f250 ext cab and marathon --

Jenny

I reinstalled my 5 yo marathon in the truck today as I needed to rethread the harnesses, and I think I might have found top tethers (if you push the seats forward as if to close them they are there. THere are no lower anchors in this vehicle (very weird as it is a 2008) and the back seats are full size seats.

I attached the top tether to the hook (there are actually 3 across spaced as if for carseats but I had to put the hook on backwards. (you can see it in the picture)

also another issue (although rock solid) is that the back of the base doesnt touch the seat by maybe 1/2 an inch but the front of the seat base smushes the seat in very much.

Am I good with this install? - please forgive the dirty seats:-(

also, is it okay to use a MA FF with a 35 lb 5 yo WITHOUT a top tether if I cant use the one I found?

THanks in advance for your help !! :D Jenny

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I can't really say whether there's an issue with the fit of the back of the base. It would be helpful if you could take a picture showing the entire Marathon from the side for us to have a full look - is it possible there's a vehicle headrest that can be adjusted behind the MA to make it fit more fully/directly on the vehicle seat?

You should always use a tether anchor when available to tether a forward facing harnessed carseat to help reduce head excursion in a crash. :thumbsup: You can double check your F250's manual but that certainly looks like a top tether anchor in your photo. I don't see a listing for the 2008 F250 model in my LATCH manual to confirm the tether anchor info., but the 2007 Super Cab and the 2002-2005 Crew Cab models are listed with top tether anchors - the 2002-2005 F250 Crew Cabs have 3 tether anchors on the back wall below the rear window, while the 2007 Super Cab has tether anchor loops on top of the rear seat for routing the tether strap to an adjacent loop and connecting to that adjacent loop. There's also an explanation for the weirdness of not having lower LATCH anchors in your F250, too. :) Heavier curb weight vehicles like the F250 model are exempt from having lower LATCH anchors but Ford voluntarily included factory equipped tether anchors in some of its LATCH exempt vehicles.

Jenny

hmmm.. this may be a moot point as I am awaiting the truck's return as it was apparently backed into a parked car this evening (after installing those seats in the 100 degree weather last night!). WHile the truck removed the front bumper of the other vehicle, and supposedly you can see that car's battery -- there is nothing but a scratch on the truck...

now I have to see if I want to replace the seats. (we've had decades without accidents, and now two fender benders in less than a year)

However, when I get a chance I will still take a picture of the entire britax side as I have another marathon I can take from my babysitter's car if I decide not to use this one anymore. ALthough I think given the sheer size of the truck, if his seatbelt pretensors didn't even tighten when he made contact I may be okay with continuing to use the seats (a RN 80 is on the other side)

Thanks for listening to my complaint! Jenny
Jean-- thanks for clearing up the latch mystery for me! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC