Question forward facing child car seat for tetherless Audi A5 Cabriolet?

esrever

We just bought a 2013 Audi A5 Cabriolet (convertible). Our Britax Marathon and Blvd don't sit as solidly in the back seat as I'd like, a combination of there being no tether anchor and the car seat being a bit tall for the seat and not fitting well.

Any suggestions for other forward-facing car seats to consider? I'm also open to 5-pt harness boosters -- I'm using this on a 46-pound 48-inch boy. (I know I can go with some seat belt boosters, I just prefer the added safety of the 5-pt harness.) Any and all suggestions very welcome.

ADS

nannykates

I have zero experience with your vehicle but here are some combination (harness to booster) seats that may work. Hopefully them not being on as much of a base will make them more stable. Evenflo securekid, graco nautilus, britax frontier. The evenflo sureride doesn't turn into a booster but has high top slots.

esrever

I have zero experience with your vehicle but here are some combination (harness to booster) seats that may work. Hopefully them not being on as much of a base will make them more stable. Evenflo securekid, graco nautilus, britax frontier. The evenflo sureride doesn't turn into a booster but has high top slots.
There's also an issue of hitting the headrest -- the Boulevard's adjustable headrest is set forward from the back a bit making it hit the headrest a bit lower than is the case on the Marathon (although both hit the headrest and contribute to my unhappiness with the fit). Do you know if any of the ones you mention hit the headrest lower than others?

In thinking some more, I think what I'm asking for are models of car seats (convertible or combination) that (1) fit well in cars with small back seats (particularly if the headrest is low), (2) stay solid without a tether, and (3) will let me keep my kid in a 5-point harness as long as possible.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
At seven unless he doesn't fit properly a booster would be fine for him. There are no studies showing a harness is better. Or that a booster is better. So if that is easier at this point, and he's above 30 pounds if you're in the US, then I'd just do that. Otherwise an untethered harnessed seat is the same as a booster, so I wouldn't worry as much again.

Are the headrests removable?

Is this the primary car?

Wendy

MommyShannon

Are his shoulders below the top harness slot in his current seats? My DD was about 48" when she outgrew seats with 18" top slots and your seats are a little shorter. She started riding in boosters intermittently at 6 and full time at 7. If you'd really rather a harness, the Britax Frontier is the tallest available. The Frontier 85 can be a bit tricky to install at first, but there are videos we can link to help. The FR90 is brand new with an amazing install. I don't know how they'd fit in your car, but they aren't up on a base like your current seats.

esrever

Wendy: very helpful to hear that there's no data for my mistaken impression that Boulevard type seats are safer, thank!

Headrests not removable. This is my wife's car, and we 're pretty much 50-50 on which we use so you might as well consider it primary.

esrever

MommyShannon: if I'm understanding you right, I think you got my question in reverse - I'm looking for a seat that's short, and it sounds like the Frontier is tall?

MommyShannon

MommyShannon: if I'm understanding you right, I think you got my question in reverse - I'm looking for a seat that's short, and it sounds like the Frontier is tall?

The Frontier doesn't sit up on a base like the convertibles though so it might be a better fit. At 48" he may be close to outgrowing all other harnessed seats. It is a tall seat to accommodate taller heights. Its not overly tall with the headrest in lower positions. I haven't measured, but I think the Frontier set to a 17" harness height would be shorter than the convertible at 17". I will try to compare when I move seats tomorrow.

U

Unregistered

Esrever: I also just got a 2013 A5 cabriolet and need to put a forward facing car seat for our 2 year old. Did you ever find a good car seat and if so can you recommend what fit the best and most securely? Many thanks

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
A 2yo can be rear-facing, which is recommended in general and especially when there is no top tether. What seat do you have now?

U

Unregistered

I just bought DH a 2015 A5, it's the secondary car, however I go to hospital several times a week so it will be used frequently.
DD is 37.5inches and 32lbs and 3yrs old.

I'm hoping to get a 5point harness booster that sits in the rear bucket seat of the car ok.

No useful answers here yet, so maybe a bump will help that?

I do have a combi corroco which will fit fine, however she's near on outgrown the strap height for that.

I don't want to hear about RFing, this car is unsuitable for that beyond infant seat as there is not enough clearance between RF child restraint seat and front vehicle seat. (must be 4" min gap).

U

Unregistered

DH has an A5
DD is 5yr 40" 38lb
DS is 15wk, 17lbs & 28" - so I'm looking for a new RF to fit the A5(2016) for when he's no longer in the infant carrier.

Nuna Pipa, infant car seat with base (or without) is perfect, only need to fold the car seat handle down to fit it in upright.b
Nuna Pipa can be fitted by seatboelt, latch or BOTH at same time (uncommon).
We have matching stroller, but I believe maxi cosi works as well as uppa baby and other brands.

Clek (who happen to sponsor this site it seems) Fllo fits well for DD, although it is FFing and very upright, so no support if she doses off, due to angle of A5s rear seat.

I'm considering Fllo or Foonf for RFing DS in same car, but DD still needs 5point harness as she will fall asleep and slump without it.

Anyone ever find more options, or did you all sell your a5 or just go with an insecure option.

In EU you can go onto audi site to find compatible car seat - car model lists, usually provided by car manufacturer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC