Flexible recommendation for non car owner

mimi55

Hello Everyone,

It looks like this question hasn't been asked recently, so I'm hoping to get some up-to-date recommendations on specific car seat models.

I do not own a car and plan to mainly walk or take the subway with my baby.

I expect to use taxis infrequently but would want a seat that is easy to install without the base (using a seat belt?) for those occasions.

For traveling outside of the city, we would likely to rent a compact car, so I'm looking for a seat that could fit in a wide range of cars.

Since we will be using cars so infrequently (I'm estimating less than a dozen times a year), I'm not concerned with stroller/travel system compatibility.

I've heard that infant seats are the safest choice for young babies, but if there are convertible car seats you feel are viable options for infants, I would be interesting in hearing those recommendations.

Finally, I'm hoping to purchase a seat that is on the less toxic spectrum. However, I'm willing to compromise on this point since we'll use the seat so infrequently. Ease of installation and ability to work in a compact car are our main priorities.

Thanks for your help!

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Hi and welcome! :)

I'm not familiar with the current infant seats on the market, so I wanted to bump your thread. I know that a convertible seat called the Combi Coccoro is sometimes recommended for non car owners, because it has a unique seat belt path with a seat belt locking clip that could potentially make it easier to deal with for frequent installs, but it's a fairly short convertible, so it won't last as long as other options. :)

mimi55

Bree, thank you. I've seen the Coccoro mentioned on a couple NYC parent blogs.

Cnidaria, correct. Baby is due at the end of April. This is my first so I'm finding all of the research to be useful but also a little overwhelming :)

T4K

You said you would infrequently take taxis? In what types of situations? Would they involve much walking?

My all around favorite, simple, easy to install seat is the Britax Roundabout 55. It will fit an averaged sized newborn (and fit even better with the newborn wedge) and last a long time. It will install well in a variety of vehicles. The one HUGE downside for your situation is that it's not exactly portable. It's not huge but it's not super small either. If I wasn't doing a ton of walking when taking the taxis then it would be totally doable.

Cnidaria

I've heard that infant seats are the safest choice for young babies

As long as it fits the baby well and is properly installed and used, infant seats and convertibles are equally safe choices. (If one has a truly tiny (premature) baby, the only choices that fit acceptably might be infant seats, but we will certainly cross our fingers that that doesn't end up being the case for you!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC