Question European Routing

Cirwin

Hi,
I am currently 9 months pregnant and am researching infant car seats. I registered for and received the Chicco Keyfit 30 Infant Car Seat and Base, however I went to a car seat workshop and it said that for my use - often in taxis (I live in NYC) or use without the base, it would be much safer to have a carseat that has the European routing system. What is the difference in safety between installing a car seat (assume correctly) without a base when it does and does not have the European routing path?
Thanks to anyone who can give me a clear answer to this question!
Cheryl

ADS

aeormsby

I think the person teaching the class was giving their opinion. I haven't seen any research that shows one way of installing being better than the other. And European routing can be trickier, keeping it simple for trips in a taxi seem like a better way of making sure it's installed correctly every time. :twocents:

Keeyamah

Isn't the European routing supposed offer some anti-rebound as well? Could that be why it was suggested? But I agree, for frequent installs, simple is better.

amyd

It lessens downward rotation which yes, in turn lessens rebound. I like a baseless install with Euro routing personally. Not that I think it's safer per se but I find it easier to get a secure install. Which seats allow it in the US? Just Dorel?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
It lessens downward rotation which yes, in turn lessens rebound. I like a baseless install with Euro routing personally. Not that I think it's safer per se but I find it easier to get a secure install. Which seats allow it in the US? Just Dorel?

I agree -- I love the European belt path and think it gets a great, tight install. I think it's much easier than seats without it. My understanding is that it limits downward rotation -- so essentially the same effect as Aussie-style tethering?

I didn't know that Dorel allows it. I know one if the Snugride seats allows it, but you have to ask Graco directly because they confirm that it can be used, but don't describe it in the manual. The Cybex Aton seats have it and I think the new Peg seat has it too.

biddyk8

Dorel def allow it, I remember I loved it on T's mico. But I am from Europe originally so I'm used to the euro routing, so to me it is very simple and just feels more solid than the other path.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC