Explaining RN to DH...

twinmama92210

So I really want to get RN's for our twins (they are growing out of their Tributes) but dh doesn't see how they can be safe since they don't have the sides on them. He thinks the seats with sides on them are safer. How can I explain to him that they are safe? I have such a hard time "heaving" my dd into her seat in the middle of the Xterra before I can climb in and get her strapped in. Having the RN's would make that so much easier. I had it narrowed down to CA and RN before yesterday morning and then made my mind up but I need to get him to agree.

ADS

aschofield

**I am not a tech** My understanding is that there are no testing requirements for the side impact protection, so no one really know whether or not it is in fact safer.

twinmama92210

I'm thinking he was referring to the sides by the legs, not near the head area. Are the head wings removable? We have Tribute's now and I had to remove the little pillows that came with it and flip the head pillow thing over the back because they don't like it.

hrice

They do have sides. They are 5 or more inches deep along the sides and have a ridge that sticks up in the seating area.

littleangelfire

No sides where? Near the head? NEar the legs? Or the fact that there's no base that makes it sit up high?

If he's worried b/c there doesn't seem to be as deep sides next to the head, you could get the RXT version, however, the headwings don't stay up as well as they should (per carseatblog's review, I believe) and you'll lose a little bit of how long the seat will last b/c they take up some of the height growing room. Also it's important to realize that ANY 5 point harness seat provides some of that side protection just by what it is.

There is some seat that comes up near the legs.

If he's worried that it sits very low to the car without a base, that's actually a really good thing. Number one: fewer connected parts is good. Number two: there was some evidence in testing a while back that indicated a popular seat brand that sat high on a base didn't do very well forward facing, and concluded it was at least in part, I believe, b/c of it sitting so high on the base, higher center of gravity and all. So baseless is great. Also makes it easier for mom to put child in, and for the child himself to climb in without help once he's old enough.

There have been several crashes of members on this board in the last year (unfortunately) and Radians have been involved in several of them - and protected beautifully. I used to never recommend them simply b/c they can be difficult to install in some vehicles. But now that I have one, I'm sold.

twinmama92210

That link to the crash story isn't working for me neither. I think he is talking about the leg area. The kids have Tributes now and the sides come way up on them... I have actually hit the kids' heads a few times getting them in their seat because I have to lift them so high.

Dmcj13

Things that sold my DH:
Steel frame- He is really gung ho on this
Highest RF weight available
Super latch able to be used at any weight in our vehicle
They release crash test info
The ability to use over the top slots- we have 2 very long torsoed kids

Brigala

CPST Instructor
If you don't have the opportunity to take DH down to see one in person (such as at Buy Buy Baby), I suggest ordering one from a place with return shipping and let him actually feel and touch the seat and see the child in it. I think once he actually touches the seat and lifts it and sees how crazy solid it is (esp. compared to a Tribute!!) he'll be sold. If not, you can always return it.

twinmama92210

It shows one store within 50 miles of our house... Now the decision to make is which RN to get... I really wanted colored but not sure if I want the head wings, but that purple is so nice looking :love:

littleangelfire

It shows one store within 50 miles of our house... Now the decision to make is which RN to get... I really wanted colored but not sure if I want the head wings, but that purple is so nice looking :love:

It was hard for me, too. I knew I wanted the infant/toddler padding and the higher weight limits, so the R100 was out. In the end even though the covers were really cool, I didn't want to have to deal with the headwings so I got an R120

Brigala

CPST Instructor
You could always keep your eyes out for a good price on a spare Plum RXT cover and put it on your R120 in the future... RXT covers can be used on R100 and R120 seats, I think, as long as the seats aren't being used in booster mode.

twinmama92210

Well now I'm starting to think maybe I will just go with the R100 because my kids are on the skinnier side so they will most likely outgrow on height anyway. Is there a way to find out if my kids have long torso's? Also if we have any more kids (I'm hoping for one more pregnancy) it will be within the next couple years so I would have to purchase another RN anyways when that one outgrew the SnugRide. So the infant stuff wouldn't be used anyways.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC