Fit of Britax Parkway SGL booster in Ford Focus 2012

U

Unregistered

Hi, we just received the Britax Parkway SGL (removable back booster with LATCH) and very unhappy with how it's fitting in our Ford Focus 2012 hatchback. We have the LATCH strap tightened as far as it will go, and the base is still very movable. I'm told that booster bases are "always" loose, even the few that offer LATCH attachments. Is this true?

Also, we're unable to get the booster back to rest flat against the car seat, as recommended, because the headrest extends out. The rear headrest is not adjustable. We'd be willing to remove it entirely to get the back to lay flat, but not sure how.

I loved the rock-solid stability of our Britax convertible car seat. So the comparative extreme wiggly-ness of the booster makes me really uncomfortable.

I walked away from a high speed multiple rollover car accident years ago, and am here thanks to a seat belt. So, I am admittedly cautious/anxious/critical about the seats that hold our child. Maybe over-critical?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Steph in Chicago

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

With a booster the lower anchor attachments are just to keep the seat from becoming a projectile in a crash. Buckling the seatbelt over the child secures the child and booster to the vehicle. Look in your vehicle manual or do a search to find out if and how you can remove the headrest. You do want it to fit as the manual states. We will try to help you feel secure that you are doing the right thing!

aeormsby

I agree with the PP. It can be unnerving realizing that a HBB can truly move around in the vehicle when you're used to installing a harnessed seat that practically becomes part of the vehicle. Having the booster seat move with the child in an accident is a good thing though - it keeps the belt positioned as they move forward momentum and keeps the shell around the sides of their body. The Latch really is just to keep it from bonking you in the head when it's not in use.

Definitely look into how to remove the headrests from the vehicle. It is important to have the booster flat against the vehicle seat. In our Mazda3 (which I think is about the same size as the Focus, so it could have the same issue) I need to tip the seat forward (like partially fold it down) in order to get the headrest off. The prongs are so long that it hits the ceiling before it clears otherwise.

U

Unregistered

Many thanks for this feedback. You've helped put my mind at ease. We'll investigate removing that headrest -- it must be possible!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC