ERF 2011 T&C

R

R2D2

Hi,

I've been using the search function to read as much as I can about the new rules and LATCH v. belt installs. Right now it's down to seat fits and belt installs that hopefully you can help me with.

My 2 year 8 month old is 36 " tall 35 lb mostly torso. Currently he's in older child's Complete Air 65 but obviously coming up on height and weight limits. Since I'd like to RF as close to 4 as possible I'm trying out the Diono Radian RXT and the Peg Perego Viaggio 5-70.

So, installs. I've read that quite a few people battle the sloped seat design shared by Town & Country, Dodge Caravan and VW Routan. Considering the new limitations on LATCH for combined child and seat weight I'm even further limited in choice.

To RF:

Diono Radian RXT must be installed with seatbelt because not only are we approaching if not meeting the combined weight max for LATCH I don't trust Superlatch due to multiple reports of loosening. I read here that the seatbelt stalks in the 2nd row captain's chairs will not be compatible with a Radian RXT RFing? Can someone set me straight on that?

Peg Perego Viaggio 5-70 is a fabulous seat and my block-shaped younger child fits very comfortably in it. The combined weight works perfectly with LATCH to get him near the 45 lb. RF limit before turning around. However, we're on the 6th notch with the upper RF limit at 7th notch. There is not a lot of shell over his head even at the 6th notch and the harness straps are just under his shoulder level now. It looks like he has *possibly* 2 inches of torso growth before the shell is either outgrown or the harness slots are outgrown even below shoulder level. I wish, wish, wish the Peg had more room in the shell and torso because it's such a nice seat.

Complete Air 65 SE has served me well through two kids but it's got issues. The first is the recline angle as a first generation it came with only one line that should be parallel to the ground. I think I'm okay with getting it within ten degrees of that line. More pressing is how much the straps, including LATCH straps, seem to get horribly twisted especially since they are part of the same continuous strap--you pull one side and the other is tugged. Even if we get a good clean reinstallation on the CA we're facing the total height limit in 3 inches of growth or 5 more lbs.

Growth curve indicates a steady gainer there's no way we're going to make it to 4 RF in the CA, which is unfortunate because there's plenty of shell over his head to make it to 4. His clothing size is minimally 3T for most brands, 4T for some but in width not height. He's strangely broad shouldered for a toddler the CA kind of squishes him there.

Should mention Foonf is not a seat I'm considering. Cost for usability at this size doesn't seem worthy and its rigid LATCH usability for a 30 lb seat evaporated when the new LATCH limits were released.

Thanks for help.

ADS

MommyShannon

I think the Radian is the only choice that makes sense. The CA will get you as far as the Peg will most likely. It just isn't tall enough at its top rf spot. I think its very likely that most 40" kids will have outgrown the Peg already or be right at it. Since your son is only 35lbs, he probably won't pass 40lbs before outgrowing by height. I don't know how the install is in your van though.

Phineasmama

I tried installing my radian in the captains chairs and outboard 3rd row seats with the seat belt and couldn't seem to get a tight install at all. I've only used them with latch :(

ETA: I have a 2010 Grand Caravan, so same thing.

Ozella21

I know Foonf isn't I on your list but I will tell you I got a rock solid RF install in a 2013 grand caravan using seatbelt in Both the captains chair and the drivers side third row outboard seat. How does the graco size for me or the myride fit your kiddo, they may be an option.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC