emergency car seat puzzling - anyone up for it?

twokidstwodogs

Okay, I'm clearly neurotic, but I have been thinking about how I might be able to convey not only my kids, but my close friend's kids, in the event of an emergency. (We live in an area where emergency evacuations are a real possibility.) I'm assuming that I will not have access to any of her seats, or our seats that are installed in my husband's car. So it would just be what I have in my car and in my basement.

The car:
2006 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Shoulder belts: all seating positions
LATCH: lower anchors in rear outboard, top tether anchors in all three rear seats
Airbags: front and side in front, side curtain in all rows. Front airbag has a passenger weight sensor.

The kids:
4.5 y.o, 48 lbs, 46 inches
Almost 3 y.o, 31-32 lbs, 37 inches
17 month old, 26 lbs, 34 inches
10 month old, over 20 lbs, not sure about length

The seats:
Roundabout with LATCH
Marathon with LATCH
Compass B510
Graco Turbobooster

As one kid would have to ride in the front seat, and the not quite 3 y.o. would have to ride in a booster, we're obviously talking major emergencies only. Fitting three seats across the Legacy would be a big challenge, but let's assume it's doable.

Here's what I'm thinking:
4.5 y.o. in B510, passenger outboard
3 y.o. in Turbobooster, center rear
10 m.o. in RF Roundabout, driver outboard
17 month old FF in MA, passenger front seat, pushed all the way back.

(Would the airbag sensors matter here? Would it be better to put her RF in the front, and assume the sensors will do their job? Or is that too risky?)

ADS

Splash

Hmm....
I say move the RA to the passenger side outboard, and the compass to the driver side. Install the RA as upright as possible. Then push the front seat all the way back and tether the MA in the front seat to the tether in the roof that would belong to the back seat seating position.

twokidstwodogs

Ooh, that's an idea. I love the idea of tethering the MA. The only catch is that the Legacy's rear seat is very small. Our RA is currently RF behind the driver's seat. It's quite upright, but it's still hard to push the driver's seat back very far. Would the ability to tether the MA make up for the fact that the seat couldn't be pushed back as far?

I completely forgot that I own a Safeguard Go! So the 3 y.o. should clearly go in that, not the Turbobooster. That means I could use the TB for the 4.5 y.o., which would much easier to put in a three-across situation than the Compass.

(We normally store the Go in my husband's car, though, so it would be great if I could get responses that both do and don't assume I have the Go with me.)

Splash

I think you've got too much time on your hands honestly!

Okay, TB outboard passenger
Safeguard GO front seat (no big base and doesn't sit as far out, so there is more room between child and airbag) tethered to ceiling in the back.
RA center
MA driver outboard

If that doesn't fit, then swap the MA and GO, and try to get the GO in the middle instead.

No GO
MA front seat tethered
TB center
Compass passenger
RA driver

But where are you putting the mom? On the roof rack?

twokidstwodogs

I think you've got too much time on your hands honestly!

LOL! Actually, I'm a college professor with an enormous stack of exams to grade next to me and no motivation to grade them! But if I don't, I'll be up until the wee hours.

Yes, the other mom will go on the roof rack. I guess I'd better get some cross bars. (Actually, I was assuming that I had her kids while she was off somewhere else.)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hmm... this is a tough one.

Is the Legacy similar to the Outback at all? I had a BEAR of a time installing a RF Marathon in a 2006 Outback. I could not, no matter what I did, get the seat in the center. The seatbelt that comes from the ceiling made it VERY VERY difficult to get a solid installation. We wound up putting the seat outboard. That worked well.

twokidstwodogs

I think it is pretty similar to the Outback. I tried very briefly to get my RF RA in the center position, and found it to be a royal pain as well. Between the hump and the belt, it just didn't work. Outboard, it installed beautifully. I have no idea what, if anything, would fit best in there in a three-across situation. Probably nothing, so I will just hope no emergencies arise!

Splash

I have a 2006 Forester (which I hate... grrr) and while it is impossible to get a RF seat in the middle, a FF seat goes in very nice and solid. When trying the seat out in the outback, I was able to get his BV in RF (using the lockoff and a lot of yoga moves) but since I don't trust the lockoffs in the least, I would not have left it there. However, again, FF was fine.
My dad just bought a new Legacy wagon and while I haven't put Charlie's seat in it yet, it looks like I would be able to get it in FF there are well.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Splash, just curious as to why you dislike the Forester? Is it due to the tight fit for carseats in the middle or the seatbelt design? Or is it something more? Just curious, because it's on my list of vehicles for DH (aka uber freakish long torso dude) to "try on" for head room before we replace his car. Sorry for the thread jack... but I'd appreciate details if you feel like sharing. Thanks. :)

Splash

I dislike the difficulty with car seats, yes. I also dislike the fact that the rear windows don't roll down, which I neglected to check (silly me) before buying the thing.
I hate that the seatbelts are almost impossible to raise and lower while you're in the car. The headrests are the same way. I don't like that it has horrible body roll and just turning a corner causes everything in the car to fly to the opposite side. I HATE HATE HATE ABSOLUTELY LOATHE the fact that the SECOND you put the key in the ignition, the car starts screaming and WILL NOT SHUT UP until you buckle your seatbelt. Now I don't drive without one, but I think it is RIDICULOUS for the alarm to to go off when the car is in PARK and there isn't even ANYONE in it! And it cannot be turned off.
I don't like the controls. They're extremely non intuitive and for the life of me I still cannot figure out how to unlock my damn doors.

It's a nice car, and a safe car, and a reliable car. But it is NOT the car for me. And I am to the point where I am willing to take a gigantic financial hit by trading it in after only owning it for a few months (and less than 4000 miles).

Oh, and I've already had to replace ALL the tires at MY expense because they were all leaking air and Subaru couldn't figure out why. Then I had a blow out on one. That was about 3 weeks ago, to the tune of about $600.

Oh, and it's a gas hog. And we don't go anywhere as a family because Jean thinks it's the most uncomfortable vehicle ever.

And the A/C doesn't get very cold.

Jeanum

Staff member
Thanks for the review, Splash. I'll show DH your reply and see if he will want to go in for a Forester "fitting" now. (I'm thinking probably no). He doesn't test drive cars so much as he tries them on like he's buying a new suit or something. It has to fit him and I have veto power on safety ratings, carseat installation and user friendly factors. Sorry to hear you're unhappy and that really stinks about the tires on such a new car. Any luck contacting Subaru corporate or the tire company?

Splash

No, Subaru doesn't cover tires in their warranty, adn the manufacturer warranty is for tread wear only.
To be fair, I do need to tell you that it appears I am the only person in recorded history who does not want to make babies with my Forester, so don't rule it out. I don't like it, but I've never met another person who owned one who wouldn't sell their child for it.

Jeanum

Staff member
Okay, lol, good to know. I promise I will make him try it out first. This is the same guy who convinced me to buy a Saturn wagon when we needed a second car after he finished grad school, but now he says he only wants to drive a sedan. :rolleyes:

Again, sorry for the thread jack. :eek:

twokidstwodogs

No worries about the thread jack! I owned a Forester for seven years, and traded it in for the Legacy. Bummer about the tires. I put Michelin Harmony tires on my 1999 Forester and loved them. If you keep it, check those out. (not sure about the sizing). Why on earth don't the windows roll down? They rolled down on my 99 one, and my Legacy's windows roll down, though only halfway.

Interestingly, my husband also hated the Forester. He is 6'2", and while he had plenty of headroom, he just had no place to put his long legs. (Of course, rear-facing child seats don't help that.) He is much more comfortable in the Legacy. Less headroom, more legroom. I, however, loved the Forester. I would have considered another if they had side curtain airbags in the rear. (Both my kids are outboard.) I must say, though the luxury and performance of the Legacy have won me over.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC