Evenflo Embrace Recall

ADS

scatterbunny

Evenflo has received 679 reports of the handle on the car seat/carriers unexpectedly releasing, resulting in 160 injuries to children. These reports include a skull fracture, two concussions, cuts, scrapes and bruises.

Is it just me, or does that sound like an exorbitant amount of reports for Evenflo to receive before deciding to recall? :confused:

C

concerned

My evenflo seat numbers begin with 556 but the date is 9/28/06 for manufacturing. Does this include our seat? Only concerned cause i saw our 556 numbers included. Thanks for any info.

vonfirmath

My evenflo seat numbers begin with 556 but the date is 9/28/06 for manufacturing. Does this include our seat? Only concerned cause i saw our 556 numbers included. Thanks for any info.

If you want to be sure, call Evenflo and ask them.
I'd assume you are fine though because your DOM is after the April 8, 2006 date the recall gives.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
This is what I don't get - they redesigned the handle/reinforced it starting with August 2006 manufacture dates, but they're just recalling the bad seats now? After hundreds of incidents and some serious injuries?

That's really not acceptable.. to fix a problem they knew about, but continue to let parents keep using car seats that they knew could injure kids for an additional 9 months after the fact?

:mad: :thumbsdown:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
recalls take a long time to set up when your retesting the seat over and over again. and think about this, just because there are X about of complaints doesnt mean they all came in before X date. there is no date to show when the issues came forward. it may take 8 months for you to see real data flow =]

Nah...Britax has recalls all the time for things that only a handful of parents complain about and NO children get hurt. Evenflo had the opportunity to learn to make proper handles during all their other recalls over the decade for the SAME issue on other seats, and they didn't... it's definitely negligence to have let this many kids get hurt before having a recall.

skaterbabs

I agree with Julie - if kids are getting hurt from an issue the same company has dealt with repeatedly before, it's not a matter of testing.

jenniferlee

I am noticing that a lot of you think Evenflo seats are bad in general. We have had the express for about 4yrs and are using fit or a second child now and we really have liked it. Easy to put in and out of the car and the straps adjust easily and have never gotten twisted up. Is it not a good seat for another reason?

scatterbunny

jenniferlee, no, we don't think Evenflo seats are all bad. It's a case-by-case basis, it really is. We hate many, many Dorel (Cosco, Eddie Bauer, Safety 1st) seats as well, and some Graco seats, and other brands, too. Opinions here are truly based on the merits of the seat, not our opinion of the company as a whole.

I wanted to quit recommending Evenflo alltogether when I realized they said a 1 year old who hit 30 pounds could safety use one of their belt positioning booster seats. I emailed them with my concerns about this low limit and the customer service rep basically danced around my questions and said it was fine.

But to get back to your question, the Express is a good seat. :) It has very high top slots, which ensures kids can make it to the full harnessed weight limit (40 pounds in the US, 47 pounds in Canada). Lots of other combination harness/boosters have very low top slots and are outgrown by height way too soon. The Evenflo combination seats are among the highest top slots out there for 40 pound weight limit harnesses, so we recommend them quite often (the Express isn't made anymore, but we recommend the Chase, Bolero and Generations all the time).

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My issue with Evenflo is that they did not maintain professional integrity with this situation by letting so many kids get hurt when it's obvious there was a problem + their customer service gives poor advice (letting 12 month olds use backless boosters :eek: :thumbsdown:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC