (after learning about it on here). He rides on the driver's side if that matters.

ADS

mominabigtruck

A tall sided base? I have to admit that I'm a bit stumped by this.

I've had an elantra and it's a very nice mid-sized sedan. I have a hard time picturing a seat not fitting. I would look at a graco snugride 30/35. I had the original safeseat when I had my elantra and it's basically the same seat as the snugride.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Another seat I would suggest you look at would be the Onboard Air. It will fit the vast majority of babies 0-12 months. It will fit a 4 lb preemie/lbw baby and an average-sized toddler until somewhere between 18 and 24 months of age. It has a 35 lb weight limit which is great for chunky babies, and realistically it is tall enough to fit an average-proportioned kid until about 25 lbs or so.

I used one in the center position in my Honda Civic and it's not a tall car either. I've successfully installed it in a number of compact to mid-sized sedans.

I would suggest you also consider picking up something like a Cosco Apt to store in the closet/garage/somewhere-safe just in case you happen to be entrusted with an unusually large baby that's too big for any infant seat.

poolejorda

Thank you, I will go to BRU and try the safeseat 35 in my car. I looked at the onboard air, but I didn't like how the sunshade flopped around underneath the seat while carrying it. I tried the Via in my car, and it fit securely. I like the tall shell it offers, but what about legroom in that seat? I would love to see pictures of an older baby in both the Via and the B-safe. Has anyone tried the orbit infant seat? Thoughts regarding use with an older baby?

poolejorda

Also, how can I find a car seat tech near me to check my installation? I am located near Richmond Virginia.

Oh, and I like the look of the combi shuttle, and the fact that it has the tallest shell of any infant seat I've found. BUT, it has the shortest seat depth? How can that work? What about legroom? That would be my go-to seat if I could figure out what an older child would do with his legs. Does anyone have a picture showing more than just head room?

Last edited:

Syllieann

Thank you, I will go to BRU and try the safeseat 35 in my car. I looked at the onboard air, but I didn't like how the sunshade flopped around underneath the seat while carrying it. I tried the Via in my car, and it fit securely. I like the tall shell it offers, but what about legroom in that seat? I would love to see pictures of an older baby in both the Via and the B-safe. Has anyone tried the orbit infant seat? Thoughts regarding use with an older baby?

The via would be great for its high limits and small footprint but I think I've read that it doesn't fit preemies?? Not sure if that would be a problem for fostering or not? DD outgrew the b-safe right about 12 months old and 31". Hmm, she is sleeping now but if nobody posts pics before tomorrow, I'll try to get one in the morning-she's 32" now. I think it's nice but I'd probably go for the onboard 35 because of the higher limits. The non-air version of the onboard 35 is less expensive and still lined with energy absorbing foam. You can also get it in the 4# min with the premium base that includes lock offs.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
We are fostering too and I really like the Cybex Aton. It's nice and lightweight.

I would also have a convertible on hand; something that adjusts easily would be a plus. We had an Evenflo Triumph Advance when we first started fostering 4 years ago, and it was great. Now there are many more options.

poolejorda

The Aton could match the Pallas, but I worry it's too small. Thank you for your help! Does anyone have experience with the legroom issue in the shuttle? I think it could be a great choice.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I don't know the answer to how much leg room the Shuttle has, but leg room is not a safety concern. For most kids it's not a comfort issue either; most children are content to bend their legs.

Syllieann

Here's dd in the b-safe. She's 25# and 32" and wearing a cloth diaper. I was pleasantly surprised that she still fit. She wears 18 month tops and bottoms. The board book is 1".

Last edited:

cupcakepirate11

I really liked the b safe I used it for a bit with the 8 month old baby I watch she was on the second to last harness height with tons of room, my son who is 23 months old 36" and 32lbs was even with the top of the shell.

What about a radian?

ForumRunner_20120412_090911.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC