Question FF Radian 65sl in 09 GMC Envoy

U

Unregistered

Hello! I'm turning my 2 year old ff and am having a hard time getting the carseat to sit centered on the bench seat in my envoy. There is a top tether hook in the cargo area that I can get super tight and I'm using the seatbelt (shoulder) instead of LATCH. I feel like the carseat is sitting slightly crooked because of the stitching in the envoy's seat...not a great deal crooked, but slightly askew. Safe? Also, I'm wondering how much wiggle room there should be for the base of the seat...I'm having a hard time getting the seatbelt tightened as tight as I could with the latch in the rf position.

Thanks in advance!
Angela

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Welcome.

Is there a reason you're turning your two year old forward facing already? I'd leave them rear facing until the Radian is outgrown rear facing.

Were you using the LATCH in the center? That's not allowed in your car. If you want to install in the center, rear or forward facing, you need to use the seatbelt.

Rear or forward facing you want less than 1" of movement at the belt path. That's how you know it's secure.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thanks Wendy.

We had him rf on the passenger side with the LATCH. I know RF isn't possible in the center position in my car but ff is with the seatbelt. If I'm turning him ff I want him in the center not on the side. Guess I should have been prepared for the "keep him rf" suggestions, but we feel it's time to switch him.

I'll keep working on getting the seatbelt just that much tighter. Thanks for your input.

monstah

Unregistered said:
Hello! I'm turning my 2 year old ff and am having a hard time getting the carseat to sit centered on the bench seat in my envoy. There is a top tether hook in the cargo area that I can get super tight and I'm using the seatbelt (shoulder) instead of LATCH. I feel like the carseat is sitting slightly crooked because of the stitching in the envoy's seat...not a great deal crooked, but slightly askew. Safe? Also, I'm wondering how much wiggle room there should be for the base of the seat...I'm having a hard time getting the seatbelt tightened as tight as I could with the latch in the rf position.

Thanks in advance!
Angela

Are you tightening the seatbelt and checking for less than an inch of wiggle room before you attach the top tether? With the radian, I find pushing it straight down (put your hand where the butt goes and push straight down to the ground while tightening the belt) helpful. Also, check where the belt stalk is hitting the Radian in regards to the belt path. It may need to be twisted so the belt stalk isn't angling weird into the belt path or getting jammed up. Pictures would help.
If the seat is slightly crooked, it's not a safety issue.

That said, if you can keep him RFing, it's still much safer. You have a great seat that is designed for extended rear facing. Take advantage! :)

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Don't forget that if your child is under 40 lbs you need to install Safe Stop when you make the switch. It's there to help reduce the dangers associated with facing such a young child forward so young, and is very very important.

U

Unregistered

Gah...You're all making me want to put him back RF! LOL. I'll probably end up doing that - I know the seat will allow us to RF for quite a bit longer. He turned 2 in February and is only 28lbs. I love having him in the center position because it gives our passenger front seat more room and I can't RF him in the center. Oh well...I guess I'll put it back on the passenger side RF.

I read and reread the manual for my carseat and I still for the life of me cannot figure out what the Safe Stop belt is and where it goes. Can someone explain?

Thanks!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Why can you not rear face in the center? And rear facing on the side is far safer than forward in the middle. You won't get much encouragement to turn a brand new two year old who is 28 pounds forward. Why buy a Radian if not to use to the limits?

Out if the box the Safe Stop is the black extra belt on the back hanging on the top leftish side. You'll undo the harness from the metal splitter plate, put the Safe Stop on the splitter plate, then attach the harness to the Safe Stop.

But yes, it sounds much easier, less aggravating for you, and up to 500% safer to keep him rear facing.

Do you have an angle adjuster to put the seat more upright? That may help with front seat room. Also, let us know why the center doesn't work rear facing. Maybe we can get him in the center AND rear facing for you.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

The center doesn't work because it prohibits the driver seat from being adjusted. I tried everything to get him in the center position but the configuration of all the seats does not work. My husband would never be able to put the driver seat back far enough to drive my car and we use it as our primary vehicle on weekends etc.

I'm just going to put the seat back RF. I always said I'd go to the max height/weight limit of my seat and I gave in to FF early. I will say if we could figure out how to get him RF in the center that would be ideal - I'll try installing it there when I get home tonight to remind myself how frustrating it is to have a car that won't allow RF in the center position. HA!

Thanks for convincing me to stick to my guns in RF...Back around it goes! LOL.

- Angela

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Awesome. I'm glad he's going back rear facing.

And definitely check out the angle adjuster. It can make all the difference.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

So I tried to get him RF in the center seat. I got it so we had enough room for the front driver side, but the width between the shoulder belt and the buckle is too narrow even for a Radian. Once I got it hooked (which took a good 45 minutes) I had to unbuckle to get the clip installed and it was impossible to rebuckle the seatbelt. I have bruises all up and down my forearms and my fingers/hands are killing me! The seat is back on the passenger side, RF, using LATCH.

Thanks for all the feedback ladies. :) I appreciate it!

BTW - I'm in Olympia WA - I notice a few of you are in the PacNW also. Can't wait for spring!! The last few days at 60 degrees has given me major spring fever! Of course it's supposed to rain the next 8 days........

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Did you try just locking the belt, rather than using the locking clip?

I always come home bruised from a long carseat check. Ugh.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Yes - I tried locking the seatbelt instead of using the locking clip but I couldn't get it to lock to my satisfaction. I may have to have my hubby work on getting it re-buckled with the locking clip in the center position. If nothing else, I'll just keep the carseat on the passenger side like he's been for the last 2 years.

Thanks again!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There are two things you can try, instead of the locking clip. I don't know if you have already. First, twist the female seatbelt stalk up to three full turns. That may lower the buckle and make it easier to tighten. Second, if it's just that you can't get it tight enough, buckle it, lock the belt, add weight, tighten, etc. Then unbuckle, let it click back one or two clicks, then rebuckle it. You may have to do that a few times until you get it just right. But that, especially in conjunction with twisting the seatbelt stalk, may get you what you need to install in the middle.

Wendy

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Another option would be to meet up with one of us to help you out. I don't know who (if anybody) is super close to Olympia, but you're not all THAT far from Seattle or Portland... do you go either direction very often?

U

Unregistered

There are two things you can try, instead of the locking clip. I don't know if you have already. First, twist the female seatbelt stalk up to three full turns. That may lower the buckle and make it easier to tighten. Second, if it's just that you can't get it tight enough, buckle it, lock the belt, add weight, tighten, etc. Then unbuckle, let it click back one or two clicks, then rebuckle it. You may have to do that a few times until you get it just right. But that, especially in conjunction with twisting the seatbelt stalk, may get you what you need to install in the middle.

Wendy

I did try the buckle, lock the belt, add weight etc. I just couldn't get it to lock on the tightest setting and re-buckled.

I'll try to twist the female seatbelt, but if I remember correctly, that part of the seatbelt is all hard plastic and sits right next to the female stalk for the side seatbelt. Not much room there for sure! Part of why it's so difficult to get it rebuckled after tightening it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC