Question ERF car seat Suggestions

HeatherMo745

Hi all,
I recently found this site and was reading through a lot of the threads, but not quite finding all my answers. So, here is what I want to know....

What car seat would you recommend for ERF? My daughter is 13 months, 26.6lbs, and 31in tall!

We currently have the AOE that only goes to 35lbs RF and we're looking for different options because we arnt sure how her growth is going to be over the next 2 years and I'm not pleased with sitting in the dash!

We have an 05 Tahoe Z71. The second row only has the 2 seats so installing in the center is not an option.

Please help! :)

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
The Graco MyRide, Evenflo Triumph or Momentum, or Diono Radian are all great choices that go to 40 pounds RF (45 if you get a Radian 120 or RXT). Typically you can get a more upright installation by pulling the seat slightly away from the seat bight (the crack of the vehicle seat) and putting lots of pressure at the front of the car seat, where the child's feet would be, as you tighten the seat belt or LATCH strap. Older kids can sit more upright and that'll save your room front - back.

The MyRide and Triumph are already pretty trim front to back, the Radian can be installed with the Diono angle adjuster, which makes it sit more upright and very trim as well.

HeatherMo745

Have you heard much about the graco smart seat? We went to BRU today and tried seats in our car. That one fit behind my husbands seat and he's 6'2"! I have heard that those are no good for tall children though, is this true? I can't find the RF height anywhere, but it said RF until 40lbs

cookie123

I really like the Radian for rf an older kid. It's got no high sides, so easy to load, or have them do it themselves. No bonked heads. It's low to the vehicle seat, so easy for them to get into themselves. It's tall enough to last to just about anyone's rearfacing dream. Also, more leg room than most seats. Matthew was very comfortable until 3.5, at which time he met the weight limit.

You may need an angle adjuster, sold separately, if your car is small.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Have you heard much about the graco smart seat? We went to BRU today and tried seats in our car. That one fit behind my husbands seat and he's 6'2"! I have heard that those are no good for tall children though, is this true? I can't find the RF height anywhere, but it said RF until 40lbs

The Smart Seat is definitely not worth the price at all - and it's a pain to install. for 1/3 of the cost you can get any of the seats I mentioned, and it'll last the same amount of time and be easier to use. :D

HeatherMo745

Does BRU sale the Radian? The only reason I ask is because I didn't see it in there and we were planning to do the whole trade in even thing

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Does BRU sale the Radian? The only reason I ask is because I didn't see it in there and we were planning to do the whole trade in even thing

Not in store - they do sell it online. I don't remember what the word is if they'll let you trade in and special order an online item from the store with the discount.

Most of the time though, online prices are better to begin with than BRU prices WITH the trade in discount anyway.

HeatherMo745

emma41256 said:
Not in store - they do sell it online. I don't remember what the word is if they'll let you trade in and special order an online item from the store with the discount.

Most of the time though, online prices are better to begin with than BRU prices WITH the trade in discount anyway.

Awesome, I'll go check it out online! Thanks!

HeatherMo745

ok so i told my DH about the Radian and showed it to him. He isn't thrilled and still wants the smart seat. I thought price would win him over, but the cheapest im finding it for is $247.99. Is that about right or am I looking in the wrong places. I LOVE the idea of my DD RF until 45lbs!

I think my DH is just stuck on the smart seat because when my DD was about 5months he saw it and wanted it for her. After we tried it in our vehicle i was pretty much sold as well. After talking on here im looking towards the Radian. Plus, the smart seat really bursts my bubble with those arm rests. Graco says they are "flip-up" arm rests, but i tried for a good 15 mins in the store, the darn things WOULDN'T flip-up! lol that is hard on me because i have to lift my 26.6 lb baby into the car seat over the darn things!

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
ok so i told my DH about the Radian and showed it to him. He isn't thrilled and still wants the smart seat. I thought price would win him over, but the cheapest im finding it for is $247.99. Is that about right or am I looking in the wrong places. I LOVE the idea of my DD RF until 45lbs!

I think my DH is just stuck on the smart seat because when my DD was about 5months he saw it and wanted it for her. After we tried it in our vehicle i was pretty much sold as well. After talking on here im looking towards the Radian. Plus, the smart seat really bursts my bubble with those arm rests. Graco says they are "flip-up" arm rests, but i tried for a good 15 mins in the store, the darn things WOULDN'T flip-up! lol that is hard on me because i have to lift my 26.6 lb baby into the car seat over the darn things!

Wait.... so he'll spend $300 on a Smart Seat, but he won't spend $250 on a Radian? :scratcheshead:

You don't have to get an RXT, you can get a 120 and the only difference is not having the headwings. They're $220 on sale at babyviva.com right now.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Radian R120 is $218 at Justkidsstore.com http://www.justkidsstore.com/prod/diono/radian-r120-car-seat/daytona

You'll likely want an Angle Adjuster for it, which is another $10... not sure when they'll have them in stock at Justkidsstore, though - it's just showing as "coming soon."

The Smart Seat isn't bad, it's just expensive and hard to install and it's outgrown a lot faster than the Radian for rear facing. According to the database we have here, it is two inches shorter than the Radian (for RF), which translates to about two YEARS less use for most children. It's even shorter for RF than the Britax Roundabout 55.

What is it that he liked about it? Did you actually install it in your car? Not just set it on the seat, of course. And did you read through the manual?

HeatherMo745

The most we would have paid for the smart seat was about 225..we were planning on using a 25% off. he was more willing to buy that because we got a fast easy install into our vehicle with the seat belt (couldn't get the LATCH tight enough though). I like the belt lock off on the base as well. I loved that it has a level indicator on it, not just the line. I think his liking for it was just from the fact that HE picked it out, and the fact that there was no fuss for me while installing. Our current AOE was a PAIN to get level.

What angle does the radian have to be at? He wants to see it installed so i think ill call buy buy baby and see if they have it for us to try in the car.

Although, I think I may have just sold him on the radian because you can collapse it and wear it like a back pack lol. He is military, which means we fly home a lot, and the fact that smart seat is not FAA approved was a draw back.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Oh, if you fly a lot, that makes the Smart Seat really suck!

The Radian doesn't have a very specific recline angle it needs to be at. Anywhere from 30 degrees to 45 degrees are all allowable. It doesn't really adjust easily, but the optional angle adjuster I mentioned earlier helps it to be more upright and can be really helpful in cars where the seats aren't heavily sloped. You cannot use pool noodles with the Radian, and you'll rarely or never find a car that needs them; a more common problem is with it being TOO reclined (hence the angle adjuster, which works a lot like a pool noodle but in reverse).

Buy Buy Baby should have them in stock. Even better is if you can find a car-seat.org tech nearby who either has one you can try, or can meet you at BBB. The Radian is not the easiest seat to install. It should be a dream after doing the AOE, but it may not be as easy as the Smart Seat.

The Radian is an excellent seat to fly with. At your daughter's age, she can face forward on the airplane (pack the rear-facing boot in your carry-on luggage for in the car at your destination), and it will fit nicely in the airplane seat with the arm rests down and she can even use the tray table. It's heavy, but it makes up for that by being a lot less awkward due to its folding ability and trim profile.

Pixels

The Radian allows 45 degrees or more upright. There is no limit to how upright you can put it, other than practicality.

HeatherMo745

Brigala said:
Oh, if you fly a lot, that makes the Smart Seat really suck!

The Radian doesn't have a very specific recline angle it needs to be at. Anywhere from 30 degrees to 45 degrees are all allowable. It doesn't really adjust easily, but the optional angle adjuster I mentioned earlier helps it to be more upright and can be really helpful in cars where the seats aren't heavily sloped. You cannot use pool noodles with the Radian, and you'll rarely or never find a car that needs them; a more common problem is with it being TOO reclined (hence the angle adjuster, which works a lot like a pool noodle but in reverse).

Buy Buy Baby should have them in stock. Even better is if you can find a car-seat.org tech nearby who either has one you can try, or can meet you at BBB. The Radian is not the easiest seat to install. It should be a dream after doing the AOE, but it may not be as easy as the Smart Seat.

The Radian is an excellent seat to fly with. At your daughter's age, she can face forward on the airplane (pack the rear-facing boot in your carry-on luggage for in the car at your destination), and it will fit nicely in the airplane seat with the arm rests down and she can even use the tray table. It's heavy, but it makes up for that by being a lot less awkward due to its folding ability and trim profile.

Is there a list on here somewhere that has the carseat techs??

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC